How to clear CSE Mains roadblock after consequent failure in mains exam?

I have seen many bright aspirants who are able to create CSE prelims for multiple times, but they simply couldn't clear Mains Exam even after serious and well studied efforts. Many of my friends and I also fell short of 30-40 marks to qualify interview even in second and third attempt. So, though prelim appears to be quite comfortable, mains simply become herculean task.

Guys please suggest, is it possible to create margin of 30-40 above mains cutoff incase of repeated main failure? If yes, please cite some examples and how to tackle such situation..

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Dude this is bugging me too,its my 4th Mains, consecutively without passing any before. Really in need of answer to this question

Btw i think, it is necessary to be clear about basics e.g judicial review asked this year and be able to write that in concise words. This can only be possible by solving more and more mocks and analysing the answers ourselves. Plus we need to focus more on examples , administration related. But I guess writing practice is the key and hood over basics. Still i too am in search of an answer . Let's hope to clear Mains this year. All the best
  • Pick a question from cse 2016 and write answer to it ..ask people to review it.
  • Joker01 said:

Dude this is bugging me too,its my 4th Mains, consecutively without passing any before. Really in need of answer to this question

Btw i think, it is necessary to be clear about basics e.g judicial review asked this year and be able to write that in concise words. This can only be possible by solving more and more mocks and analysing the answers ourselves. Plus we need to focus more on examples , administration related. But I guess writing practice is the key and hood over basics. Still i too am in search of an answer . Let's hope to clear Mains this year. All the best

I just dont understand some students able to clear mains consecutively for many times, But once one get failed in mains, this roadblock is just difficult to surpass. Is there anything fundamentally wrong?

• I have been in such situation...but now i have given two interviews. I will share my experience which seriously helped me break that jinx.

Its very simple. Funamentally we are wrong, focus only on studying. Stop studying books or notes, you enough knowledge. If you dont trust yourself, trust me..you have read enough, just keep up with current affairs.

Now, question is what needs to done??? Start WRITING PRACTICE today!!!! We lack there. Just pick insight (as i did) or iasbaba and start daily answer writing...least 1 answer. Dont think anything like i don't have enough knowledge or "pahle syllabus khatam ho jaye" etc. These are bull shit excuses which will never let u clear mains. Just writing practice, TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!.
    Then after prelims, start a mains test series preferably visioias or any test (12 tests)...and on top of it...start offline tests of websites according to your time management.

Just do it for 15 days and you will feel and see difference in your answers.
    Good luck!!
  • Plus, forgot to mention...it takes real pain to write, you will feel like crying going to write 3 hours test where u feel u dont know anything. But trust me, its worth it if it takes you to interview.
    Ps: i got interview calls after doing what I mentioned above.
  • venom94 said:

Plus, forgot to mention...it takes real pain to write, you will feel like crying going to write 3 hours test where u feel u dont know anything. But trust me, its worth it if it takes you to interview.

Thank you sir.Needed this badly. Kal se main likhunga :| .
  • venom94 said:

Plus, forgot to mention...it takes real pain to write, you will feel like crying going to write 3 hours test where u feel u dont know anything. But trust me, its worth it if it takes you to interview.

mene toh ek bhi test nhi likha.. :'( ..
  • hemu said:

venom94 said:

There are 3-4 exceptions in the Final list,so dont worry.
  • hemu said:

venom94 said:

kaun ho bhai tum.. bahot mazze le rhe ho.. :'( . mains hi nikal jaaye bas. ek faith aa jaega.. din ba din spirit low ho rhi h
  • hemu said:

hemu said:

venom94 said:

kaun ho bhai tum.. bahot mazze le rhe ho.. :'( . mains hi nikal jaaye bas. ek faith aa jaega.. din ba din spirit low ho rhi h
    Main to dhaandhas bandha raha tha...Apologies if you felt otherwise.
    Baaki 0 test waale minimun 3-4 to hote hain...trust me :|
  • edited February 10

hemu said:

hemu said:

venom94 said:

Mene bhi seedha mains m hi answer likha.....mujhe apki exceptions waali baat pr pura viswas h... :mrgreen:
  • hemu said:

hemu said:

venom94 said:

Mene bhi seedha mains m hi answer likha.....mujhe apki exceptions waali baat pr pura viswas h... :mrgreen:
    Yabhi to chachaji ka dimagg........dash dash dasham.....chalta hai :p
  • hemu said:

hemu said:

venom94 said:

Yabhi to chachaji ka dimagg........dash dash dasham.....chalta hai :p
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • @hemu bhai apna bhi lack of writing ....bhagwan Jane k hovega
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
  • @hemu bhai apna bhi lack of writing ....bhagwan Jane k hovega

haa yaar.. bada locha h.. tum toh fir bhi 3-4 test likhe the..
  • hemu said:

@hemu bhai apna bhi lack of writing ....bhagwan Jane k hovega

haa yaar.. bada locha h.. tum toh fir bhi 3-4 test likhe the..
    Physical locha hai...apna hath hi nahi chalta...haha...n mains me to chemical locha bhi ho gaya..dimag bhi band
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
  • @hemu ...Madam Ira Singhal ne koi test series join nahin ki thee....you never knw your odds... kabhi kabhi sachin test main umarbhar 250 ke score ko taras jaata hai or kabhi kabhi krun nair kamal kar jaata hai pehli series main hi..o:)
  • @hemu ...Madam Ira Singhal ne koi test series join nahin ki thee....you never knw your odds... kabhi kabhi sachin test main umarbhar 250 ke score ko taras jaata hai or kabhi kabhi krun nair kamal kar jaata hai pehli series main hi..o:)

hehe.. great motivating words.. sirji.. :)
  • A simple survey to crowd-source info about our attempts at Mains. Analysis about the toughness, cutoff and confidence. Will share the result after atleast 50 responses. Please take 2 min and full out the 6 questions bhailog!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdnWSvClBBCY91AMt8JTW04g_OB1KHRBFe7j2JonuEBWl7y3w/viewform
  • venom94 said:

I Too believe,I have written just 12 test or optional and 15 for Gs(All in classroo,Honestly in 3 hours time),Dont about selection yet,But it gives u confidence to tackle any type of question in Examination,Even u Know hw to extract 2-3 marks in question u hv lil knowledge,which too can make impact in final result
    P.S I am on wrong thread,this is my first attempt,first mains.
    Now It Ends...

I believe ,one should know thyself,What might work for me,might not for yu.
    Now It Ends...
  • venom94 said:

I have been in such situation...but now i have given two interviews. I will share my experience which seriously helped me break that jinx.

Its very simple. Funamentally we are wrong, focus only on studying. Stop studying books or notes, you enough knowledge. If you dont trust yourself, trust me..you have read enough, just keep up with current affairs.

Now, question is what needs to done??? Start WRITING PRACTICE today!!!! We lack there. Just pick insight (as i did) or iasbaba and start daily answer writing...least 1 answer. Dont think anything like i don't have enough knowledge or "pahle syllabus khatam ho jaye" etc. These are bull shit excuses which will never let u clear mains. Just writing practice, TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!.
    Then after prelims, start a mains test series preferably visioias or any test (12 tests)...and on top of it...start offline tests of websites according to your time management.

Just do it for 15 days and you will feel and see difference in your answers.
    Good luck!!

Very helpful,thanks :)
  • hemu said:

venom94 said:

Bhai, this was my general opinion. Some people dont need to write much. My friend( last year 245 rank) got twice 385 types marks in gs without writing a single answer. So dont worry :)
  • Bhaiyon kucch essay ka karo yaar... :/
  • venom94 said:

hemu said:

venom94 said:

Bhai, this was my general opinion. Some people dont need to write much. My friend( last year 245 rank) got twice 385 types marks in gs without writing a single answer. So dont worry :)
    thanks bro. :)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog