ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Mains 2016 "My papers went well but name not in the list. What went wrong?"

Another attempt, another failure but an unexpected one. After talking to some candidates, I realised that many hopeful candidates who were sure of an Interview call this time around, missed out. They are not able to comprehend what exactly went wrong. This thread is to discuss the possible reasons. Kindly share your experience and thoughts. Future plans.
·

Comments

• Another attempt, another failure but an unexpected one. After talking to some candidates, I realised that many hopeful candidates who were sure of an Interview call this time around, missed out. They are not able to comprehend what exactly went wrong. This thread is to discuss the possible reasons. Kindly share your experience and thoughts. Future plans.

+1.
    Will hav to start again its hit and trial method prev strategy dint work. Will hav to go wid new strategy
    Can anyone suggest a good librry around orn near karol bagh librry
    Clueless
    ·

• For me also this was the most unexpected thing.

Time to restratagise drastically.

I will change my optional. GEOGRAPHY has simply become a liability. Got 267 in 2014 and now with much better paper and preparation I m out.

In top 400 ranks more than 80% succesful candidates have above 250 marks and geography has rare 220+ so already geo junta is out of race.
    Have done deep analysis and decided to quit geography.
    Also I think those expecting success this mains but couldn't do so shall take a break in 2017.

Further suggestions are welcome.
    ·

I will change my optional. GEOGRAPHY has simply become a liability. Got 267 in 2014 and now with much better paper and preparation I m out.

In top 400 ranks more than 80% succesful candidates have above 250 marks and geography has rare 220+ so already geo junta is out of race.
    Also I think those expecting success this mains but couldn't do so shall take a break in 2017.

Almost all optionals have similar story. Which one are you planning to shift to?
    ·

Almost all optionals have similar story. Which one are you planning to shift to?

Bro
    See the detailed marksheet from DoPT.

Not optional have same situation.

Most of junta in geo in 2015 got around total 180 marks but Tina had 170+ marks in just one optional paper and total around 300 marks. In such situation can geo, pub ad junta even think of competing ???????

·

Bro

Most of junta in geo in 2015 got around total 180 marks but Tina had 170+ marks in just one optional paper and total around 300 marks. In such situation can geo, pub ad junta even think of competing ???????
    are tina got 170+ in the paper in which rank-9 got 99 rank 54 99.
    now if u r tina then even with 100 marks in that paper u will get ias .
    so choose wisely :)
    ·

Bro

So which according to you are the safe Optionals. I too changed from Pub Ad last time but could not clear with Sociology. This time many Sociology guys are complaining that the optional was ripped apart. But there are candidates who cleared. Same goes with Geography and Pub Ad. Just go through their threads. Problem is that the marksheet will be out this June. By then our choices for this year's attempt would have been made already. Really tough decision.
    ·

Bro

Can you share the link of the DoPT marksheet?
    ·

Bro

Check this. Geography has performed the best this year. Though not my optional. Just to answer your point. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdkSBrYsM_IY6p8IbRYs2HT0zQU1JjFDQVZCD6Jw1yq3-kz9w/viewanalytics
    ·

Bro

http://persmin.gov.in/ais1/Docs/2015_Main_MarkSheet.pdf
    http://persmin.gov.in/ais1/Docs/2014_Main_MarkSheet.pdf
    http://persmin.gov.in/ais1/Docs/2013_Main_MarkSheet.pdf
    http://persmin.gov.in/ais1/Docs/2012_Main_MarkSheet.pdf
    ·
  • I think more focus should be given on essay n GS....ppl even after getting 220 in optional have got under 100.... reliability on optional i think may be devastating as no body knows which optional going to perform well
    ·
  • Uttam27 said:

For me also this was the most unexpected thing.

Bro

http://persmin.gov.in/ais1/Docs/2015_Main_MarkSheet.pdf
    http://persmin.gov.in/ais1/Docs/2014_Main_MarkSheet.pdf
    http://persmin.gov.in/ais1/Docs/2013_Main_MarkSheet.pdf
    http://persmin.gov.in/ais1/Docs/2012_Main_MarkSheet.pdf
    Thanks
    ·
  • Mine optional - pub ad.
    Dont know what went wrong.
    Was expecting a call for sure..
    Just cant figure out what went wrong!
    Only marksheet can bring out the weaknesses.
    But, still i dont think UPSC goes with the mentality of butchering subjects. Just simply doesnt convince me. And people say that pubad is being butchered. Why would they? Infact it's important ( maybe when optionals are removed, this subject may be added)
    Simply changing optional to anthro, psychology would be a nightmare (unless u have enough time and can spare one attempt)
    But simply i believe its more of a luck game.
    And if we are to improve our scores .. lets say from 220s (pubad, psir, geo, etc) to 250s(anthro,etc) ; whynot improve upon GS and essay. That would be more fruitful .
    ·

Bro

So which according to you are the safe Optionals. I too changed from Pub Ad last time but could not clear with Sociology. This time many Sociology guys are complaining that the optional was ripped apart. But there are candidates who cleared. Same goes with Geography and Pub Ad. Just go through their threads. Problem is that the marksheet will be out this June. By then our choices for this year's attempt would have been made already. Really tough decision.

Bro
    In 2015 there were 4500+ junta with geo optional in mains and only 32 made it to the list. Isn't it ruthless butchering???????
    Even if u clear mains bro u will be generally out from the merit list with geo, pub ad.

Just google CANDIDATE INFORMATION CENTRAL civil services. It is a huge data bank n u will get all the desired data to make an informed choice.
    ·
  • Another attempt, another failure but an unexpected one. After talking to some candidates, I realised that many hopeful candidates who were sure of an Interview call this time around, missed out. They are not able to comprehend what exactly went wrong. This thread is to discuss the possible reasons. Kindly share your experience and thoughts. Future plans.

Bro, I'm also one of the persons like you who is unable to come out of the shock. But I have slowly started to realise that the generic nature of the paper allowed everyone to think that he has done well. What is a very good answer to you and me can look ordinary to a third person. It may not even look ordinary. As I told in one of my previous posts in the other Mains 2016 results thread, even a 0.5 marks reduction per question can actually results in a cumulative loss of 60 to 70 marks. And essay is a bomb. Even 5 marks reduction per essay can increase the overall loss to 70-80 marks which can be a difference between IAS and "mains failure". It's fully fraught with uncertainties. At least in prelims, the uncertainty ends at the question paper level.

At least this is how I have convinced myself to move on. Let's see what life holds.
    ·

Bro

Check this. Geography has performed the best this year. Though not my optional. Just to answer your point. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdkSBrYsM_IY6p8IbRYs2HT0zQU1JjFDQVZCD6Jw1yq3-kz9w/viewanalytics

Wait till the final merit list bro.
    Just apply some thought.
    Although many junta clear mains with geo but they dnt hv enough marks advantage to make it to the final list. Even those who qualify r mainly due to interview marks.
    Sobu decide what is ur goal, to qualify mains or to b in the final list. Choice is yours bro.

Bro I dnt want much deliberation on this matter as I hv already done it very rigorously. Would request u to first go through the dopt data bro.

·
  • timepas said:

For me also this was the most unexpected thing.

Bro

are tina got 170+ in the paper in which rank-9 got 99 rank 54 99.
    now if u r tina then even with 100 marks in that paper u will get ias .
    so choose wisely :)
    @timepas you are a defender of Pol science .. :D
    ·

Bro

Wait till the final merit list bro.
    Just apply some thought.
    Although many junta clear mains with geo but they dnt hv enough marks advantage to make it to the final list. Even those who qualify r mainly due to interview marks.
    Sobu decide what is ur goal, to qualify mains or to b in the final list. Choice is yours bro.

Bro I dnt want much deliberation on this matter as I hv already done it very rigorously. Would request u to first go through the dopt data bro.

completely agree with u . geo has been butchered badly. in 2015 , in top 100 there were only 2 geo candidates, ideally it should have been atleast 25, keeping in mind that 30% of candidates take mains as geo optionl.
    i am done with geo. its better to move on.
    ·
  • An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·

This is what I have trying to tell Timepass.
    Apply the 80/20 rule for Christ's sake.
    80% of successful candidates already have an advantage in their optionals.
    We HAVE to treat the remaining 20% as exceptions.

# Being in the final list is what counts
    # Same goes for a few other humanity streams
    # What Timepass says is 100% true but he has to realize that his GS and Essay is rather exceptional. Not everyone has the same level of mastery in GS.
    # Time is a gud person, no arguments here. His intentions are right. Even Hemu was right.
    The account has served its purpose of saving a few good souls.
    ·
  • Mine optional - pub ad.
    Dont know what went wrong.
    Was expecting a call for sure..
    Just cant figure out what went wrong!
    Only marksheet can bring out the weaknesses.
    But, still i dont think UPSC goes with the mentality of butchering subjects. Just simply doesnt convince me. And people say that pubad is being butchered. Why would they? Infact it's important ( maybe when optionals are removed, this subject may be added)
    Simply changing optional to anthro, psychology would be a nightmare (unless u have enough time and can spare one attempt)
    But simply i believe its more of a luck game.
    And if we are to improve our scores .. lets say from 220s (pubad, psir, geo, etc) to 250s(anthro,etc) ; whynot improve upon GS and essay. That would be more fruitful .

Depends on the number of attempts. 1st attempters generally cannot figure out their weaknesses. Everything happens in a rushed sort of state.
    But by the 3rd attempt people generally get an overall idea about how they performed.
    Some things can only be learned through experience.
    UPSC does butcher subjects. You have to just experience it. Maybe to maintain a good diversity of selections year upin year, i dunno.
    Optionals that have more candidates like Geo will have a tougher competition than say Maithili.
    Just apply your brains.
    The exam is relative.
    So optionals can have different performances depending upon how the top 2-3% performed.
    Just take your time off and think about what might have happened. The report card will clarify everything anyways.

# Still a specualtion
    # Luck matters.
    The account has served its purpose of saving a few good souls.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google