ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

[Answer Writing for Beginners] How to convert your thoughts into Words

Hi guys

Didn't write more than 4-5 sentences at one stretch in last 8/9 years.
Quite comfortable in MCQs and finished all static contents.
Although I know the answer, despite not able to scribble more than 50/100 words.

Kindly suggest how to break this 'shackle'?

Thanks
·
«1

Comments

  • 1. Start writing.
    2. Write BS answers that may even be totally off-track.
    3. Get them reviewed by someone who has scored decently earlier, or write on the portal under Mains Marathon so that they can get reviewed.
    4. Improve.
    5. Write better answers.
    6. Back to 3 and loop.

    There are no shortcuts to success. :)
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: (?)
    Literature of English Language.
    Dentist, bounty hunter, aspiring diplomat. Opinionated.
    ·
  • DrKing is absolutely right.My two cents.


    Write, make mistakes , understand mistakes , do not fall in the trap of thinking you are good , write again , this time learning from your mistakes.Review again.Now go have a looka at topper answersheets.Look at flow.Look at structure.Write again.Review Ask someone else to check( teacher , friend, successful candidate).Learn from mistakes.Practice again.

    Keep dping this till you succeed.
    Some tips:


    Good writing comes from clear thought.

    Clear thought will come from linking and understanding what you read in simple terms.

    Good understanding comes from investing time in studying the material again and again.



    Best of luck.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • You can start by writing essays. You will have sufficient time to formulate the opinion and your structure and flow will be better. Gradually move on to GS answer writing which is quick and concise.
    ·
  • What many fail to understand is that writing answers is not only mechanical excercise. It involves thinking, linking, structuring and then conveying it in precise manner. Though if you ask someone who wrote answers just by giving mocks, he/she will say write as much as you can. Donkeys do that.

    First step has to be improving thinking process. So for 1-2 weeks I will advise you to look at the Questions on insights secure and just think what points you will write. Then move on think entire framework of answers. (Which current egs I can quote, REPORTS, recommendations, stats, diagrams, flow charts, maps...). Also while reading anything, identify the section or.topic of syllabus where it fits in.

    Then move on to write answers. Starting with an essay a week is good approach as it involves above mentioned things. Only writing answers without doing this will ensure you improve one thing i.e. writing speed and nothing else. And then people will say answer writing is overrated.

    :blush:
    ·
  • 1. Start writing.
    2. Write BS answers that may even be totally off-track.
    3. Get them reviewed by someone who has scored decently earlier, or write on the portal under Mains Marathon so that they can get reviewed.
    4. Improve.
    5. Write better answers.
    6. Back to 3 and loop.

    There are no shortcuts to success. :)

    Of course there are. Only if one uses brain to figure out how minimize effort and maximize output. The reason why many are able to achieve in 1-2 attempts what other cannot in 5 attempts.
    For example. Making notes of laximikant is sheer waste of time and effort. But highlighting key points and recalling them is not.
    :blush:
    ·
  • kaguya said:

    1. Start writing.
    2. Write BS answers that may even be totally off-track.
    3. Get them reviewed by someone who has scored decently earlier, or write on the portal under Mains Marathon so that they can get reviewed.
    4. Improve.
    5. Write better answers.
    6. Back to 3 and loop.

    There are no shortcuts to success. :)

    Of course there are. Only if one uses brain to figure out how minimize effort and maximize output. The reason why many are able to achieve in 1-2 attempts what other cannot in 5 attempts.
    For example. Making notes of laximikant is sheer waste of time and effort. But highlighting key points and recalling them is not.
    :blush:
    Your'e equating smart work with shotcuts. :tongue:
    But let's not get into semantics. You eaborated the first step while I elaborated the next. :)
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: (?)
    Literature of English Language.
    Dentist, bounty hunter, aspiring diplomat. Opinionated.
    ·
  • kaguya said:

    1. Start writing.
    2. Write BS answers that may even be totally off-track.
    3. Get them reviewed by someone who has scored decently earlier, or write on the portal under Mains Marathon so that they can get reviewed.
    4. Improve.
    5. Write better answers.
    6. Back to 3 and loop.

    There are no shortcuts to success. :)

    Of course there are. Only if one uses brain to figure out how minimize effort and maximize output. The reason why many are able to achieve in 1-2 attempts what other cannot in 5 attempts.
    For example. Making notes of laximikant is sheer waste of time and effort. But highlighting key points and recalling them is not.
    :blush:
    Your'e equating smart work with shotcuts. :tongue:
    But let's not get into semantics. You eaborated the first step while I elaborated the next. :)
    Few weeks before I was comparing apples with oranges according to a mahatma.
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    ·
  • Hi. I had similar problem. Initially I used to make bullets of ncert and made newspaper notes as a part of writing practice which clearly was not smart work,.
    By now you must have written something(50-100 words)..Read your writings after 7-10 days..You yourself can critically evaluate it. Some redundant facts that needs to be discarded..Some points that must be requiring more clarification.. This will help in improving further writings..
    writing is an art ..it should aim towards reader.. As a reader, I would prefer a writer who has an authenticated source.. In lead article writers mention their designation.. But we are not professionals, so we need to quote authenticated source to back our information credibility. Eg some official data, phrases, commitee recommendation.. Once this is done, reader will have more interest in reading your answer...
    No would appreciate repetitiveness. So its better to integrate related facts in the same paragraph/point.
    As a beginner, you can always divide your answer in social-political-economic-cultural aspects..This will help you think systematically..But eventually you will learn, they are not discrete.
    If you have 10 days and control on instincts...use Quora.. Articles in newspapers are written by people who have extraordinary information..So writing style may not even be there preference..But we need to learn it as our aim is to sell our argument to examinor..One thing you will surely learn at quora is the art of attractive writing..answers by people having similar information but different style are very different..

