ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

last attempt left for IAS. My age is 27.Should I skip this year?

I have one attempt remaining for IAS . I am not confident about optional this year. I've written ifos twice before. Should I skip this year IAS exam and just give IFOS? is that possible? To appear in prelims only for Ifos? And then baswan committee? If it reduces number of attempts next year I'll be screwed.kindly throw some light.

Comments

• Its possible to appear in ifos prelims only...
  • As you have written ifos twice already, means you will definitely do well in preliminary.

Maybe you can save ifos for later ( mind it , it is also an AIS ) and give civils this year.

Work on the optional as per your need. You can afford to give most of your time to optional. 2 months till may and then 4 more after pre.
    There is a saturation level for marks I suppose. Try to get more in gs or essay like all geo guys try to do nowadays!!
  • RAJANAKIN said:

I have one attempt remaining for IAS . I am not confident about optional this year. I've written ifos twice before. Should I skip this year IAS exam and just give IFOS? is that possible? To appear in prelims only for Ifos? And then baswan committee? If it reduces number of attempts next year I'll be screwed.kindly throw some light.

Hi, I'm in a similar spot. What have you decided?
    Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends than that good men should look on and do nothing.
  • Handshake bhai,why were u demanding attempt then ? ;)
  • Bhai....I'm very clear on one thing. I don't want the civil service job. I'm working as a scientist in isro and govt job salary and lifestyle is not good for my personal values. I'm just giving this exam for ego purpose now. (Log kya bolenge) . I don't want to be called a failure at any cost. My long term plan is to settle outside India in the first world. But I've lost too much in this IAS pursuit . now its become an issue of prestige for me. I just want to qualify it once.
  • But I have been grappling with a lot of health issues and emotional setbacks since past two years. So I think its best to make a strategic retreat now than be called a failure by relatives/neighbors forever. This year just to stay in rythm I'll write ifos/state psc and GRE. Then next year give my final shot. Right now I don't have my marklist so I don't know if optional let me down. I've got 120 average in essay for three mains. But gs is below average for me. Philo too has been sub par. I've fallen short of mains cut off by 100 marks each year.
  • Hand shake bhai...I really think we should make a retreat this year like Mohammad ghauri. Unlike being passionate fool like prithviraj chauhan and screwing up.
  • Basically...we have to make an existential choice as Sartre would call it.I'll take two weeks to decide. Let's stay in touch.
  • All those who are 27 and have one attempt left,tonight I wil put up a thread .
    Just go through it and tell me if u are ready !!
  • Skip mat karo dedo.agar select ho gaye toh theek nahi huye toh journey khatam kar dena.kitna bhi dimag laga lo subjective luck to kabhi samajh nahi paoge
  • Han bhai....yeah baat bhi shi hai. This exam requires a good stroke of luck for a whole year. Not many can afford that.
  • RAJANAKIN said:

Han bhai....yeah baat bhi shi hai. This exam requires a good stroke of luck for a whole year. Not many can afford that.

Mann lo tumhare hisab se aache score aarahe the aur upsc ne har question mein tumhe .5 no kam de diya toh gs mein hi 79*.5= 39.5 no kam aa gaye.last year i got 669 and this year again i am out.2900 mein 1450 hi gen cat ke hai baki reserved hai ,gen aur obc mein 42 number ka farak hota hai.kai sare log jo related baar nikalte hai weh apni category ka faida lete hai.
  • Handshake bhai,why were u demanding attempt then ? ;)

Coz I didn't have the confidence of clearing it in one go given how random it is.
    Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends than that good men should look on and do nothing.
  • RAJANAKIN said:

But I have been grappling with a lot of health issues and emotional setbacks since past two years. So I think its best to make a strategic retreat now than be called a failure by relatives/neighbors forever. This year just to stay in rythm I'll write ifos/state psc and GRE. Then next year give my final shot. Right now I don't have my marklist so I don't know if optional let me down. I've got 120 average in essay for three mains. But gs is below average for me. Philo too has been sub par. I've fallen short of mains cut off by 100 marks each year.

I am amazed by how much common stuff their is between us: first world, clearing for ego's sake, not really enthused about IAS, cutoff-100!

Yes, I have given myself till the end of this month to decide. How likely is it that Baswan will swoop upon us and steal our attempt?
  • RAJANAKIN said:

Basically...we have to make an existential choice as Sartre would call it.I'll take two weeks to decide. Let's stay in touch.

Ya sure. All the best!
  • You know their is another reason I have for veering towards the "take a break" school of thought: I have a gut feeling that sociology will be butchered in 2017, just like I had one about history in 2016!
  • I'll too take two weeks to decide. I may fill the form but skip prelims if I'm not feeling confident of philosophy.
  • Crack CIVIL SERVICES INTERVIEW
    Ace the interview and Get your Dream Job...
    Become Civil Servant this year Only
    Prepare for Interviews with best Interview Experts....
    Start Preparation Early...Get an extra edge over other candidates

CLICK HERE
  • Bhai mains to clear ho pehle....
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog