"I really don't think there is anything that is better structured and more interactive in regard to Mains than the ForumIAS Mains Guidance Program." - Mitali Sethi (IAS-2016, AIR-56)
MGP Schedule C - Admissions Open Now!
Click here to read more
*Limited Seats. First Come, First Serve basis only.
Mains 2017 : The Only Course you will need to Score 400+ in GS
Mains Foundation 2017 by Ravi R Chokkalingam – to cover GS Paper 2, Paper 3, Paper 1 (Social Issues), Ethics & Essay – with 4 Full Length Mock Tests.
Classes (Online | Offline) commence from 27th June for Mains Foundation, Mains Current Affairs, GS Paper III, Ethics & Essay

Call : 9555923039 for early bird discounts

How much is too long or too short for an Essay?

edited February 27 in Essay
The stated requirement is 1000-1200 words for an essay. But by how much words on either side of the limit can one loom and still get good marks? Especially what will be too short for an essay?
तदबीर से बिगड़ी हुई तक़दीर बना ले, अपने पे भरोसा है तो एक दाँव लगा ले।
·

Comments

• edited February 27
    I pissed you off on that Ramjas College thread. So, I guess, I owe you one. :blush:

Well, go by the time in essay. Not by words. Make sure that you finish the first one by 10:30 am. 10:35 tops. That is, finish the first essay in one and half hours, on the dot. This way you will have enough time to concentrate on next one without panicking in the end.

As for the shortness, I would suggest not to leave more than one page empty.
    Meet any mock test copy checker. He/She will tell you that number of empty pages in any answer booklet do play a psychological role in awarding of marks. So, try filling all the pages.

If you find yourself to be particularly slow midway during essay, do the following:
    - increase gap between the words a bit.
    - increase gap between the lines.
    - start giving more paragraph breaks
    - draw a cycle diagram or some sort of diagram or flow chart. I myself didn't draw one in exam but I practiced it in mocks.

Obviously, you'll be able to handle these things diligently in exam hall if you have practiced them before hand in mocks. I joined Vision's essay series. Amol Nerkar sir there was real good. I had one on one sitting with them and he rectified many of my doubts.

All the best Richard Parker...

Do turn back and acknowledge Pi before disappearing into the jungle... :D
    CSM 2015 | CSE 2016 - Ranked it Out!!
    Thank Lord Shiva...
    ·
  • I guess we are even now... :wink:
    Thank Lord Shiva...
    ·
  • @mayurasharman @Richard_Parker
    Ladai karke sulah karna ka maja hi kuch aur hai. :)

On a serious note, it is very important to go through what toppers have written. I hope you have seen Essays on Vision IAS toppers section.
    Examples,
    Writing in First person,
    Analysis techniques like PESTEL, Pros and Cons, SWOT etc are fool proof ways to deal with a topic.
    Recently I bought a simple book by Arihant on Essays(available in the market) and going through in Area Wise(Say, Education), slowly.

Sticking to word limits can only be achieved with previously prepared themes, like Gandhi, Women Issues, Environment. So you prepare each theme in a week an then compile all the material every week. After having done this, attempt and write on your own.
    If you are able to write all the points which you have incorporated in your notes, then thats pretty much your best. You'll get the marks.
    Bottom line, prepare themes, practice weekly. Leave it to the lord!

This in addition to what Mayurasharman has told.
    ·
  • तदबीर से बिगड़ी हुई तक़दीर बना ले, अपने पे भरोसा है तो एक दाँव लगा ले।
    ·
  • Anytime brother...

But I would differ with the other good member above on on point.

I don't think that mock answer copies of previous year toppers are of any help. IMHO, essay is a very subjective thing. Almost everyone has his own style of writing. Force-fitting someone else's style to yourself will not yield desired results.

And this is not just an opinion. I have empirical proof.

I myself purchased copies of Ira Singhal's mock essays from KBC. But I had a major conflict of writing style with her. Mine is more fact based while her's was more philosophical. I tend to quote more facts and figures and events.
    Amol Sir at Vision asked me to ditch Ira's copies and write in my own style. And only then I started scoring good in essay mocks.

In my first attempt, I had 121 marks in essay. And I am sure that essay would have played a major role in my selection this time.

So, keep this opinion in mind while strategizing.

All the best again, Richard Parker... :)
    Thank Lord Shiva...
    ·
  • edited February 28

The stated requirement is 1000-1200 words for an essay. But by how much words on either side of the limit can one loom and still get good marks? Especially what will be too short for an essay?

In the multiple essay era I've written 750-900 words essays each, in the past 2 years, and scored decent marks (125,140). So my experience says that around 800 could be the lower limit. Handwriting size and letter spacing may matter too in the context of appearance. I remember leaving 2 full pages blank in the most recent one.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·
  • So here is the proof that UPSC shows the answer copy.

D.P agarwal sir himself saying this, see video at near 47th min.

Many people for the sake of misguiding others were propagating false news on forumias that UPSC have denined to show the checked answersheets.......utterly false.

So get your copies and analyze it.....dont waste your precious little time on gossiping on forum. Use it wisely and productively
    ·
  • Bhai, leave the prepration,and ponder inside, if you cant decide urself how long ur essay should be....

If u cant decide this thing, how would u decide the future of millions of people of a district?

Yaha forum per bakchodi karwalo......(sorry for my words....but most ppl ask nonsense questions to be in discussion)

Areeeee think u r the examinar of 20 year experience, what u want to see in the copy of an aspirant......do u like a copy who just beaten around the bush and just filled the pages and even after 10 pages he was not able to take a clear stand on issue....and just written pros and cons and conclude with a diplomatic stand on the issue where a clear stand is needed?
    We need a commited beaurocracy with a democratic mindset who can think logically and see the merits of agguments in fovor and against and can decide.
    ·
  • edited February 28

Bhai, leave the prepration,and ponder inside, if you cant decide urself how long ur essay should be....

If u cant decide this thing, how would u decide the future of millions of people of a district?

Yaha forum per bakchodi karwalo......(sorry for my words....but most ppl ask nonsense questions to be in discussion)

Areeeee think u r the examinar of 20 year experience, what u want to see in the copy of an aspirant......do u like a copy who just beaten around the bush and just filled the pages and even after 10 pages he was not able to take a clear stand on issue....and just written pros and cons and conclude with a diplomatic stand on the issue where a clear stand is needed?
    We need a commited beaurocracy with a democratic mindset who can think logically and see the merits of agguments in fovor and against and can decide.

1. This is not bakchodi. This is a genuine query regarding essay.

2. You are talking nonsense yourself. Don't masturbate yourself with fancy notions. The sooner you get rid of these fairy tale ideas, the better and focussed your prep will become.
    Thank Lord Shiva...
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google