43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Prelims 2016 candidates: How did you revise before exam?

To everyone who cleared Pre 2016 : what method of revision did you use before the exam?

whats the best way to revise ?

did you revise by only giving tests ?studying NCERT's repeatedly ? Basic books again and again?Did you make short notes ?

Is there any specific way that will help a first timer ?

This question stems from a feeling : If you have read a lot, how to consolidate effectively?
One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
How you do anything is how you do everything.
·

Comments

• *bump*
    ·
  • The thread where people shared how they made it in 2016 prelims, I guess they (many) shared their revision strategy too. dekho dekho.
    ·
  • The thread where people shared how they made it in 2016 prelims, I guess they (many) shared their revision strategy too. dekho dekho.

Thanks.
    ·
  • edited February 17

The thread where people shared how they made it in 2016 prelims, I guess they (many) shared their revision strategy too. dekho dekho.

Thanks.
    Bhai aap ek thread thi mistakes that I ccommitted in this exam.
    Usme ek se ek dil khol kar tips diye the logon na
    Have a look there too

Kuch general opinions -
    1. Nayi cheez tabhi padiye last 1-2 hafte when you are pretty sure ki aa sakti hai, else omit. Last me lagta hai ki bahot choot gayi par sabko aisi same feeling aati hai, kyunki kisi ka syllabus poora nahi hota hai. To is urge ko fight kariyega, cool rahiyega aur deliberate kijiyega koi nayi cheez padne se pehle.
    2. Extreme short notes are very helpful for revision. Avoid thick books. Trust yourself. Nahi bhi pata rahega, to in the exam you will figure out at least 5-6 extra questions on spot. Mind me pehle ki padi hui baten reh jaati hai, isliye trust your grey matter.
    3. Ek strategy bana lijiyega - accuracy with low number of attempts ya calculation/elimination with more attempts. I prefer the former, kyunki mujhse deduction nahi ho pata hai. So be clear with your attempting strategy. Also try scoring at least 20 marks above the previous year's cut offs in the actual exam. Doesn't mean ki tukka marne lagiye, but your target should be at least 140 in Paper 1. At least 140. Tab actual me 120-130 ke aaspass ayenge.

Take care.
    History zindabad :mrgreen:
    Over and out.
    :mrgreen:
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ·
  • Basic books revision, read all ncerts again, vision current affairs. Repeat.
    For exam - attempt max. Agar padhai kari hai to u'll be able to apply brain to options.
    (Scored 126 by shankar key) (attempted 90 around)
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
    ·
  • Let me tell you the finest way of revision for prelims.Solve 30 question papers(5 vision,10 forumias and 15 insights) in last 15 days,which u had solved earlier too.Now wherevrr you get stuck,then open the book/material and read that topic thoroughly nd also read the adjoining topics.Then restart solving nd follow the pattern

Why this method? Because it helps you keep revision process fresh and saves you from mental trauma of having to revise truckload of books/material.You will study high percentage material in the last days and it would be highly beneficial nd stick through.Believe me.

Last but not least,re revise vision pt material too

PS - Scored 140 using this strategy in first attempt.If that helps.hehe.
    ·
  • federer said:

Let me tell you the finest way of revision for prelims.Solve 30 question papers(5 vision,10 forumias and 15 insights) in last 15 days,which u had solved earlier too.Now wherevrr you get stuck,then open the book/material and read that topic thoroughly nd also read the adjoining topics.Then restart solving nd follow the pattern

Why this method? Because it helps you keep revision process fresh and saves you from mental trauma of having to revise truckload of books/material.You will study high percentage material in the last days and it would be highly beneficial nd stick through.Believe me.

Yes, that is a very important point I missed. Solving papers is extremely important. I regretted not doing that for prelims. Very good for preparation and revision. I personally did just 2-3 vision test papers which helped a lot.
    Lack of test paper practice reflects on ur score.
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
    ·
  • Queen said:

federer said:

Let me tell you the finest way of revision for prelims.Solve 30 question papers(5 vision,10 forumias and 15 insights) in last 15 days,which u had solved earlier too.Now wherevrr you get stuck,then open the book/material and read that topic thoroughly nd also read the adjoining topics.Then restart solving nd follow the pattern

Yes, that is a very important point I missed. Solving papers is extremely important. I regretted not doing that for prelims. Very good for preparation and revision. I personally did just 2-3 vision test papers which helped a lot.
    Lack of test paper practice reflects on ur score.
    Thanks you both
    ·
  • Wat i have been doing from last 2 prelims is doing atleast 3 revisions before prelims. Start 3 months prior to prelims . Give 1.5 month for first revision then 1 month for second revision and 15 days for final revision.
    I have made notes of only geog and history. Rest all from books. Current from vision ias only . But this time i m also reading insights. Read economic survey and if possible vishals india year book.
    ·
  • And less than 85 attempt to kisi bhi haalat me na karna bhai.Risk pays.
    ·
  • @GentleGiant6 Did you find that mistakes thread? Can you provide the link please.
    ·
  • federer said:

Is it advisable to solve test papers in early stages of revision or after the revision ? Last time I have revised the syllabus for 3 times prior to the exam but failed to do test practice. As some of the toppers from last year suggested to do more test practice than revision. What is most important thing test practice or Revisions ?
    ·
  • federer said:

And less than 85 attempt to kisi bhi haalat me na karna bhai.Risk pays.

Yes, <85 is deadly,

attempted 89 in 2015- cleared pre.
    Attempted 82 in 2016 - failed pre ( maybe by a whisker)

Main thing i could find as done wrong was leaving those 11 questions i was 50% sure of.
    ·
  • So if the basics are strong and the standard books have been done, apart from multiple revisions the one thing that is absolutely essential is test series?
    Also pls guide as to advisability of doing the year book.
    Thanks
    ·
  • Thank you @Kira , @Queen , @akkib89 , @federer .

·
  • history-spectrum
    polity - Laxmikant
    economics- Mrunal
    geography- 11th & 12th Ncert
    environmental- imp & relevant topics of Shankar

CURRENT AFFAIRs- Vision PT 365

ye sab achche se karlo !!!! Prelim will be a cakewalk for u !!!
    Defeated but not Dusted !!!!
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google