Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

Changed approach of UPSC in asking modern indian history questions

After seeing the questions of the today's examination paper of EPFO (26.02.2017) and previous year upsc civil services preliminary exam (2016)especially for modern indian history it seems that upsc has moved from the traditional questions of modern india(at least for time being) ". Can any one suggest from where we can read the social reforms in 19th century as hardly a single question can be tarced from SPECTRUM "or NCERT or BIPIN CHANDRA . Any source if u know kindly suggest...
·

Comments

• Kuch questions share karo.
    Not everybody here gave the exam today.

Also exactly what change are you talking about? The focus away from 1885-1947 period or Ancient/Med new found focus?
    ·
  • See the question you will not be able to find anyone from soectrum or bipin chandra
    IMG-20170226-WA0010.jpeg
    1440 x 2560 - 432K
    IMG-20170226-WA0007.jpeg
    1440 x 2560 - 425K
    IMG-20170226-WA0003.jpeg
    1440 x 2560 - 368K
    IMG-20170226-WA0005.jpeg
    1440 x 2560 - 423K
    IMG-20170226-WA0012.jpeg
    1440 x 2560 - 409K
    ·
  • After seeing the questions of the today's examination paper of EPFO (26.02.2017) and previous year upsc civil services preliminary exam (2016)especially for modern indian history it seems that upsc has moved from the traditional questions of modern india(at least for time being) ". Can any one suggest from where we can read the social reforms in 19th century as hardly a single question can be tarced from SPECTRUM "or NCERT or BIPIN CHANDRA . Any source if u know kindly suggest...

Bro how much was current affairs portion asked ?
    ·
  • Current affairs was in ample size and mistly they asked the various schemes of current govt as a whole that is not just of a year... Other questions from current was asked from labour point of view like ILO and labour rights etc... The most dramatic change is in the approach of history questions that is really weird because in static part we need to be accurate and history forms an imp segment as current env can be very confusing at times and even though u know the things in these segments it may go wrong. I have searched some sources like bipin chandra shekhar bandhopadyay, spectrum and vd mahajan. These questions are not from these sources. If any one finds kindly share

·
  • Can history optional guys suggest any book to read modern indian history to tackle any bouncer from UPSC?
    ·
  • Tension bad gaya
    ·
  • Even people of history optional will be clean bowled in these questions.
    ·
  • See the question you will not be able to find anyone from soectrum or bipin chandra

Q31 shashi tharoor ki nayi book an era of darkness se uthaya gya h..
    ·
  • Gurukul said:

See the question you will not be able to find anyone from soectrum or bipin chandra

Can u click the snapshort of the page of book. N post it here.
    ·
  • renolds said:

Gurukul said:

See the question you will not be able to find anyone from soectrum or bipin chandra

Jo log clear kar lete hai always yehi bolte hai ki ncert n spectrum hi read ki thi . How they sail through it.?????
    ·
  • DCDC
    edited March 4
    Gurukul said:

@Gurukul
    कुछ किये बिना ही जय जय कार नहीं होती
    कोशिश करने वालों की हार नहीं होती
    ·
  • Yes. Even in CSE 2016 they asked 2-3 such weird questions. For eg I remember about KC Sen and Tabernacle Dispensation which is not there in Spectrum or NCERT. Or is it?
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·
  • Yes. Even in CSE 2016 they asked 2-3 such weird questions. For eg I remember about KC Sen and Tabernacle Dispensation which is not there in Spectrum or NCERT. Or is it?

nah.....it was in Grover. even last year CAPF such weird questions

·
  • edited March 4

Yes. Even in CSE 2016 they asked 2-3 such weird questions. For eg I remember about KC Sen and Tabernacle Dispensation which is not there in Spectrum or NCERT. Or is it?

So even for "general" studies they expect us to read 3 books for one third of a subject (ancient, medieval and modern). Every night I sleep to the mental image of Tigamanshu Dhulia as Ramadheer Singh talking to me.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·
  • Q21. current affairs... there were many articles about Ambedkar last yr.
    Q22, 23, 27 Shekhar Bandhyopadhyaya Q 31 also (not sure)
    Q28, 30 Binin chandra, Q29 NIOS

But I don't think its wise to read new books now. All one can do is be active reader rather than passive... read one book for one topic but take down key events, names and google more about them... Or just forget everything.. blindly mark all 100 questions and some black magic will do.
    ·
  • It's futile exercise now to go for new books other than the conventional sources.
    ·
  • smoke said:

Q21. current affairs... there were many articles about Ambedkar last yr.
    Q22, 23, 27 Shekhar Bandhyopadhyaya Q 31 also (not sure)
    Q28, 30 Binin chandra, Q29 NIOS

But I don't think its wise to read new books now. All one can do is be active reader rather than passive... read one book for one topic but take down key events, names and google more about them... Or just forget everything.. blindly mark all 100 questions and some black magic will do.

For bold part, first option is ok, but where to get this second option done from?
    Ye waqt b guzar jayega. Keep patience.
    ·
  • You need not attempt each and every question to clear the prelims... There will be bouncers by UPSC each year for which which majority batsmen will have no answer... You will have to leave them, otherwise it will hit your head and make u retired hurt for that year... Worrying too much on these type of questions is not in the interest of the candidate... If u do so for each such type of question you will lose 4-5 or many more easy questions..
    "Unpredictable" Public Service Commission and Uncertain Future.
    ·

• For bold part, first option is ok, but where to get this second option done from?

Don't know :neutral:

After 2016 prelims the rational being in me died... I found the paper out of the world. Others said it was the easiest in recent years. When i told them i could only attempt 70, they said attempting at least 90 is the key. Who play safe will remain behind the cut off and those who take risk will cross it.

·

So even for "general" studies they expect us to read 3 books for one third of a subject (ancient, medieval and modern). Every night I sleep to the mental image of Tigamanshu Dhulia as Ramadheer Singh talking to me.
    haha...we have to be like Definite

·
  • edited March 4
    renolds said:

Gurukul said:

Yes I will..currently I m on election duty for up elections in Varanasi..I will post the details after election on 8th as book is at my home...
    ·

We all know this is a relative exam and UPSC has no option but to eliminate certain amount of candidates to accommodate its vacancy numbers. And, actually the competition is cut-throat so what do you expect UPSC to do? Questions from regular books will fetch marks and so the number of aspirants getting good marks will also increase and in return the cut off will also jump. Students are reading 2-3 books for each subjects now and UPSC knows it very well and thus tries to diversify the game topicwise each year.

What is difficult for a well-read candidate will be difficult for almost all other candidates as well. This is a sick game and it will continue to increase in years to come and demographic dividend has a lot to do with it too. Fasten your seat belts, tough times.
    ·
  • renolds said:

renolds said:

Gurukul said:

Jo log clear kar lete hai always yehi bolte hai ki ncert n spectrum hi read ki thi . How they sail through it.?????
    Because they attempt what they can and leave what they can't, instead of attempting everything.
    Prelims: 4*. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
    ·

• Because they attempt what they can and leave what they can't, instead of attempting everything.

What different things one can do, after failing pre (twice :/)
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog