Kept Current affairs prep for last 7 weeks, Is it a good strategy?

I am revising static part and preparing my optional. Have plan to do so till may.
Would be preparing Current affairs from May 1, will it be too little too late?

Those who have given prelims before kindly help

Comments

• Lampsey said:

I am revising static part and preparing my optional. Have plan to do so till may.

If you are going to prepare only current affairs after 1 May then it might be possible but it will be highly risky game. However by that time visionias pt 365 material come in market then get hold of it and prepare it thoroughly. Again 1 month is very less to prepare current affairs of whole year.
  • I dont think its a good strategy..you should have revised stuff over time before prelims to answer them in the paper..

Since you can't eat food for 6 months at once same way you can't study it at once and solve paper.

Current should be done along side so that as you revise them near the exam time...they just get embedded in your mind...this way its easier to retain rather than piling yourself with plethora of info near to prelims.
    Lampsey said:

• 365 will be out in April 1st week..start then only...70 days are sufficient if you know static things..solve tests, do current and revise more in last 70 days
    Prelims - 3, Mains - 2*, Interview - 0.
  • docSV said:

I dont think its a good strategy..you should have revised stuff over time before prelims to answer them in the paper..

Since you can't eat food for 6 months at once same way you can't study it at once and solve paper.

Current should be done along side so that as you revise them near the exam time...they just get embedded in your mind...this way its easier to retain rather than piling yourself with plethora of info near to prelims.

Lampsey said:

365 will be out in April 1st week..start then only...70 days are sufficient if you know static things..solve tests, do current and revise more in last 70 days

Thanks Reading the feedback I have decided to give atleast 2 hours to current affairs from now only. will increase the propotion with time left for prelims..

• edited March 8
    @Lampsey , telling from first hand experience: procrastination is never a good strategy.

Read the paper daily. Devote 2-3 days a month to revise Vision monthly magazine. 2 days a month to Yojana for niche facts.
    Subscribe to PIB e-mails and note down ONLY the factual stuff not covered in newspaper somewhere on a daily or a weekly basis.
    Revise these things and solve (and analyze) as many mocks as possible. You'll be able to answer most of the questions from these things. The others are meant to be left.
    At least 40 questions were directly from PT365 last time. That may not always be the case. This time's paper may be full of art, culture and geography for all we know. You'll forget all of them if you read only current affairs for last 7 weeks.

P.S: I have had piles of newspapers running up to 60-70 (1 month's duration) several times during the course of my prep, thinking that I'll read the previous week's papers all at once on Sunday. That NEVER EVER happens. My mom sold the entire lot for Jan and Feb to the kabaadiwaala just yesterday.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • @Lampsey , telling from first hand experience: procrastination is never a good strategy.

Read the paper daily. Devote 2-3 days a month to revise Vision monthly magazine. 2 days a month to Yojana for niche facts.
    Subscribe to PIB e-mails and note down ONLY the factual stuff not covered in newspaper somewhere on a daily or a weekly basis.
    Revise these things and solve (and analyze) as many mocks as possible. You'll be able to answer most of the questions from these things. The others are meant to be left.
    At least 40 questions were directly from PT365 last time. That may not always be the case. This time's paper may be full of art, culture and geography for all we know. You'll forget all of them if you read only current affairs for last 7 weeks.

P.S: I have had piles of newspapers running up to 60-70 (1 month's duration) several times during the course of my prep, thinking that I'll read the previous week's papers all at once on Sunday. That NEVER EVER happens. My mom sold the entire lot for Jan and Feb to the kabaadiwaala just yesterday.

+10000
  • @Lampsey , telling from first hand experience: procrastination is never a good strategy.

Thanks dr. Bhai
  • renolds said:

@Lampsey , telling from first hand experience: procrastination is never a good strategy.

Thanks dr. Bhai
    Ek thee India Bhai and Dusree aap ho Dr.Bhai. :p
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog