ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Panacea for Noisy Neighbours on one side and Noise of Busy Traffic on the other for 24 hrs

Hey Friends !

On one side of my room - there is noise of : -
Neighbour's Child - keeps screaming from 5 am till 11 pm with some rare silent periods. Never expected that these little angels can be so troublesome.
T.V. - Can literally hear dialogues of soap operas.

The real problem is that the flats and rooms are congested.

On the other side - there is noise of Busy Traffic for entire 24 hrs.

I have already tried NRR 29 db Earplugs. It blocks the sound of voices of people talking to me but not of neighbours' child or tv or traffic. Ironical !

I am unable to study or sleep properly even for a couple of hours.

Please suggest me some solution for this as on any better Earplugs, Earmuffs or White Noise Machines.
·

Comments

• messimik said:

Hey Friends !

Neighbour's Child - keeps screaming from 5 am till 11 pm with some rare silent periods. Never expected that these little angels can be so troublesome.

I have already tried NRR 29 db Earplugs. It blocks the sound of voices of people talking to me but not of neighbours' child or tv or traffic. Ironical !

Please suggest me some solution for this as on any better Earplugs, Earmuffs or White Noise Machines.

Dude I would give you my two cents on it if you would not mind.

Please Please consider changing your residence provided no financial constraints exist. if the traffic noise is too much in addition to your neighbour's shrills, you should not forget that you may develop some hearing problems like Tinnitus and NIHL ( Noise Induced Hearing loss)

And if you are not used to such sounds then it may also trigger frustration,restlessness and disturbed sleep cycle.

Using white noise devices would not be advisable/ might not be even effective if traffic sound is too much.. You are trying to block traffic noise which can be in b/w 70-90 dB by using 30dB earplug.

Please keep us updated
    Mood bohot kharab hai kya kare
    Prelims -2 Mains-2 Interview - 0
    ·
  • Change your room asap! :hushed:
    Shillong | Geography | Guitar | Thunderbird350 Went back to the owner :-(
    ·
  • Just Call @psychopath . He would take care of your problems >:)
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·

• This is a great problem in India esp urban India. Had changed rooms many times in Delhi to get rid of the problem but only to limited success as most of places are noisy in Delhi.

Do change the room
    look thoroughly in and around the place u chose to live
    no religious places, market, road, family with kids, parking spaces, jhuggi jhopari should be present in ur neighbourhood
    prefer upper floors to overcome this

·
  • edited February 25
    Thanks @sameerkulkarni, @Wakaao, @dragonborn and @shrude_indian

The problem is I can't change this room now due to some reasons.

Can you please suggest some other solutions ?
    ·

• Bro I doubt any option other than changing the room would work.

At max U can request to the neighbours about the TV sound and the noise of their children but u can do little to the commotion on the road. The cacophony u r experiencing will not let u read, sleep or concentrate. It will cause tension, frustration, depression and many many other troubles.

Whatever be the problem I think changing the room should be ur top priority bro bcz this is the most basic problem u r facing. Rest choice is yours.
    ·
  • if changing the room is not the solution then try this..
    koi v ek gana download karo(us language m jo ki apnko samajh m na aata ho) volume badho aur earphones laga kr sunte raho..volume itna hi ki jisse aur koi awaz jo ki disturb kre ap tak na pahuche..try kr k dekho padhne ka agr kaam kre to badhiya na kre to try Kuch aur
    Limited period offer-U can laugh at me till the 1st half of 2018
    ·
  • changing room would be most appropriate solution

but i would suggest to buy a pair of ISOLATE by flare audio , they have quite good reviews

will cost around 2500 -3000 though ( as they are US based)

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/isolate-aluminium

try any other earmuffs ( intended for shooting ranges or construction purposes )
    ·
  • By earmuffs or noise cancellation headphones.Simple ear plugs might do the trick.Beware: some cause headaches.So you need to balance them.

One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • messimik said:

Hey Friends !

Dude I would give you my two cents on it if you would not mind.

Please Please consider changing your residence provided no financial constraints exist. if the traffic noise is too much in addition to your neighbour's shrills, you should not forget that you may develop some hearing problems like Tinnitus and NIHL ( Noise Induced Hearing loss)

And if you are not used to such sounds then it may also trigger frustration,restlessness and disturbed sleep cycle.

Using white noise devices would not be advisable/ might not be even effective if traffic sound is too much.. You are trying to block traffic noise which can be in b/w 70-90 dB by using 30dB earplug.

Please keep us updated
    +1
    The account has served its purpose of saving a few good souls.
    ·
  • Change your room asap. Wasting time trying futile solutions is going to result in nothing. I myself have firsthand experience of such disturbance and its highly annoying, makes you irritable & restless. Such an agitated state of mind is not feasible at all for studying

You can take a cheap room and try joining a library for studying. Just come to sleep in your room.
    ·
  • Instead of white noise, how about trying rain sounds. There are plenty on YouTube. Download them and replay them continuously. Buy a good pair of earphones. I suggest Panasonic RP-HJE 125. They have good noise isolation by themselves and you won't have to keep the volume at a high level.
    Try it, I hope this helps. I use this myself, its much better than boring white noise.
    ·
  • edited February 25
    Quite sure a crying child is >100 dB. Angels....surely you have rarely been around kids. :expressionless:

On site we use 3M/honeywell silicone earplugs + earmuffs for the days heavy equipment is in use. 3M should be on amazon. Shooting range earmuffs are definitely top tier and will block out majority of ambient noises.

Can you use heavy curtains, like those double lined ones? Having drapery/rugs/furniture/plants even helps block out noises.

Noise cancellation/isolating earphones are great, but it won't help your hearing long term if you keep playing music/noises regularly. Its simply using one noise to cover up another.
    feet fail me not!
    ·
  • Have faced similar things... Two remedies... Good noise cancelling headphones... Schenizer best.... Secondly while reading start playing some alpha noise from you tube
    ·
  • Why are you paying monthly rent to torture yourself? Change your room asap.

The radio that plays in your neighbourhood from 5am to 11pm is reason enough to take a quick decision. I just hate kids. :neutral:

The traffic noise would only increase eventually.

Get a new room with near peaceful surroundings. Do let us know.
    Shillong | Geography | Guitar | Thunderbird350 Went back to the owner :-(
    ·
  • @messimik I don't know what are the reasons behind your reluctance to change the room. But let me share my own experience:
    I generally have a tendency to resist change, honestly speaking if I get a good room in terms of infrastructure, locality, view etc. I tend to be reluctant to change the room for quite long even if I face similar situation as faced by you. Did that ! tried most of the things as suggested by other people above !
    Result - nothing helps much because later such problems penetrates at the psychological levels, its always there in your sub-conscious mind ! so even if you use noise isolation methods and noise gets reduced to significant levels, you might keep on thinking that you are being forced to adept !! which itself is disturbing, and your inner peace just goes away and can lead to frustration.
    I used to think that I might not get such a cozy room and so that's why I was always reluctant but ultimately had to change it and found one room that is 1000 times better than the previous one, as I am at peace here and can study. It cost me a lot of time to find out one but at the end it was worthy enough.
    Hope it helps :)
    कभी किसी को मुकम्मल जहाँ नहीं मिलता..
    कहीं ज़मीं तो कहीं आसमां नहीं मिलता.....

मैं पागल हूँ, कायर नहीं, गलत को गलत कहता हूँ, लड़ता हूँ, जिंदा भी हूँ...
    हो सके तो तू ! थोडा अपने गिरेबान में भी झाँक के देख कभी, क्या तू भी जिंदा है ?
    ·
  • earmuff + earplugs. this helped me. it almost block all the noise(not completely though but till comfortable level)

http://www.amazon.in/3M-Peltor-X5A-Over-Earmuffs/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1488041846&sr=8-8&keywords=earmuff
    ·
  • blossom said:

earmuff + earplugs. this helped me. it almost block all the noise(not completely though but till comfortable level)

http://www.amazon.in/3M-Peltor-X5A-Over-Earmuffs/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1488041846&sr=8-8&keywords=earmuff

Yup, we use the peltor range during heavy construction days. Good catch.
    feet fail me not!
    ·
  • messimik said:

Thanks @sameerkulkarni, @Wakaao, @dragonborn and @shrude_indian

The problem is I can't change this room now due to some reasons.

Can you please suggest some other solutions ?

well why dont u find a reading library and join it ? the ones that provide AC , table , chair and writing boards to students using the premises... they charge on monthly basis ... around 50-80 rupees per day 12 hours depending upon the location and facilities .. kindly explore ur area or surrounding areas ... the one near my home provides locker facility as well so u can keep ur books there if u want to.. i found this really helpful
    ·
  • Switch on ur celling fan and the table fan at the same time... its summer so no prob... cooler and celling fan combination wil b even better..
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google