ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

2017 FIRST ATTEMPT: LATE STARTERS; WEEKLY TARGETS AND DISCUSSIONS FOR COVERING MAX TILL 18TH JUNE

Started in JANUARY . SERIOUS NOW FOR 2017. TIME SHORTAGE DEFINITELY ,THOUGH I have decided to go for it now.

Following the 23 week strategy by an ex -IAS on you tube.NO OTHER OPTION as I am inexperienced.

WILL BE GLAD TO DISCUSS AND PREPARE WITH PEOPLE LIKE ME.

Comments

• @root and moderatos .Please make it an announcement till 18th june.
  • Quite possible to clear, for people from humanities, though I don't underestimate Engineers capacity, frankly they are dangerous.

• kummies said:

Quite possible to clear, for people from humanities, though I don't underestimate Engineers capacity, frankly they are dangerous.

But its a general perception that u start one year before that too full time......so it wud b tough if one goes for it with 4 months in hand .. No ??
  • edited February 12
    Banjara_ said:

kummies said:

Quite possible to clear, for people from humanities, though I don't underestimate Engineers capacity, frankly they are dangerous.

But its a general perception that u start one year before that too full time......so it wud b tough if one goes for it with 4 months in hand .. No ??
    It depends on your level of preparation.

For an average person, personally i believe, 4 months should be enough to cover very basic books, like laxmi, ramesh, goh Cheng, bipin (or bandopadhyay), n some selected ncerts like class 11 n 12 for geo n economics (old).

Cram 10 to 12 months CA, any single good magazine, like vision. Don't forget to read one news paper daily. Don't mess with multiple sources.

Cram Shankar IAS environment, n visions s&t booklets. Or any alternatives that you like.

Solve few test papers, identify your week areas, if time permits revise some of your sources to suit your needs, it all depends on your efforts.

If in case you won't clear this exam in 2017, at least you will be better prepared for next time.
    At best you will b writing mains in coming december.
  • Mains not in December, earlier this time
  • Started in JANUARY . SERIOUS NOW FOR 2017. TIME SHORTAGE DEFINITELY ,THOUGH I have decided to go for it now.

Following the 23 week strategy by an ex -IAS on you tube.NO OTHER OPTION as I am inexperienced.

WILL BE GLAD TO DISCUSS AND PREPARE WITH PEOPLE LIKE ME.

PAPA ne kr hi lia force bhai aapko

• kummies said:

Banjara_ said:

kummies said:

It depends on your level of preparation.

For an average person, personally i believe, 4 months should be enough to cover very basic books, like laxmi, ramesh, goh Cheng, bipin (or bandopadhyay), n some selected ncerts like class 11 n 12 for geo n economics (old).

Cram 10 to 12 months CA, any single good magazine, like vision. Don't forget to read one news paper daily. Don't mess with multiple sources.

Cram Shankar IAS environment, n visions s&t booklets. Or any alternatives that you like.

Solve few test papers, identify your week areas, if time permits revise some of your sources to suit your needs, it all depends on your efforts.

If in case you won't clear this exam in 2017, at least you will be better prepared for next time.
    At best you will b writing mains in coming december.
    yeah.....i do agree.......thnx... :smile:
  • Depends on what is your background? Working or full time preparation? How much do you already know? Are you good at optional already (recent graduate) or will you do that also from scratch?

I personally think NCERTs are overhyped. They do help to understand the basics but so do Laxmikanth and Ramesh Singh. So it's okay if you skip them as time is less.

You need to finish a few books before end of March

1. Laxmikanth - Polity
    2. Ramesh Singh - Indian Economy (selected chapters)
    3. Modern History - Bipan Chandra (old ncert)
    4. Geography you can do from ncerts

In addition to this:
    1. Follow visions monthy current affairs ( gulp them down)
    2. Read Hindu daily and make notes - max 3-4 sentences per article. Don't dvelve into making elaborate notes at this time
    3. Practice answer writing every weekend as on weekdays tou will be studying
    4. Start practicing mock and previous prelims papers from april 1 onwards. Atleast one a day

Most important advise :
    1. REVISE what you study regularly
    2. Stick to SYLLABUS
    3. PREVIOUS PAPERS give you the best intuition to filter news while reading, keep them handy and look at them every now and then
  • simple if you want to clear prelims in one shot

Modern history- spectrum
    Ancient history- Ncert or DN jha ( 150 page small book enough to clear)
    Polity- PD special issues
    Economy- Eco survey, mrunal
    Enviornment- Nptel, NCERT
    Science- NCERT or lucent science
    Geography- NCERT

Jaan Tere Naam

• Depends on what is your background? Working or full time preparation? How much do you already know? Are you good at optional already (recent graduate) or will you do that also from scratch?

I personally think NCERTs are overhyped. They do help to understand the basics but so do Laxmikanth and Ramesh Singh. So it's okay if you skip them as time is less.

You need to finish a few books before end of March

1. Laxmikanth - Polity
    2. Ramesh Singh - Indian Economy (selected chapters)
    3. Modern History - Bipan Chandra (old ncert)
    4. Geography you can do from ncerts

In addition to this:
    1. Follow visions monthy current affairs ( gulp them down)
    2. Read Hindu daily and make notes - max 3-4 sentences per article. Don't dvelve into making elaborate notes at this time
    3. Practice answer writing every weekend as on weekdays tou will be studying
    4. Start practicing mock and previous prelims papers from april 1 onwards. Atleast one a day

Most important advise :
    1. REVISE what you study regularly
    2. Stick to SYLLABUS
    3. PREVIOUS PAPERS give you the best intuition to filter news while reading, keep them handy and look at them every now and then

thank you senior
  • simple if you want to clear prelims in one shot

Modern history- spectrum
    Ancient history- Ncert or DN jha ( 150 page small book enough to clear)
    Polity- PD special issues
    Economy- Eco survey, mrunal
    Enviornment- Nptel, NCERT
    Science- NCERT or lucent science
    Geography- NCERT

thank you senior
  • edited February 12
    @Euros Holmes Thanks!Working candidate here. Which chapters from Ramesh Singh?
    Search twice, ask once.

Aata savera jab tu jhele ye kaali raatein.

• @Euros Holmes Thanks!Working candidate here. Which chapters from Ramesh Singh?

Focus on banking related chapters in ramesh Singh and prepare bank related concepts like repo rate, reverse repo rate, crr, SLR, bank rate, Basel norms, NPA, types of ATM, etc.
  • gt2015 said:

@Euros Holmes Thanks!Working candidate here. Which chapters from Ramesh Singh?

Focus on banking related chapters in ramesh Singh and prepare bank related concepts like repo rate, reverse repo rate, crr, SLR, bank rate, Basel norms, NPA, types of ATM, etc.
    for this no need to refer ramesh singh , mrunal has given it in a good and easy way to remember, purchaseing ramesh singh for only this would not be a good choice save money

Jaan Tere Naam

• hi.. plz any one help me..
    Its mid feb.. & i have to complete 12 months vision ias monthly booklet--from last aug, how should i read it so i can revise atleast 3-4 time till june 18, time is very short. SO, should I make notes out of them?.. but time is very short--when to make notes & when to revise these notes?.
    its not only vision material to complet, I am reading hindu regularly, but with out making notes, + i am preparing the static part also side by side.
    looking forward to help.
    thanks.
  • Hello,

If you create another thread typing everything IN BLOCK LETTERS, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE SUSPENDED.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog