"I really don't think there is anything that is better structured and more interactive in regard to Mains than the ForumIAS Mains Guidance Program." - Mitali Sethi (IAS-2016, AIR-56)
MGP Schedule C - Admissions Open Now!
Click here to read more
*Limited Seats. First Come, First Serve basis only.
Mains 2017 : The Only Course you will need to Score 400+ in GS
Mains Foundation 2017 by Ravi R Chokkalingam – to cover GS Paper 2, Paper 3, Paper 1 (Social Issues), Ethics & Essay – with 4 Full Length Mock Tests.
Classes (Online | Offline) commence from 27th June for Mains Foundation, Mains Current Affairs, GS Paper III, Ethics & Essay

Call : 9555923039 for early bird discounts

Third mains failure with philosophy. should I change optional this time?

In my successive three mains attempts philosophy has returned sub par results especially paper 2. I haven't taken coaching for anything. Should I change my optional? This will be my last serious attempt. My marks in gs haven't been too great either. So does this mean I'm lacking in effort in general?Anyone experienced with this dilemma kindly share your thoughts. Also suggest any alternative which you think could work better.
·

Comments

• I'm on the same boat...
    You have to answer it yourself...Just try exploring another optional which u would have shortlisted and get into the depth of how to prepare it...When u do that u will get the answer from within as to what your heart thinks about changing optional..

Since you have not taken any formal coaching your prep area could be lacking esp p2 which is low on marks...But since rank is dependent on three areas : optional, GS and essay, if u screw in any area you could end up you dream...
    Since for u two areas are fetching low marks...It must be your lack of prep too...Gondor new approach, talk to people...Infuse fresh ideas in your study...Don't discard approach of newbies coz it's their enthusiasm that carries them through, where as we veteran stick to simple tried and tested method which we feel are good enough...

As for my own optional I would go for a change, if at all I appear ever, reason is simply that I just cannot same stuff again, ever!! That's the level of my saturation :/
    goodbye forumIAS
    ·
  • I would suggest take 4-5 days off, keep away from books, internet, etc.
    Keep yourself calm. Complete serenity.
    Think....think......think....
    Deliberate....deliberate......deliberate

#Will definitely help you
    #Probably you"ll find your answer
    #Such decisions can be taken by you and you only
    #Best of luck
    Life is a crazy ride and nothing is guaranteed. Keeping expectations low and just trying to not disappoint people who look up to me.
    youtu.be/0sFvFVkeGVg
    ·
  • If you are going for 2017 , then there is not much options left.

History is very vast and time consuming. The other option is Geo. But you know how it is.
    "There should be no boundaries to human endeavor. We are all different. However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there's life, there is hope" - Stephen Hawking
    ·
  • bhai this year was bad for philo/history/socio.So, better to stick to philo for this attempt. One of my friends has been clearing mains inspite of getting 200-220 in last 2 attempts in optional. We are just putting too much emphasis on optional marks. Better approach would be to improve our essay and GS. 500+ in essay+gs should be targetted and some people are doing it year after year.
    Also, if you are hell bent on changing optional, go for short ones like anthro or literature subjects like sanskrit, maithili etc.
    ·
  • bhai this year was bad for philo/history/socio.So, better to stick to philo for this attempt. One of my friends has been clearing mains inspite of getting 200-220 in last 2 attempts in optional. We are just putting too much emphasis on optional marks. Better approach would be to improve our essay and GS. 500+ in essay+gs should be targetted and some people are doing it year after year.
    Also, if you are hell bent on changing optional, go for short ones like anthro or literature subjects like sanskrit, maithili etc.

+1000
    ·
  • Yeah I think I should stick to philosophy.I'll skip prelims in June if I suspect my preparation to be sub par.
    ·
  • How do we improve gs marks without coaching? Does vision test series actually help?
    ·
  • @RAJANAKIN
    This is for GS...go to vision website...see the toppers' answer scripts..compare it with your own writing style...maybe you'll know the difference.
    Secondly, take help from some other serious candidate who in your opinion has good writing skills or has scored good in GS..ask for their perspective and get some of your answers reviewed from them..
    These 2 things might help.
    ·
  • RAJANAKIN said:

Yeah I think I should stick to philosophy.I'll skip prelims in June if I suspect my preparation to be sub par.

bhai even i am feeling like skipping this attempt as i will realign my answer writing and prepare notes from ignou ma booklets. But many good students are skipping this attempt already. Many interview guys will skip as well due to early prelims. so its a good opportunity to appear as well.
    ·
  • Bhai don't fall into that trap...each year fresher's produce potent threat. No one gains a lot from being experienced in this weird exam.
    ·
  • RAJANAKIN said:

Bhai don't fall into that trap...each year fresher's produce potent threat. No one gains a lot from being experienced in this weird exam.

kind of confused, i dont want extend my misery for another year..even that doesnt ensure success....
    ·
  • Whi bhai. I want to give GRE and go abroad to live the good life once this exam stops suckinfg my blood.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google