REVISION CLASSES FOR PRELIMS 2017 by ForumIAS

ForumIAS will be conducting revision classes for Prelims 2017. The goal is to cover maximum topics in minimum time posible. The first class is scheduled today at 5 PM. Seats fill early so register early. Click Here to know more

Confused What Newspaper to Read amongst the following

The Hindu
The Indian express

And Realised today that another version of the latter called" the new indian exp" also exists.

A new candidate I am and started reading newspapers like text books for the first time.

Hence very much confused.
Though I save atleast Rs 90 per month if I don't buy Hindu.

Also please suggest on how to retain the newspaper facts like that of text books.

Your opinions, particularly from seniors shall be very helpful.
·

Comments

• read any one of the hindu or indian express, and supplement it with either forumias 9 pm brief, or vision monthly booklets, or any other good source. personally i would suggest the hindu, in my opinion it is better, and anything missing in it can be supplemented with the above mentioned sources. to retain facts u need to revise the notes again n again.
    ·
  • The Hindu
    The Indian express

And Realised today that another version of the latter called" the new indian exp" also exists.

A new candidate I am and started reading newspapers like text books for the first time.

Also please suggest on how to retain the newspaper facts like that of text books.

the hindu can be downloaded free from shashidthakurblogspot as an e-paper.
    the indian express can be read free internet.

you can supplement them via livemint or economic times.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
    ·
  • mrlobo said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

+1
    Add your regional newspaper to the reading list.
    Character has to be established through a thousand stumbles...
    ·
  • mrlobo said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

+1
    @Woodpecker regional, but why sir ?
    ·
  • Did you mean state centric or district centric ?
    Sorry if I sound foolish but please reply woodpecker sir.
    ·
  • My opinion...indian express. Gives u all the information u need to write mains...mains becomes an out-n-out 'indian express' game if u are thorough with it. But daily it needs 3-4 hours to finish...for pre, supplement this with other standard books and any one good magazine like chronicle.
    Ye waqt b guzar jayega. Keep patience.
    ·
  • I have read both the hindu as well as indian express..i must say that the quality of editorials in the indian express is much better than the hindu and more or less the remaining news will be same in both newspapers..by reading editorials of writers like pratap bhanu mehta,surjit bhalla, c rajamohan will help you to build an opinion about any isuue which wil be quite helpful in mains answer writing..
    All the best...
    ·
  • mrlobo said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

+1
    @Woodpecker regional, but why sir ?
    No sir please.
    Regional helps with local gs which will help you in interviews(local gs and dev issues wont feel like a burden then), also helps in getting a different/local opinion on current issues and how it effects your state.
    You can use it between two tasks(like covering static and optional),acts as a refreshment too.
    Character has to be established through a thousand stumbles...
    ·
  • Mint+IE is a deadly combo..!
    Prelims : 2/2. Mains : 0/2. 24 years. "Thats how you devour a whale ; One bite at a time"
    ·
  • If your sole aim is UPSC, then The Hindu has no substitute.
    ·
  • The editorials of IE are as good as The Hindu. I have been reading both.
    But, the coverage of news and information relevant to UPSC is much higher in The Hindu.
    I think The Hindu with Insights/Vision monthly CA should suffice.
    IE editorials would be an added advantage from mains point of view.
    And yes, the 'Explained' page of IE is a must-do.
    ·
  • abhi44 said:

And yes, the 'Explained' page of IE is a must-do.

does 'the explained' page of IE comes on some specific day of the week?
    ·
  • Kek said:

Mint+IE is a deadly combo..!

Bro can review live mint from UPSC point of view ?
    ·
  • IE + Mint is more than enough.
    Hindu is BS. :tongue:
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: (?)
    Literature of English Language.
    Dentist, bounty hunter, aspiring diplomat. Opinionated.
    ·
  • If you are fresher read TH first yr..onlyyy.. IE Mint etc are 2nd yr onwards option when you start understanding FEW weaknesses of First one.. my personal opinion.. atleast 1 yr reading of TH is very useful for upsc as well as life :smile:

PS- "After taking coaching it is very much trendy to say Coaching is Bullshit.. but actually it is not so much Bullshit also !!!" ;)
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)
    ·
  • edited January 30

If you are fresher read TH first yr..onlyyy.. IE Mint etc are 2nd yr onwards option when you start understanding FEW weaknesses of First one.. my personal opinion.. atleast 1 yr reading of TH is very useful for upsc as well as life :smile:

PS- "After taking coaching it is very much trendy to say Coaching is Bullshit.. but actually it is not so much Bullshit also !!!" ;)

seriously bhai? :/ :mrgreen:
    I Believe, it provides just a psychological satisfacion :D
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
  • went vaji for 5 months and not even read the notes again ever(except economy). *No Regret*
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
  • The hindu is still single most preferable newspaper
    Even when people criticize it for its left leaning stand , It still holds value in terms of quality content..

Other than this if you do any one magzine like chronicle or insights or iss baba( only one) ...
    That will be more than sufficient
    Assistant Commandant ITBP
    ·
  • I am doing chokhalingum class and civilsdaily.
    ·
  • Read the Hindu ... It's good for national news and polity , social issues etc.
    Read editorials of IE ... IR ,eco etc are better covered there.
    Supplement with any coaching notes for factual information.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google