Download part 1 of the Economic Survey 2016-17 Vol. 2 summary by ForumIAS : Click here to DOWNLOAD

Need help - How to integrate the UPSC and SSC preparation together?

Hi there, After failing in previous two attempts at CSE, I have decided to pursue some backup option so as to continue with my UPSC preparation. After lot of thinking I have decided to prepare for the SSC cgl as backup. However both exams require substantial amount of time to prepare but at the same time it's too risky to take break for a while from UPSC preparation and dedicatedly prepare for SSC exam. I want to know if it's possible to prepare for both simultaneously ? And if yes then how? Plz help. I'm now 24 complete.
·

Comments

• its not easy , as the way of cgl is way too diff , and as csat is completely ignored these days , cgl is altogether a diff game
    ·
  • its not easy , as the way of cgl is way too diff , and as csat is completely ignored these days , cgl is altogether a diff game

Thanks for the help
    ·
  • Spare around an hour a day for cgl. Devote it to maths. 30 Mins ingoing through and underatanding a concept and the remaining 30 in practising questions. Accomodate English grammar lessons in 3 out of 7 days
    Basically 4 days - Maths , 3 days - Grammar. While reading the Hindu , notice the usage of certain words. E.g. ' in tandem with' , 'infructuous' , 'exchanged blows' , 'rake up' etc.
    It will help you in Cloze tests ( fill in the balnk ) , Vocab related questions , error detection etc.
    In this way , you should be able to comprehensively finish the syllabus of Maths and Eng by the time you get your admit card for CGL pre. From that day onwards , daily solve atleast one mock test. Special , *very special* focus should be on previous year questions. You should be able to identify and solve previous questions in a jiffy . It will go a long way in helping you succeed in cgl because more than 50% questions are recycled. The reason being that SSC has been conducting exams in this format for many years now. There are already 7000 questions of maths alone that the ssc has already used. So any new question paper is bound to have around half of these questions , sometimes ditto , sometimes with changed values.
    ·
  • Preparing previous year questions is easier said than done
    ·
  • Spare around an hour a day for cgl. Devote it to maths. 30 Mins ingoing through and underatanding a concept and the remaining 30 in practising questions. Accomodate English grammar lessons in 3 out of 7 days
    Basically 4 days - Maths , 3 days - Grammar. While reading the Hindu , notice the usage of certain words. E.g. ' in tandem with' , 'infructuous' , 'exchanged blows' , 'rake up' etc.
    It will help you in Cloze tests ( fill in the balnk ) , Vocab related questions , error detection etc.
    In this way , you should be able to comprehensively finish the syllabus of Maths and Eng by the time you get your admit card for CGL pre. From that day onwards , daily solve atleast one mock test. Special , *very special* focus should be on previous year questions. You should be able to identify and solve previous questions in a jiffy . It will go a long way in helping you succeed in cgl because more than 50% questions are recycled. The reason being that SSC has been conducting exams in this format for many years now. There are already 7000 questions of maths alone that the ssc has already used. So any new question paper is bound to have around half of these questions , sometimes ditto , sometimes with changed values.

Thanks bro. One more query if I give 2 hrs of day for SSC cgl will I be able to cover maths and Reasoning till SSC pre considering English as my strong area as I can get good score in English with minimal preparation. @Rajan_Bhai
    ·
  • For English , mug up all the previous year one-word substitution and idioms and phrases and practise and read grammar.

You don't need to prepare for reasoning . Only practice would ne sufficient. However , of you still anxious , pick up ANY 2-3 previous year papers and solve the reasoning section only.
    If your score is less than 35, then you 'll have to dedicatedly prepare for reasoning also. Otherwise not. Practise sufficient.

Feel free to spend 2 hours preparing for SSC. But I fear it will interfere with UPSC prep .
    ·
  • edited February 3
    Do curse the CSAT protesters .... Earlier a serious CSE aspirants had not to worry for backup exams that much because by preparing for CSAT , one could have simutaneously and easily cleared SSC cgl , bank exam .... Etc without much hassle.

But now you have to devote extra time for these backup exams.
    ·
  • gt2015 said:

Spare around an hour a day for cgl. Devote it to maths. 30 Mins ingoing through and underatanding a concept and the remaining 30 in practising questions. Accomodate English grammar lessons in 3 out of 7 days

Thanks bro. One more query if I give 2 hrs of day for SSC cgl will I be able to cover maths and Reasoning till SSC pre considering English as my strong area as I can get good score in English with minimal preparation. @Rajan_Bhai
    Bhai English being your forte, you'll hardly face any problems.
    Quants ka dhyan rkhna, lots of shortcuts are involved in this section
    Plus each subsequent year aspirants are fetching higher and higher marks, therefore speed should take precedence over the toughness of the problems
    Mere kuch doston ne previous years ke questions padkar exact same to same pattern par hi practice kari thi bas
    And they all qualified
    Easy nai hai par tough bhi nahi hai
    Har stage ke marks will be crucial
    Top Posts (MEA, Secratariat) ke liye fight bahut hi zyada hai B)
    Aap apna time allocation mock performance ke hisaab se callibrate aur recallibrate kar sakte hain, amd do try giving mocks well in advance
    Baki to sab bhagwan ki daya drishti par hai.... :)
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ·
  • akkib89 said:

gt2015 said:

Spare around an hour a day for cgl. Devote it to maths. 30 Mins ingoing through and underatanding a concept and the remaining 30 in practising questions. Accomodate English grammar lessons in 3 out of 7 days

Plus each subsequent year aspirants are fetching higher and higher marks, therefore speed should take precedence over the toughness of the problems
    Mere kuch doston ne previous years ke questions padkar exact same to same pattern par hi practice kari thi bas
    And they all qualified
    Aap apna time allocation mock performance ke hisaab se callibrate aur recallibrate kar sakte hain, amd do try giving mocks well in advance
    PS - Maine ek baar 2015 me dee thi SSC
    Prepare nahi kari thi, Tier 1 qualify ho gaya tha par utne achche number nahi aaye the
    Delshi centre tha aur main home town wapis aa gaya tha, so nahi jaa paya, Mains bhi tha
    Isliye thoda sa hi experience raha hai.
    So take the suggestions with a pinch of salt.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ·
  • akkib89 said:

akkib89 said:

gt2015 said:

And they all qualified
    PS - Maine ek baar 2015 me dee thi SSC
    Prepare nahi kari thi, Tier 1 qualify ho gaya tha par utne achche number nahi aaye the
    Delshi centre tha aur main home town wapis aa gaya tha, so nahi jaa paya, Mains bhi tha
    Isliye thoda sa hi experience raha hai.
    So take the suggestions with a pinch of salt.
    Thanks for the help
    ·
  • If you are proficient in English.Start taking mocks.
    For Maths , do this :
    1. Complete Rajesh Verma's Arithmetic book by Arihant Publications.
    2. 7100+ PYQ's by Kiran Prakashan
    3. 2010-2015 Mains question papers.
    4. Rakesh Yadav Maths notes and printed material.
    5. 20 quality mocks.

One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • If you are proficient in English.Start taking mocks.
    For Maths , do this :
    5. 20 quality mocks.

Thanks for the help. Where would I get these notes ?
    ·
  • gt2015 said:

If you are proficient in English.Start taking mocks.
    For Maths , do this :
    5. 20 quality mocks.

delhi mukharjee nagar i think , call bookshops , jawahar book depot , atul photostat etc

·
  • gt2015 said:

If you are proficient in English.Start taking mocks.
    For Maths , do this :
    5. 20 quality mocks.

Old Rajinder Nagar , New Delhi.Also, on Amazon.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog