ForumIAS Prelims 2018 Open Test:Result Declared
A score of 80+ would be a good score whereas 70+ is a decent score.To Check Result Click here
There are some changes in Solution and Answer Key. Click here

Confused What Newspaper to Read amongst the following

The Hindu
The Indian express

And Realised today that another version of the latter called" the new indian exp" also exists.

A new candidate I am and started reading newspapers like text books for the first time.

Hence very much confused.
Though I save atleast Rs 90 per month if I don't buy Hindu.

Also please suggest on how to retain the newspaper facts like that of text books.

Your opinions, particularly from seniors shall be very helpful.

Comments

• read any one of the hindu or indian express, and supplement it with either forumias 9 pm brief, or vision monthly booklets, or any other good source. personally i would suggest the hindu, in my opinion it is better, and anything missing in it can be supplemented with the above mentioned sources. to retain facts u need to revise the notes again n again.
  • The Hindu
    The Indian express

And Realised today that another version of the latter called" the new indian exp" also exists.

A new candidate I am and started reading newspapers like text books for the first time.

Also please suggest on how to retain the newspaper facts like that of text books.

the hindu can be downloaded free from shashidthakurblogspot as an e-paper.
    the indian express can be read free internet.

you can supplement them via livemint or economic times.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • mrlobo said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

+1
    Add your regional newspaper to the reading list.
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • mrlobo said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

+1
    @Woodpecker regional, but why sir ?
  • Did you mean state centric or district centric ?
    Sorry if I sound foolish but please reply woodpecker sir.
  • My opinion...indian express. Gives u all the information u need to write mains...mains becomes an out-n-out 'indian express' game if u are thorough with it. But daily it needs 3-4 hours to finish...for pre, supplement this with other standard books and any one good magazine like chronicle.
    ये वक़्त ना ठहरा है, ये वक़्त ना ठहरेगा |
    यूही गुज़र जाएगा घबराना कैसा |
    हिम्मत से काम लेंगे, घबराना कैसा |
  • I have read both the hindu as well as indian express..i must say that the quality of editorials in the indian express is much better than the hindu and more or less the remaining news will be same in both newspapers..by reading editorials of writers like pratap bhanu mehta,surjit bhalla, c rajamohan will help you to build an opinion about any isuue which wil be quite helpful in mains answer writing..
    All the best...
  • mrlobo said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

+1
    @Woodpecker regional, but why sir ?
    No sir please.
    Regional helps with local gs which will help you in interviews(local gs and dev issues wont feel like a burden then), also helps in getting a different/local opinion on current issues and how it effects your state.
    You can use it between two tasks(like covering static and optional),acts as a refreshment too.
  • Mint+IE is a deadly combo..!
    Prelims : 2/2. Mains : 0/2. 24 years. "Thats how you devour a whale ; One bite at a time"
  • If your sole aim is UPSC, then The Hindu has no substitute.
  • The editorials of IE are as good as The Hindu. I have been reading both.
    But, the coverage of news and information relevant to UPSC is much higher in The Hindu.
    I think The Hindu with Insights/Vision monthly CA should suffice.
    IE editorials would be an added advantage from mains point of view.
    And yes, the 'Explained' page of IE is a must-do.
  • abhi44 said:

And yes, the 'Explained' page of IE is a must-do.

does 'the explained' page of IE comes on some specific day of the week?
  • Kek said:

Mint+IE is a deadly combo..!

Bro can review live mint from UPSC point of view ?
  • IE + Mint is more than enough.
    Hindu is BS. :tongue:
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • If you are fresher read TH first yr..onlyyy.. IE Mint etc are 2nd yr onwards option when you start understanding FEW weaknesses of First one.. my personal opinion.. atleast 1 yr reading of TH is very useful for upsc as well as life :smile:

PS- "After taking coaching it is very much trendy to say Coaching is Bullshit.. but actually it is not so much Bullshit also !!!" ;)
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)
  • edited January 30

If you are fresher read TH first yr..onlyyy.. IE Mint etc are 2nd yr onwards option when you start understanding FEW weaknesses of First one.. my personal opinion.. atleast 1 yr reading of TH is very useful for upsc as well as life :smile:

PS- "After taking coaching it is very much trendy to say Coaching is Bullshit.. but actually it is not so much Bullshit also !!!" ;)

seriously bhai? :/ :mrgreen:
    I Believe, it provides just a psychological satisfacion :D
  • went vaji for 5 months and not even read the notes again ever(except economy). *No Regret*
  • The hindu is still single most preferable newspaper
    Even when people criticize it for its left leaning stand , It still holds value in terms of quality content..

Other than this if you do any one magzine like chronicle or insights or iss baba( only one) ...
    That will be more than sufficient
    Assistant Commandant ITBP
  • I am doing chokhalingum class and civilsdaily.
  • Read the Hindu ... It's good for national news and polity , social issues etc.
    Read editorials of IE ... IR ,eco etc are better covered there.
    Supplement with any coaching notes for factual information.
  • The Hindu
    The Indian express

Bhai you are already spending your precious time for this exam. Equate time with money.
    Saving 90rs will seem like a bad joke later on (lots of opportunity cost to consider here)
    1 newspaper + 1 good monthly compilation of your choice will be manageable
    Notes on issues supplemented by data mining from internet can be done (but very judicious use of internet has to be there)
    Ek cheez yaad rakhiyega - 200 words answers me at max you can vomit 10 good points
    So jis bhi issue pe notes banaye keep the points relevant and backed up by some argumnents/ examples, plus thoda hatke wale rahe to bonus pointer milenege....

Baaki to sabon ne qchchi recommendations dee hi hain.
    PS - strictly personal opinion - there are infinite ways to do the same.
    The associated email has been deleted. The ID is defunct.
  • akkib89 said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

Bhai you are already spending your precious time for this exam. Equate time with money.
    Saving 90rs will seem like a bad joke later on (lots of opportunity cost to consider here)
    Notes on issues supplemented by data mining from internet can be done (but very judicious use of internet has to be there)
    Ek cheez yaad rakhiyega - 200 words answers me at max you can vomit 10 good points
    So jis bhi issue pe notes banaye keep the points relevant and backed up by some argumnents/ examples, plus thoda hatke wale rahe to bonus pointer milenege....

akkib89 said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

+10.
  • akkib89 said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

Can you suggest some good compilations!
  • akkib89 said:

The Hindu
    The Indian express

Also please suggest on how to retain the newspaper facts like that of text books B) .

Can you suggest some good compilations!
    I was thinking of jumping off the forum-bandwagon :# But let me try to address this concern of yours before that final leap. ;)

Haha. Let's end this hullabloo, right here, right now. B) The ! seems to indicate a bit of frustation.

As far as effectiveness goes, I'll say that hands down the compilers at Vision are doing a great job.
    But, as we all know, a little bit of data mining goes a long way in the overall consolidation of CA. Can't escape it. Nopes. IMO we 'have' to supplement Vision with the internet. Add dimensions to it, ellaborate on the background of issues, cross-check data, add fodder points that supplement Vision's coverage.

Now coming to the areas that Vision seems to miss in its monthly issues (for lack of space, carelessness, etc - whatever might be the reason), here our daily news coverages from NewsPapers become crucial. Yup! The classic approach is still the best for CSE. Again we can't escape this fact. A lot of material (and I emphasize on 'lot') is generally missed by aspirants like us just because we are not regular with the dailies.

Apart from this, there are shows on RSTV and LSTV (both have equally good shows, your pick will totally depend on what you prefer) that undoubtedly help us broaden our undertandings (that is to say add multi-dimensional thinking) related to how we look upon any relevant / prevelant issue.

Now at the top of the ladder, lie our notes - the only thing that'll sustain us in the end. So the crux lies herein -

Issues >> Newspapers (general, day to day) + Vision (Cherry-picked) >> Supplemented by shows (fodder) + data mining (fodder) >> Consolidation and Filing into self-prepared Concise Notes of our own (handwritten / typed - IMO doesn't matter that much)

PS - GS Score's Current Analyst and CivilsDaily Monthly compilations are also good. The former covers issues comprehensively, albeit only a few, while the latter one has quite an expansive range of coverage. If you do want to be cent per cent sure wrt to the breadth of your coverage and don't want to risk missing anything, then maybe you can have a look at them (just try being very selective). At the end of the day, we can only cover as many things as it is humanly possible, right?
    Another good approach that I have found people resorting to is that they scan through editorials from one or two dailies additionaly. One thing that must be kept in mind here is that the human brain works best with a fixed set of constraints. It is better to restrict the number of sources to as few as possible so that it doesn't become a hotch-potch, later on, in the end.

So that's it from my side. Hope this was of some help to you.

It is something that I can't and don't vouch for, neither do I believe that it is the best methodology to apply here. That being said, you can definitely pick up what you found to be in tandem with your own thoughts about this, and take the liberty to just ignore the rest. :)
    Best of luck! B)
  • edited January 31
    BTW you seem like a damn old player. Almost same as me. The 3 compilations hopefully may work for ya. TC. And Best of Luck again.
  • @Woodpecker
    Lol, maine baad me dekha ki aap senior wale 'Woodpecker' ho. B) Initially laga I was addressing some fresher. Par type kar diya tha. Load mat lijiyega, hehe. o:)

3 more good compilations that I found (which probably you would have not gone through)-
    Synergy raftar (comprehensive + daily) - no idea about current status
    Ye ek Drishti wali bhi badiya lagi (saw one complete issue)
    JagranJosh (quality has degraded, 2016 start was a good year
    B)
  • knock knock B)
  • edited January 31
    the_hindu said:

knock knock B)

So jao be. Sala 5 baje knock knock khelna nai. ;)
  • akkib89 said:

@Woodpecker
    Lol, maine baad me dekha ki aap senior wale 'Woodpecker' ho. B) Initially laga I was addressing some fresher. Par type kar diya tha. Load mat lijiyega, hehe. o:)

3 more good compilations that I found (which probably you would have not gone through)-
    B)

kaahe k senior, failure baithey hain bhai. tum bhi aspirant hum bhi isme load kya lena. all the best :)
  • edited February 1

akkib89 said:

@Woodpecker

B)

kaahe k senior, failure baithey hain bhai. tum bhi aspirant hum bhi isme load kya lena. all the best :)
    Cool be. B)
    Same 2u.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog