MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

largest fresh water lake in India

which is the largest fresh water lake in India.

As per Wikipedia it is Wular lake and as per indian express it is Loktak lake.

http://indianexpress.com/article/education/indias-first-floating-elementary-school-inaugurated-on-manipurs-loktak-lake-4522383/

Can any one tell me which one is correct?

Comments

• It has always been Wular Lake. Loktak is the largest in Eastern India.

But just have checked the surface area of both and found out that Loktak is few sq. km. larger than Wular.

Unless officiallly stated, stick with Wular.
  • thanx @Wakaao

but can you tell me why Loktak has not been given the status of largest fresh water lake despite its larger area?
  • I've no further idea. Someone please explain. :#
  • Wakaao said:

It has always been Wular Lake. Loktak is the largest in Eastern India.

But just have checked the surface area of both and found out that Loktak is few sq. km. larger than Wular.

Well going by surface area(given on Wikipedia), Vembanad Lake > Kolleru Lake > Loktak Lake > Wular Lake
    :|
    The two most important days in your life are: the day you are born and the day you realise why
  • Maybe due to greater depth Wular lake has more volume of water, despite being smaller in surface area.
    Hence Wular lake is the largest lake of India.

I may not be true but I can't think of any other explanation.
    Slow and steady ain't enough. You gotta be Fast & Furious.
  • lakes surface area is not a measure of its largeness,but its water content is the measure.
    1 prelims,2 mains - CSM and IFS
    Psychology .
  • lolz said:

Wakaao said:

Well going by surface area(given on Wikipedia), Vembanad Lake > Kolleru Lake > Loktak Lake > Wular Lake
    Vembanad is partially brackish. Kolleru's surface area is less than Loktak and Wular. We are talking about fresh water lakes. :#
  • Wakaao said:

lolz said:

Wakaao said:

Vembanad is partially brackish. Kolleru's surface area is less than Loktak and Wular. We are talking about fresh water lakes. :#
    Sorry, my mistake... :'(
    Just saw a link... You are right
    The two most important days in your life are: the day you are born and the day you realise why
  • Baikal world's largest.
    Wular India's largest.
    Kolleru second largest.

• Largest Lake (by volume) & Largest Lake (by surface area) are different. So don't be confused by surface area....
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog