ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

Law optional- success and failure in mains 2016..please post

who all appeared with law optional in mains 2016 and passed or failed.please post..
If 50 percent of your career is not filled with failure, you're not really successful.

Comments

If 50 percent of your career is not filled with failure, you're not really successful.
  • Law 2015-interview,Law 2016-out
  • edited February 22
    Appearing in 2017 with law.
    @ZombieDog what went wrong this year? Most have faced disappointment. Share your experience please..

Hope you wouldn't mind telling your 2015 score in law..
  • edited February 22
    2015 - interview. 2016 - out
  • yaar kyun kiya upsc ne aisa..:(
  • my paper went fairly well compared to last year.was hoping for interview call.could not clear ..
  • 1st mains, out. i was pretty happy with my paper 1 attempt. paper 2 is where i felt i could have done better.
  • Law ...Out....Could not properly remember case laws....But wrote well the analysis part....But no use. ..As we say law is an ass...
  • Last yr my ppr didn't go well cz nt fully prepared...got 207 when had left 60-70marks...dis yr had left 30marks ...rest all had answered satisfactorily
  • Law for sure has been butchered....Many in my coaching institute who are already selected or who had always gone to interview..Did not make it this time
  • me out too. paper 1 went really well. didn't do well in paper 2 though and was still hopeful. 2017, here we come.
  • out. last year scored 240 in law.
  • Guys, let's wait for the marksheet and see for ourselves. Creating fear at this time wont do good to any of us. Even i'm out this time with law(first attempt) but let's concentrate on our next attempt. Let us all try to improve. And i'm sure some people must have cleared. Unnecessarily being pessimistic and feeling wronged will lead us to downward spiral and let's not do that.
    Thanks!
  • see, people are not resorting to fear mongering. it's just the post result frustration/dejection/despair that is finding an outlet. most of the aspirants above would go for law optional despite so called "butchering". personally, i learnt that one can't leave even a single bullet point provided in syllabus, more so for paper 2. stuff like PCA caught me a bit off guard. furthermore, they had been ignoring contract act core areas in previous few attempts but came down heavily on those.
  • Exactly what i felt in paper 2! Yes, i understand. This year's paper was a little unconventional and each and every topic had to be covered to get good marks. And as far as result is concerned, even i felt a little dejected. But branding a particular optional as " butchered " doesn't sound very motivating to me as well as to other aspirants who might be appearing for the first time in 2017 and others who couldn't get in.
  • yes, it doesn't sound motivating but i guess it's fine. one man's "butchering" is another man's lesson learnt. i hope people do post their takeaways from this mains. one thing i wanted to ask was utility/availability of test series for optional. apart from ambition, i couldn't find anything. nirvana, too, doesn't offer test series to outsiders.
  • Exactly what i felt in paper 2! Yes, i understand. This year's paper was a little unconventional and each and every topic had to be covered to get good marks. And as far as result is concerned, even i felt a little dejected. But branding a particular optional as " butchered " doesn't sound very motivating to me as well as to other aspirants who might be appearing for the first time in 2017 and others who couldn't get in.

paper 2 this time was easier than last time...infact most of my friends found paper this time easier..its just that upsc did not want many law students to clear..thats it..
  • rogerthat said:

Exactly what i felt in paper 2! Yes, i understand. This year's paper was a little unconventional and each and every topic had to be covered to get good marks. And as far as result is concerned, even i felt a little dejected. But branding a particular optional as " butchered " doesn't sound very motivating to me as well as to other aspirants who might be appearing for the first time in 2017 and others who couldn't get in.

paper 2 this time was easier than last time...infact most of my friends found paper this time easier..its just that upsc did not want many law students to clear..thats it..
    ye baat 1 attempt me nahi samajh aati hai .
  • timepas said:

rogerthat said:

Exactly what i felt in paper 2! Yes, i understand. This year's paper was a little unconventional and each and every topic had to be covered to get good marks. And as far as result is concerned, even i felt a little dejected. But branding a particular optional as " butchered " doesn't sound very motivating to me as well as to other aspirants who might be appearing for the first time in 2017 and others who couldn't get in.

ye baat 1 attempt me nahi samajh aati hai .
    sahi mein..keh rahe ki daraao mat..jo hyua hai iss baar wahi to likha hai..saala sab baahar kar diye iss baar..
  • This year's result for law is really shocker...but what can we do? focus for next year's exam. Group for law optional is hardly active on forum.. so can you people actively guide freshers...I too will keep my law as optional as I have done LL.B..
  • Yes, i don't think there are any good test series available. I'm also not sure what went wrong for me. Content was insufficient in paper 2. But i should have decent marks in paper 1 which will tell me about my writing style too as the content was good. Only marks will tell.
  • rogerthat said:

So u mean they deliberately gave low marks even if someone has written nice answers? How do they do that?
  • @timepas batao bhai in sajjan ko..
  • finding a paper easy and difficult to some extent is a subjective exercise. having said that, as i said in one of the other threads, there was nothing that was not doable. it is merely the breadth of paper 2 that bogs us down. but that is no excuse, to be very honest.

but i did find it surprising that people who performed so well last year couldn't even clear mains this time. this happened across the board and that led me to believe that it is "butchered". but agree with wanderer@23 that all this talk of butchering etc is actually a fruitless pursuit. but theek hai yaar, ek do din baad sab shaant ho jayenge.
  • @rogerthat @timepas Don't get me wrong. I'm not able to understand how do they ensure that people with a particular optional do not get through.! Please elaborate.
  • edited February 22

@rogerthat @timepas Don't get me wrong. I'm not able to understand how do they ensure that people with a particular optional do not get through.! Please elaborate.

they give very low marks in optional sometimes.
    i got 73 in pol sci 2 in 2015 got 125 in same paper in 2014. and don't think i m non-serious candidate (scored cut-off +80 and 50 in those yrs).

my 1 frd couldn't clear mains this time with law for whom i was 100% sure.
    and yes i rarely appreciate answers that @rogerthat can confirm so if i m saying ki answer was of very good quality then it was .

rest i can't argue its upto u to believe :)
  • timepas said:

@rogerthat @timepas Don't get me wrong. I'm not able to understand how do they ensure that people with a particular optional do not get through.! Please elaborate.

they give very low marks in optional sometimes.
    i got 73 in pol sci 2 in 2015 got 125 in same paper in 2014. and don't think i m non-serious candidate (scored cut-off +80 and 50 in those yrs).

my 1 frd couldn't clear mains this time with law for whom i was 100% sure.
    and yes i rarely appreciate answers that @rogerthat can confirm so if i m saying ki answer was of very good quality then it was .

rest i can't argue its upto u to believe :)
    jaane do yaar..ab jo hua so hua...tum nikaalo bhai pt iss baar...mukti paao iss daldal se...
  • Anyone from national law school---nlsu bang,NALSER....pls reply...
    was our 5 yrs course helpful......
    r nt that helpful.....
    i wish to shift from law to psir(my interest subject )
    pls reply
  • @timepas ohk..Thanks for sharing. Don't worry yaar. Iss baar poori mehnat Karenge. All the best to you!
  • @Wanderer@23 @Time Pass @rogerthat Anyone from national law school---nlsu bang,NALSER....pls reply...
    was our 5 yrs course helpful......
    r nt that helpful.....
    i wish to shift from law to psir(my interest subject )
    pls reply
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog