ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Why is it that some people clear CSE in their first attempt while some can't even in their fifth?

This question has always intrigued and troubled me.

Is there something that toppers do differently?
Is there something something topper don't tell us?
Is it just pure dumb luck?
·

Comments

• People preparing exclusively for this exam for 2-3 years certainly understand the nature of this exam, and they must have greater amount of information/knowledge and understanding of things asked in papers that should get them through, right?
    ·
  • talent+hard work+proper guidance+luck=successin cse
    ·
  • First answer this.

How did ISRO manage to send Mangalyaan to Mars successfully in first attempt while it took NASA, ESA, JAXA etc. multiple attempts to manage the same.

Is ISRO indeed better than all other space agencies ? Why is then ISRO struggling to design a launch vehicle of 4 tonne capacity while NASA recently tested 70 tonne capacity launch vehicle ?

Is there something that ISRO did differently?

Is there something something ISRO didn't tell us?

·
  • edited February 15
    People who clear in their 1st attempt fall into one of the following 3 criteriae (in decreasing order of their proportion)
    1. Those who had civil services in their mind long before they graduated and have been preparing for years until their first attempt
    2. Those who received exceptional guidance by generally an already qualified household member, relative or friend
    3. Extraordinarily 'aware' people who had solid basics right from the start; they can be called lucky to some extent because everything worked their way throughout the selection process.
    @pd94
    The account has served its purpose of saving a few good souls.
    ·
  • First answer this.

How did ISRO manage to send Mangalyaan to Mars successfully in first attempt while it took NASA, ESA, JAXA etc. multiple attempts to manage the same.

Is ISRO indeed better than all other space agencies ? Why is then ISRO struggling to design a launch vehicle of 4 tonne capacity while NASA recently tested 70 tonne capacity launch vehicle ?

Dusron ki galtiyon se seekha..
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·
  • sajal89 said:

talent+hard work+proper guidance+luck=successin cse

Very simple n to the point
    ·
  • edited February 15

First answer this.

Then what happened to learning from others while making launch vehicle. Then GSLV Mk-3 should lift off some 60-70 tonnes. Shouldn't it ?? Easily ??
    ·
  • Tudor said:

People who clear in their 1st attempt fall into one of the following 3 criteriae (in decreasing order of their proportion)
    1. Those who had civil services in their mind long before they graduated and have been preparing for years until their first attempt
    2. Those who received exceptional guidance by generally an already qualified household member, relative or friend
    3. Extraordinarily 'aware' people who had solid basics right from the start; they can be called lucky to some extent because everything worked their way throughout the selection process.
    @pd94

Agreed
    ·
  • First answer this.

Then what happened to learning from others while making launch vehicle. Then GSLV Mk-3 should lift off some 60-70 tonnes. Shouldn't it ?? Easily ??
    It's an iterative model, akin to walking. You fall, puff your chest up and stand, fall again till you get it right! Cest la vie!
    ·
  • edited February 15
    ^^
    Now you are coming around to my point. Half-way there.

If I would have free time now I wud have shown that pure dumb-luck plays a major role. With empirical examples of course.
    ·
  • ^^

If I would have free time now I wud have shown that it's pure dumb-luck. With empirical examples of course.

Not pure dumb luck
    People do prepare, don't they?
    The account has served its purpose of saving a few good souls.
    ·
  • Tudor said:

^^

If I would have free time now I wud have shown that it's pure dumb-luck. With empirical examples of course.

Not pure dumb luck
    People do prepare, don't they?
    They do but luck here is

Luck(upsc)= f( optional, handwriting, mood of your examiner, interview board)

In short, when the paper is subjective and you have a basket of optionals to choose from, there is some element of luck which you cannot eliminate.
    ·
  • edited February 15
    pd94 said:

People preparing exclusively for this exam for 2-3 years certainly understand the nature of this exam, and they must have greater amount of information/knowledge and understanding of things asked in papers that should get them through, right?

I can second this with first hand info.
    My friend prepared solely for almost 3 years and appeared in cse 15 and got the name in list rank in mid 300
    ·
  • The short answer is luck, but since you're talking of clearing CSE and not the IAS, the luck factor is a little less important.

Not clearing it in five attempts, and I speak from a position of intimate awareness, is possibly due to:

1. Not putting in the effort, basically laziness
    2. Loss of enthusiasm after a couple chances
    3. Plain bad luck, butchering
    4. Interview issues
    5. Work, marriage, rest of life taking over

Anyway, doesn't matter, keep pounding, the wall will give.
    Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends than that good men should look on and do nothing.
    ·
  • Tudor said:

@pd94

This is single most important point which plays major role in selection of someone in his first attempt. If we see toppers who got selected in first attempt, they are having mentor guiding them at each and every step. While for others it's like trial and error type of preparation. For ordinary aspirants first attempt is mostly about getting experience of examination.
    ·
  • Jagran said:

pd94 said:

People preparing exclusively for this exam for 2-3 years certainly understand the nature of this exam, and they must have greater amount of information/knowledge and understanding of things asked in papers that should get them through, right?

I can second this with first hand info.
    My friend prepared solely for almost 3 years and appeared in cse 15 and got the name in list rank in mid 300
    wow
    God has been generous. Now is my turn to prove he wasn't wrong
    #myquote.

hindi literature optional. PREPARING NOTES FOR HINDI and would like to see notes of others.interested aspirants can contact here or @ daanveerakarna@gmail.com
    ·
  • edited February 15
    pd94 said:

Is there something that toppers do differently?
    Is there something something topper don't tell us?

You don't count /know years invested before first attemp. And first attempters who qualify don't reveal since when they have been preparing.
    Others who take first attempt with almost no preparation, keep appearing, and preparing... It takes time.
    Otherwise upsc syllabus is such that no one can cover from scratch to everything in a single year.

Meaning.... People who take 2,3 years for preparation don't appear till they feel confident. They qualify in one or two attempts.
    Others take up both activities simultaneously preparation eand appearing in exam and they consume more attempts.
    Ofcourse luck plays a role.
    And non serious candidates are third ones but they are present in every field so not to speak of them.
    ·
  • Tudor said:

@pd94

+1
    ·
  • Luck factors more in CSE vis-a-vis other exams.....more u work hard, lesser scope for luck to creep in. Rachit Raj had Guj as first preference in his daf, got only 135 in interview in kilemsungla board. But he had got exceptionally well in mains.
    “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
    ·
  • For those who already start with their attempt it also becomes an issue of choices...If their choice proves correct or not...

There are two dimension which we often see that someone chose an optional and consistently got poor marks but believes he/she could better it...Here one dimension is luck as in pubad , geography, history guys like many others...Second is choice they made for optional in the very place...Choosing an optional should be based on thorough analysis and this is where most people's game is up...

Talking from my own exp , in two optional era I couldn't get good marks in one of the optional but always thought I could do better in next attempt, and in the process other optional suffered...Looking back I think choosing that optional was my very mistake , despite that being my grad subject...

Such mistakes lead to vicious cycle, which is not easy to break..Therefore attempt number keeps on increasing and result stays the same..

So one advice...Choose the optional wisely
    goodbye forumIAS
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google