Changing optional from geography to geology

I am considering changing my optional from geography to geology , having written 4 mains without success..I have basic understanding regarding geology( cleared ifs mains twice with geology as one of the optionals)..and have read books of Anis Kumar Ray and Ravindra Kumar apart from Bangar and Mahapatra...It would be of great help if people who cleared mains with geology can give some insights..

Comments

• Thinking the same I have written two times with geography optional but failed .but with geology cleared twice in Ifos (2015 n 2016) the advantages I see are lesser competition n comparatively shorter and EXACTING(unlike vaguely worded syllabus for geography) syllabus for geology.The disadvantage is books n material as you have to search and study.for 2016 attempt I bought books here and there on amazon ;made a good use of Wikipedia to complete the syllabus.Still I don't know which topic is more important or how Upsc expect the answers written
  • sociology
  • bharat-rt said:

Thinking the same I have written two times with geography optional but failed .but with geology cleared twice in Ifos (2015 n 2016) the advantages I see are lesser competition n comparatively shorter and EXACTING(unlike vaguely worded syllabus for geography) syllabus for geology.The disadvantage is books n material as you have to search and study.for 2016 attempt I bought books here and there on amazon ;made a good use of Wikipedia to complete the syllabus.Still I don't know which topic is more important or how Upsc expect the answers written

do you know anyone who cleared mains this time or before with geology?
  • go for anthro buddy!!
    syllabus is limited and questions are direct!!!!
  • go for anthro buddy!!
    syllabus is limited and questions are direct!!!!

but with geology he can appear for ifos as well...why to prepare a completely new subject..
  • @rembrandt Sadly I don't know anyone with geology optional .
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog