43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Will my IAS PREPARATION be helpful for the state civil services exam !!

I have dived into my IAS preparation recently .

My father yesterday asked me to appear for my state services too .He pointed out that I should be within the top 50 in my state services if I want to get my name anywhere in the All India services.

Being a newcomer, I donot know much about neither IAS nor the state services .

Infact, the information which I have regarding the state services (syllabus , exam pattern etc) is negligible compared to my info on the IAS.

Reason for this being the lack of online information on state civil exams.

I am worried if my IAS preparation would help me in the state exams or do I need to have some specefic strategies for the same.

MY father is too strict when it comes to exams and results and I still need to tell him what all I studied at the end of everyday.
This has been a rule I have been following since class 10th.

Seniors ,please help me in carving out a strategy (if needed) for my state exam too.This will help me in preparing for it simultaneously .

I donot want to be a failure at any exam .
I just can't withstand my father's sorrow as I had seen him too sad when my elder brothers didnot do well in their fields.

I know I am and have always been the last hope for him

UP is my state.
·

Comments

• edited February 1

He pointed out that I should be within the top 50 in my state services if I want to get my name anywhere in the All India services.

This is not at all true. Actually it's the opposite of reality.

You may not even be able to clear pre of State PCS exam and still be an IAS. Vice versa you may be a topper in State PCS and still flunk out of CSE Pre.

Actually forget State PSC, I personally know a case where he got IRS and couldn't clear SSC T-2 or any Bank PO exam. And he tried to prepare for Bank PO earnestly !!

Indian administrative ecosystem is screwed up in in this regard. Here, a lot of times a junior post is much better in reasoning, mathematical and language aptitude than a senior post !!

So, remove all such conceptions.
    ·
  • Ye sahi bakar hai..
    Ask your father to show that how many state pcs toppers have even cleared cse.. 8-10 years ago there used to be few such cases. Today, toppers of state pcs hardly clear cse. BTW, state pcs services are very poor when it comes to work culture, perks, career progression etc.
    ·
  • Bhai, dekho baat yeh hai ki jab bandaa 2-3 attempt CSE ke de leta hai and luck uskaa saath nahi de raha hota to woh fir state PCS ka rukh kartaa hai.
    Lekin achchaa yehi hai ki bandaa state PCS ko bhi saath me le ke chale shuru se. Maine aisaa hi kiya tha. And mere father ne hi mujhe ye suggest kiya tha. Ve khud State PCS ke through select hue hain.

State PCS me SDM, DSP, Excise and RTO ke alawaa bhi kai posts ekdam 'rasmalai' hoti hain. Jaise Asst. Industrial Commissioner, City Development Officer etc. And 8-10 saal ki job ke baad ye sabhi promote hoke All India Services me hi aa jaate hain.

And mai to personally UPSC ki punchhalli posts se state me SDM hona jyadaa prefer karungaa, to be honest.

Bas baat yeh hai ki yadi aap State me rank laaoge to Vision aap ko bulaake talk nahi dilwaayegaa. And Hindu me aapki photo nhi chhapegi.
    CSM 2015 | CSE Interview 2016 | Expecting*
    ·
  • Quixote said:

state pcs services are very poor when it comes to work culture, perks, career progression etc.

Aise misconceptions apne dimaag se nikaal dijiye sir... Career progression State me bhi regular hai yadi bandaa nautanki naa kare to.

And jab chutiya IAS ya IPS aata hai to SDM/DSP hi maamlo ko sambhaalta hai... And aajkal to waise log kuchh jyaada hi select hone lage hain.. :D
    ·
  • Quixote said:

state pcs services are very poor when it comes to work culture, perks, career progression etc.

Aise misconceptions apne dimaag se nikaal dijiye sir... Career progression State me bhi regular hai yadi bandaa nautanki naa kare to. :D

Apart from police service, career progression and office infra in most of other services (finance, labour, jail, registration, rural dev, information, education, social security, alpsqnkhyak welfare, child dev etc) is very very poor.. even in police and administrative service one is treated second fiddle to direct ips and ias, even if promoted to their rank.
    Baaki, situation also varies state to state..
    ·
  • Quixote said:

Quixote said:

Aise misconceptions apne dimaag se nikaal dijiye sir... Career progression State me bhi regular hai yadi bandaa nautanki naa kare to. :D

Apart from police service, career progression and office infra in most of other services (finance, labour, jail, registration, rural dev, information, education, social security, alpsqnkhyak welfare, child dev etc) is very very poor.. even in police and administrative service one is treated second fiddle to direct ips and ias, even if promoted to their rank.
    +1

Career progression is indeed very poor in state services....even in administrative service which is topmost post anyone can get through state civil services there also it is acute stagnation....go and check civil list of ias of any state....barring one or hardly two there will not be anyone of pre 1997 batch promoted officer.
    ....that too with anti date seniority of 8-9 years given to them....bottomline is that in best case also; you will not be IAS for more than 10-11 years provided you enter at very young age ,have good acr throughout, you are in good books of higher command blah blah blah...
    Effectively these administrative and police services in long run can be at most compared with SSC MEA or ITI post....where also you will be inducted into IFS (B) and IRS after 20-22 years of your service.
    So
    Give your best at upsc....and if it does not work out then go for alternate options provided you have moral and material support from the family member.
    ·
  • Dear seniors,
    My intention was not a comparison between the 2 services.

I just wanted to have tips on how to carry on the
    state preparation simultaneously
    ·
  • mimansa said:

Quixote said:

Quixote said:

+1

Career progression is indeed very poor in state services....even in administrative service which is topmost post anyone can get through state civil services there also it is acute stagnation....go and check civil list of ias of any state....barring one or hardly two there will not be anyone of pre 1997 batch promoted officer.
    ....that too with anti date seniority of 8-9 years given to them....bottomline is that in best case also; you will not be IAS for more than 10-11 years provided you enter at very young age ,have good acr throughout, you are in good books of higher command blah blah blah...
    Effectively these administrative and police services in long run can be at most compared with SSC MEA or ITI post....where also you will be inducted into IFS (B) and IRS after 20-22 years of your service.
    So
    Give your best at upsc....and if it does not work out then go for alternate options provided you have moral and material support from the family member.
    Bro, I really don't know which state or which post is in the back of ur head when you are writing ur comment. You have painted a quite sorry picture which is quite contrary to my personal experience.

I am from UP and I know case in which he jumped posts from District Supply Officer to SDM to IAS within 15-16 years and got central deputation and is now personal secretary to a cabinet minister !! This is when you work colourfully. Even if you are squeaky clean progression is good.

My father's classmate from M.Sc joined as Ranger in Forest deptt., moved up to ACF, got demoted to entry level Ranger grade coz of some corruption charge, fought case in HC and won, went back to ACF and became DFO in next 4 years. He is Conservator now. God's honest truth, my father keeps quoting his example every now n then.

So, I really can't connect with what you r saying.

State Services are truly good. Lot of public dealing and ground level work which gives satisfaction, if u r inclined that way. And lot of 'mota maal' if u have colourful ethics !!
    ·
  • edited February 1

mimansa said:

Quixote said:

Quixote said:

+1

So
    Bro, I really don't know which state or which post is in the back of ur head when you are writing ur comment. You have painted a quite sorry picture which is quite contrary to my personal experience.

I am from UP and I know case in which he jumped posts from District Supply Officer to SDM to IAS within 15-16 years and got central deputation and is now personal secretary to a cabinet minister !! This is when you work colourfully. Even if you are squeaky clean progression is good.

My father's classmate from M.Sc joined as Ranger in Forest deptt., moved up to ACF, got demoted to entry level Ranger grade coz of some corruption charge, fought case in HC and won, went back to ACF and became DFO in next 4 years. He is Conservator now. God's honest truth, my father keeps quoting his example every now n then.

State Services are truly good. Lot of public dealing and ground level work which gives satisfaction, if u r inclined that way. And lot of 'mota maal' if u have colourful ethics !!
    Yes brother....it is indeed a very sorry state for state civil services officer....see the civil list of promoted officer of UP cadre....latest inclusion as on 1.1.2016 is of officers who are at max retiring in 2028.... although they are given batch year of 2009 due to anti date seniority but effectively they will serve as IAS only for 12 years maximum.

pdf
    pdf
    Civil List of IAS Officers.pdf
    ·
  • edited February 2
    mimansa said:

mimansa said:

Quixote said:

Quixote said:

+1

So

Yes brother....it is indeed a very sorry state for state civil services officer....see the civil list of promoted officer of UP cadre....latest inclusion as on 1.1.2016 is of officers who are at max retiring in 2028.... although they are given batch year of 2009 due to anti date seniority but effectively they will serve as IAS only for 12 years maximum.

Further these officers who are having their 11-12 years of service left are officially placed in level 11 of the pay matrix (you can see it in extreme right column of civil list pdf)..... which a direct recruit group A officer of central government reaches in just 4 years and group B officers of services such as Income Tax, IFS (B) reaches normally in 20 years while CSS officers in 14-15 yeras if they clear departmental exam......career progression is extremely slow for these state officers and I am again reiterating that it can maximum be compared with group B posts recruited through SSC.

·
  • *ante-date seniority
    ·
  • mimansa said:

Quixote said:

Quixote said:

+1

So
    +1
    ·
  • Bhai aapko short me samjha ne ki koshish karta hu taki aapko bhi idea ho jae and aapke pitaji ko bhi aap samjha sako:

1. CSE aur PCS ke result me koi bhi correlation nahi hai. Aap dono ka prep saath me karenge ya nahi yeh alag vishay hai lekin result me koi correlation nahi hai.

2. Dusri baat yeh ki dono hi exam ke liye ek preliminary knowledge base to zaruri hai hi. CSE me aapko NCM aur CDM ke difference puch lega aur PCS me aapko CDM sabse pehle kis gaon me shuru hua tha yeh puch lega. Chahe jo bhi ho answer karne ke liye ek basic foundational knowledge Base to chahiye hi hoga jo aapko recommended Ncert or text se banega. So, once you do this you yourself will get an idea of which areas to stress for cse and which are important for others.

3. Take a look at the question papers to get a hang of things.

4. Doing this would help you in understanding the differences and also giving a constructive report of your daily activities to your father.

In short - paani me kudiye, khud samajh me aa jaega ki kahan bahav kis tarah hai.

There are a few threads on PCS also. Referring to them will help. There was a up PCS topper talk in vision I guess. Not sure if that would help or not but surely it will give some pointers.
    2013-Failed Pre by 7 marks
    2014-Failed Pre by 1 marks
    2015-Failed Mains by 25 marks
    2016-Failed Pre
    2017-Final Battle
    ·
  • Struggle said:

Bhai aapko short me samjha ne ki koshish karta hu taki aapko bhi idea ho jae and aapke pitaji ko bhi aap samjha sako:

1. CSE aur PCS ke result me koi bhi correlation nahi hai. Aap dono ka prep saath me karenge ya nahi yeh alag vishay hai lekin result me koi correlation nahi hai.

2. Dusri baat yeh ki dono hi exam ke liye ek preliminary knowledge base to zaruri hai hi. CSE me aapko NCM aur CDM ke difference puch lega aur PCS me aapko CDM sabse pehle kis gaon me shuru hua tha yeh puch lega. Chahe jo bhi ho answer karne ke liye ek basic foundational knowledge Base to chahiye hi hoga jo aapko recommended Ncert or text se banega. So, once you do this you yourself will get an idea of which areas to stress for cse and which are important for others.

4. Doing this would help you in understanding the differences and also giving a constructive report of your daily activities to your father.

In short - paani me kudiye, khud samajh me aa jaega ki kahan bahav kis tarah hai.

There are a few threads on PCS also. Referring to them will help. There was a up PCS topper talk in vision I guess. Not sure if that would help or not but surely it will give some pointers.

Sau percent shuddh advice.
    +10
    B)
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ·
  • Struggle said:

Bhai aapko short me samjha ne ki koshish karta hu taki aapko bhi idea ho jae and aapke pitaji ko bhi aap samjha sako:

best advise , +100
    ·
  • Struggle said:

thank you sir
    ·
  • mimansa said:

Quixote said:

Quixote said:

+1

So
    Is there any other service that is as powerful as SDM/DSP or other state services after UPSC? I don't think so. And as far as career progression goes it is only in big states that progression is slow. I know of Punjab, HP, Uttarakhand, Haryana where progression is decently fast. In Punjab in Jan 2017 2005 batch PCS and PPS officers were promoted with 5 years IAS seniority. And I don't understand why are you even comparing ITI/SSC jobs to SDM/DSP or other administrative posts in states. MEA and ITI people have no power or influence till they are actually promoted to IFS or similar positions. But these state services have their own powers right from first day. It is foolish to compare MEA Assistant with even a Tehsildar.
    ·
  • mimansa said:

Quixote said:

Quixote said:

+1

So

+1
    ·
  • eagle99 said:

mimansa said:

Quixote said:

Quixote said:

+1

So
    +1
    And even IFS (B) and other promotees are discriminated against in a lot of respects. But in state services even if you are promoted then also you won't be stripped of your chance to be a DM or Secretarial positions depending on duration of your service left.
    ·
  • And I don't understand why are you even comparing ITI/SSC jobs to SDM/DSP or other administrative posts in states. MEA and ITI people have no power or influence till they are actually promoted to IFS or similar positions. But these state services have their own powers right from first day. It is foolish to compare MEA Assistant with even a Tehsildar.

This is absolutely true and matter of fact.

Jabardast rutbaa hotaa hai SDM ka. Jagah-jagah functions me chief-guest bantaa hai. Naukar - chaakar, badhiya gaadi, driver, apartment etc. alag. Even SDM ki wife tak ko jagah-jagah functions me chief guest banaate hain !!

SSC se selected ITI ki wife ko kabhi bante dekha hai chief guest kahin. Ya even kisi IRTS ya IRS ki wife ko bante dekhaa hai chief guest. :D

Bhai, bottom line hai, public dealing ka alag hi majaa hota hai. Jitni jyada power waali public dealing, utnaa badhia rutbaa. Jisse jaisaa achchaa lage wo kare hame to bhai, IAS/IPS/IFS ke baad SDM/DSP ki post bahut achchi lagti hai.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google