    Write on random topics to get a flow.. and later on Insight secure is a good platform to compare our answer with others

    PS: wrote in an answer format rather than bullet points. :p
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
  • edited January 21
    kaguya said:

    What many fail to understand is that writing answers is not only mechanical excercise. It involves thinking, linking, structuring and then conveying it in precise manner. Though if you ask someone who wrote answers just by giving mocks, he/she will say write as much as you can. Donkeys do that.

    First step has to be improving thinking process. So for 1-2 weeks I will advise you to look at the Questions on insights secure and just think what points you will write. Then move on think entire framework of answers. (Which current egs I can quote, REPORTS, recommendations, stats, diagrams, flow charts, maps...). Also while reading anything, identify the section or.topic of syllabus where it fits in.

    Then move on to write answers. Starting with an essay a week is good approach as it involves above mentioned things. Only writing answers without doing this will ensure you improve one thing i.e. writing speed and nothing else. And then people will say answer writing is overrated.

    :blush:

    lol... sahi kaha..
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
  • seed_15 said:

    kaguya said:

    What many fail to understand is that writing answers is not only mechanical excercise. It involves thinking, linking, structuring and then conveying it in precise manner. Though if you ask someone who wrote answers just by giving mocks, he/she will say write as much as you can. Donkeys do that.

    First step has to be improving thinking process. So for 1-2 weeks I will advise you to look at the Questions on insights secure and just think what points you will write. Then move on think entire framework of answers. (Which current egs I can quote, REPORTS, recommendations, stats, diagrams, flow charts, maps...). Also while reading anything, identify the section or.topic of syllabus where it fits in.

    Then move on to write answers. Starting with an essay a week is good approach as it involves above mentioned things. Only writing answers without doing this will ensure you improve one thing i.e. writing speed and nothing else. And then people will say answer writing is overrated.

    :blush:

    lol... sahi kaha..
    :mrgreen:
    ·
  • Bsss jo upr gyaan diya h usme se KOI EK KO BHI sche tan , man or dhan or dhyaaaaaan se IMPLEMENT kr dena.. you will be able to write >500 words on any reasonable topic ;)

    PS- especially what Dr King have said !! :)
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)
    ·
  • Shad said:

    Hi guys

    Didn't write more than 4-5 sentences at one stretch in last 8/9 years.
    Quite comfortable in MCQs and finished all static contents.
    Although I know the answer, despite not able to scribble more than 50/100 words.

    Kindly suggest how to break this 'shackle'?

    Thanks

    Try to analyze any topic from these pov's.
    PESTEL, SWOT, Constitutional, Legal, Moral, Logical, Ethical, Societal, Personal, Neutral/3rd Person. You will find plenty of things to write. :mrgreen:
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • Bsss jo upr gyaan diya h usme se KOI EK KO BHI sche tan , man or dhan or dhyaaaaaan se IMPLEMENT kr dena.. you will be able to write >500 words on any reasonable topic ;)

    PS- especially what Dr King have said !! :)


    I forgot to mention..whatever i wrote is supplementary to above mentioned thoughts to which i completely agree. :)
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
  • :blush:

    Overwhelmed to receive responses from almost all the prominent personalities of Forum IAS.
    I am articulating every suggestion and would definitely work on them.

    However, If I ask for personlised solution as you might have got the hint from my first line that I was having some psychological constraint too. That may be my indolence shaped over a large span of time. If I remember, I used to write just a little bit more than 25 words (that's minimum set by program) while writing my appraisals or reviewing my subordinates'.

    I actually pushed myself to write an essay after reading Neywan's suggestion in some other thread last month, but that enthusiasm died down in a day or two. I don't feel lethargic while reading or memorising stuff but its only writing where I feel so much restraint. :'( Anything please .... ?
    ·
  • Wooha, I guess I wrote more than 100 words above :) That's more than my any social media's status.
    But again, I took over 15 minutes for that and no longer in a mood to write anything further.
    ·
  • Shad said:

    Wooha, I guess I wrote more than 100 words above :) That's more than my any social media's status.
    But again, I took over 15 minutes for that and no longer in a mood to write anything further.

    I was counting words only. I saw that coming. :mrgreen:
    ·
  • kaguya said:

    Shad said:

    Wooha, I guess I wrote more than 100 words above :) That's more than my any social media's status.
    But again, I took over 15 minutes for that and no longer in a mood to write anything further.

    I was counting words only. I saw that coming. :mrgreen:
    :)
    ·
  • Bsss jo upr gyaan diya h usme se KOI EK KO BHI sche tan , man or dhan or dhyaaaaaan se IMPLEMENT kr dena.. you will be able to write >500 words on any reasonable topic ;)

    PS- especially what Dr King have said !! :)

    I know what I will ask is unrelated to what is being discussed here..but please PLEASSSEEE someone help me manage my time between optional and GS. For some reason i am not able to make any practical targets. In the past 20 days I have not achieved even one of my target for the week! Please someone give some gyan so that i feel confident
    ·
  • edited January 22
    @KhatoonKamyab Try to finish optional first; at least once. Twice is better. Then go for GS main.

    Majority of prelims portion will be covered during main preparation. Keep separate notes for both for easy revision.

    Give last 50 days for prelim. Then continue GS+optional after prelim.
    "There should be no boundaries to human endeavor. We are all different. However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there's life, there is hope" - Stephen Hawking
    ·
  • @KhatoonKamyab Try to finish optional first; at least once. Twice is better. Then go for GS main.

    Majority of prelims portion will be covered during main preparation. Keep separate notes for both for easy revision.

    Give last 50 days for prelim. Then continue GS+optional after prelim.

    +1
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google