ForumIAS Prelims 2018 Open Test:Result Declared
A score of 80+ would be a good score whereas 70+ is a decent score.To Check Result Click here
There are some changes in Solution and Answer Key. Click here

ForumIAS Open Test - Doubts and Queries - Score & Rank Sharing - Official Thread

Comments

• The test was great - in terms of the quality of questions, the ordering of the options, the usual tricks of correct/incorrect and the analysis-based/factual ratio. It was a perfect mix of static and dynamic, and is highly on the lines of the actual UPSC prelims.
    Score 131.28
    Correct 71
    Incorrect 16
  • Will u provide download option for questions paper of this test?

• Ecosystem provides various services. Which of the following is/are not provisioning services?

1. Nutrient recycling

2. Medicinal resources

Select the correct answer using the codes given below.

Koi Iss question ko explain kar sakta hai please
  • anjus said:

Demux said:

Where in the Constitution is the provision of a composite floor test?

It is not mentioned in the constitution, this is one of the many questions in which the answers are wrongly marked by the team. But a few mistakes are acceptable. I got at least 4 questions wrong, which i am 100% sure that i am correct, but no point in cribbing. The test was really balanced and well made apart from a few questions :)
    @Demux

That composite floor test is correct. Answer is also correct. Just read it two times.

If you are not getting it. Read it one more time.
    Don't have to read it. Composite floor test has been innovated by the SC and is nowhere mentioned in the Constitution explicitly as far as I know. I stick to my stand that the answer is wrong and should be only 2 and 3.

http://www.dtnext.in/News/TamilNadu/2017/02/16025856/1027465/Floor-test-or-composite-floor-test-is-the-question.vpf?TId=112141
    Question has been asked about INCORRECT. 1st statement is incorrect and 3rd is correct. so answer should be 1&2.

dear.. how many times has compost test happened in the past? I think one time only.. second time was happening in TN, but didt happen, right?

the first one happened in UP

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/feb/26up.htm

so all are incorrect, isn't it?
  • 50. Tejas -> both options are correct. Tejas express is to be launched by railways in a short time. Tejas is also a light combat fighter developed by HAL.

Bhai.. both are not correct.. tejas is light combat aircraft which india did not recently induct finally after 30 years..

in the option it is given Supersonic Fighter Jets developed by Hindustan Aeronautic Limited.. it is not supersonic jet at all.

• Select the incorrect statements from the below:

1. Child Labour in India has been abolished by the Constitution of India since its commencement.
    2. The Bonded Labour System (Abolition) Act, 1976 makes it the responsibility of the State government to identify, release and rehabilitate bonded labour.
    3. The Nobel Prize for Social Work was awarded to Kailash Satyarthi for his work towards ending Child Labour.

Select the correct answer from the codes given below

Issmey 3rd option kyu galat hai
  • 50. Tejas -> both options are correct. Tejas express is to be launched by railways in a short time. Tejas is also a light combat fighter developed by HAL.

Bhai.. both are not correct.. tejas is light combat aircraft which india did not recently induct finally after 30 years..

in the option it is given Supersonic Fighter Jets developed by Hindustan Aeronautic Limited.. it is not supersonic jet at all.

The Tejas is the second "supersonic fighter" developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) after the HAL HF-24 Marut.
  • Which of the following factors cannot be attributed to ruining of Indian handicraft industries in pre-independence India?

1. The construction of railways helped increase the reach of India's handicraft.

2. Introduction of free trade by the British led to increase in Indian export but at low prices.

3. The educated urban Indian middle class became the new patrons of Indian handicrafts.

Select the correct answer using the codes given below:

issmey 1st option meih kya galti hai
  • It was a pretty decent paper @ForumIAS ...! Beats many test series..!

Content is good as always..! But, one thing I would like to say,

I liked the last year test series online platform more. With analytics and the swifty nature, It was so attractive and user-friendly..! Hving said that, I know you must have a reason to switch to the new platform..!

Anyhow, Score : 127.28. (Zero on Current affairs :/ )
    Prelims : 2/2. Mains : 0/2. 24 years. "Thats how you devour a whale ; One bite at a time"
  • Geo-thermal energy is cost effective reliable sustainable and environment friendly. Which among the following is/are incorrect about geothermal energy?

1. It originates from radioactive decay of materials.

2. It is limited to areas near tectonic plate boundaries.

Koi pplease bol doh ki forumias neih iss question meih khud galti ki hai. How option 1 is correct, it is suerly incorrect

The Tejas is the second "supersonic fighter" developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) after the HAL HF-24 Marut.
    +1

Thanks for correcting.. was banking on old reading

:p
  • Geo-thermal energy is cost effective reliable sustainable and environment friendly. Which among the following is/are incorrect about geothermal energy?

1. It originates from radioactive decay of materials.

2. It is limited to areas near tectonic plate boundaries.

Koi pplease bol doh ki forumias neih iss question meih khud galti ki hai. How option 1 is correct, it is suerly incorrect

One of the reasons for the internal heat of the earth is the radioactive decay of certain elements/material. Hence option 1 is correct since that is the origin of the heat.
  • Kek said:

It was a pretty decent paper @ForumIAS ...! Beats many test series..!

Content is good as always..! But, one thing I would like to say,

I liked the last year test series online platform more. With analytics and the swifty nature, It was so attractive and user-friendly..! Hving said that, I know you must have a reason to switch to the new platform..!

Anyhow, Score : 127.28. (Zero on Current affairs :/ )

that is a very good score Bhai.. without current affairs..

• Select the incorrect statements from the below:

1. Child Labour in India has been abolished by the Constitution of India since its commencement.
    2. The Bonded Labour System (Abolition) Act, 1976 makes it the responsibility of the State government to identify, release and rehabilitate bonded labour.
    3. The Nobel Prize for Social Work was awarded to Kailash Satyarthi for his work towards ending Child Labour.

Select the correct answer from the codes given below

Issmey 3rd option kyu galat hai

He got the Nobel for PEACE and not SOCIAL WORK.
  • can some body explain this:
    How sea surface temperature increases salinity?

And please mention the source too
  • sine said:

can some body explain this:

1. Temp rise > Evaporation of fresh water from Ocean > Salinity increases.

More so, In tropic latitudes, you can see high salinity distribution across the Ocean.

Counter pt >>

Ofcourse, there are myriad other factors influencing salinity besides temperature.

2. Temp rise > Expansion of water > Salinity decreases. However, the influence of this factor is lower than the statement 1.

So, >> Temp rise >> salinity increases (IPCC says global warming wil result in increase in salinity - which would have adverse impact on phytoplanktons > thereby impacting fisheries sector)
    Prelims : 2/2. Mains : 0/2. 24 years. "Thats how you devour a whale ; One bite at a time"
  • Many great performers on this thread so I might as well ask: how to handle random organization questions? Do you attempt by elimination or skip? Or you've learnt a list by wiki-ing a lot of organizations
  • Kek said:

sine said:

More so, In tropic latitudes, you can see high salinity distribution across the Ocean.

Counter pt >>

Ofcourse, there are myriad other factors influencing salinity besides temperature.

2. Temp rise > Expansion of water > Salinity decreases. However, the influence of this factor is lower than the statement 1.

So, >> Temp rise >> salinity increases (IPCC says global warming wil result in increase in salinity - which would have adverse impact on phytoplanktons > thereby impacting fisheries sector)
    IPCC report mentions that global warming increases evaporation. I dont think Evaporation can be directly linked with sea surface temperature. Evaporation increase because of the rise in atmospheric air which has capacity to hold more water. When they blow over the ocean, they they pick up more moisture.

SST rise can even rise by a small degree and still lead to stratification, drastic effect on biodiversity; But this does not mean, the evaporation will increase for the small rise in SST. What in case of humid climate, the evaporation will not increase despite rise in SST.

• @ForumIAS .....
    how do u determine that Presidential form of govt. is more stable than parliamentary? Just becoz it was written in some book and u copied it from there. There has been several research paper showing evidence that Parliamentary is more stable than Presidential.
    In other question: Fundamental Rights are not "fundamental" becoz constitution assures its citizen but becoz it is fundamental for the development of the individual. Such arbitrary options will only shake the basics.

Plzz ... dont give such give such options/questions which are debatable or arbitrary
  • edited February 17
    sine said:

@ForumIAS .....
    how do u determine that Presidential form of govt. is more stable than parliamentary? Just becoz it was written in some book and u copied it from there. There has been several research paper showing evidence that Parliamentary is more stable than Presidential.
    In other question: Fundamental Rights are not "fundamental" becoz constitution assures its citizen but becoz it is fundamental for the development of the individual. Such arbitrary options will only shake the basics.

Plzz ... dont give such give such options/questions which are debatable or arbitrary

+1
    Start Unknown. Finish Unforgettable.
  • Presidential system is less accountable then parliamentary. There is a trade off between accountability and stability. I think the solution is wrong.
  • sine said:

Kek said:

sine said:

Counter pt >>

IPCC report mentions that global warming increases evaporation. I dont think Evaporation can be directly linked with sea surface temperature. Evaporation increase because of the rise in atmospheric air which has capacity to hold more water. When they blow over the ocean, they they pick up more moisture.

SST rise can even rise by a small degree and still lead to stratification, drastic effect on biodiversity; But this does not mean, the evaporation will increase for the small rise in SST. What in case of humid climate, the evaporation will not increase despite rise in SST.

Majority of the global warming is observed by oceans thereby oceans get heated up...causing evaporation consequent high salinity.
  • win_2017 said:

sine said:

Kek said:

sine said:

Counter pt >>

Majority of the global warming is observed by oceans thereby oceans get heated up...causing evaporation consequent high salinity.
    ...... because water gets heated up does not mean the evaporation will increase. For evaporation to increase the air must be dry above the ocean surface else there can be no more evaporation if the air is humid Global warming leads to drying up of air and thus more evaporation.

Quote me one source, any report, any research which directly mentions SST will increase salinity. U may get global warming(Evaporation) increases temp. but never SST.
  • @ForumIAS
    Will detailed answer key, explaining the solutions, be given? Or is this the final key?
    Anthropology. Hyderabad
  • edited February 17
    Consider the following climatic conditions:

1. Temperature between 15 - 20 C

2. Rainfall between 25 to 75 cm.

Which among the following crops is most suitable to be grown in the above mentioned climatic conditions?

Options:
    a Rice
    b Wheat
    c Maize
    d Millet

Answer should be c MAIZE.
    I checked with FAO, question asks for GROWING time, wheat is grown when temperatures are hot as it is a kharif crop, and harvested when temperatures start to cool.
    FAO says ideal GROWING condition for Maize is Temp 15-20C and low-moderate rainfall.

Please check @ForumIAS
  • sine said:

win_2017 said:

sine said:

Kek said:

sine said:

Counter pt >>

...... because water gets heated up does not mean the evaporation will increase. For evaporation to increase the air must be dry above the ocean surface else there can be no more evaporation if the air is humid Global warming leads to drying up of air and thus more evaporation.

Quote me one source, any report, any research which directly mentions SST will increase salinity. U may get global warming(Evaporation) increases temp. but never SST.
    Plz tell how air becomes dry.
  • Consider the following statements about Mughal Paintings.

1. The painting experienced large scale growth under Akbar.

2. Jahangir Nama is the pictorial illustrations of the Mughal Painting.

Which of the statements given above is/are correct?

Selected Option:
    b
    2 only

Correct Option:
    c
    Both 1 and 2

i think under jahangir painting experience growth. anybody help me on that i m a newbee
  • Consider the following statements about Mughal Paintings.

1. The painting experienced large scale growth under Akbar.

2. Jahangir Nama is the pictorial illustrations of the Mughal Painting.

Which of the statements given above is/are correct?

Selected Option:
    b
    2 only

Correct Option:
    c
    Both 1 and 2

i think under jahangir painting experience growth. anybody help me on that i m a newbee

+1
    Jahangir- painting
    Akbar- architecture
  • sine said:

@ForumIAS .....

I dont know about research papers but one fundamental text which i think one can refer to is constitutent assembly debate.The opening lines of the debate talks about the stability of parliamentary form of govt.I quote it for you

"Firstly, let me deal with the form of Government. Dr. Ambedkar's view is that the British parliamentary executive is preferable to the American non-parliamentary executive on the ground that the former is more responsible though less stable, while the latter is more stable but less responsible."

Life will be good.Eventually
  • sine said:

win_2017 said:

sine said:

Kek said:

sine said:

Counter pt >>

solubility has a simple concept. as the temperature increases solubility increases and increases solubility leads to increase in salinity.
    A simple example- when u prepare CHASNI(sugar water solution at home ), for dissolving more sugar , we increase temperature.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog