"I really don't think there is anything that is better structured and more interactive in regard to Mains than the ForumIAS Mains Guidance Program." - Mitali Sethi (IAS-2016, AIR-56)
MGP Schedule C - Admissions Open Now!
Click here to read more
*Limited Seats. First Come, First Serve basis only.
Mains 2017 : The Only Course you will need to Score 400+ in GS
Mains Foundation 2017 by Ravi R Chokkalingam – to cover GS Paper 2, Paper 3, Paper 1 (Social Issues), Ethics & Essay – with 4 Full Length Mock Tests.
Classes (Online | Offline) commence from 27th June for Mains Foundation, Mains Current Affairs, GS Paper III, Ethics & Essay

Call : 9555923039 for early bird discounts

Manipur Bills controversy.

What was the controversy regarding introduction of 3 Bills in Manipur assembly in 2015?
Can someone explain in plain words!?
:smile:
·

Comments

• What was the controversy regarding introduction of 3 Bills in Manipur assembly in 2015?

if you create one thread for each question, don't you think you are taking too much space than you deserve? :expressionless:
    ·
  • What was the controversy regarding introduction of 3 Bills in Manipur assembly in 2015?

it is Meitei(of valley) V/s Naga(of hills) rivalry.Nagas who live in hills are seen as foreigner by Meiteis (who want ST status) because of Naga demand of greater Nagaland which will eat away hilly districts of Manipur.
    ·
  • Three bills and issues.

1. PMP Bill (Protection of Manipur People's Bill) - The bill seeks to check influx of migrant population into Manipur by bringing ILP like mechanism. To this, population is divided into locals vs outsiders where definition of local is outlined as one whose name/forefathers' name are enlisted in 1951 census. The hill people (Nagas and Kukis) are against the cut off year of 1951 becos as per them, during that time there was no proper communication in the remote hill areas of Manipur becos of which their villages are not even listed. So, if 51 is accepted as the cut off year, they would become refugees in their own land.

2. Shop and Establishement Act : As per this act, all the commercial units have to be in the name of locals. Nagas and Kukis oppose this act for the same reason given in 1.

3. Land Reforms and Reveneue Act: The hill people do not want this act to be implemented in the hills which are scheduled lands. This act is implemen ted in hte valley areas home to Meteis. They fear that once this act is implemented , the constitutional protection of thier land will go away and that, outsiders can purchase land in the hills which will change the demograhpy.

Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh. Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh
    ·
  • Thanks @TatkalService ... great explanation...

just one thing... wrt 3rd act they are special hill areas and not scheduled areas... just saying that mistakenly using the words 'scheduled' or 'tribal areas' might cost some marks in exam...
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·
  • Hey Jayme bro, thanks. Adminisrtration of hill areas in Manipur are under V schedule. Also, state govt cant make laws on subjects of the hill people which have constitutional protection. So, cant we say that hill areas of Manipur are scheduled areas becaos manipur hills come under the ambit of constitional protection guarded by Pres/Gov?

A non-tribal cant buy land in scheduled areas. This is the precise reason why Land Reforms and Rev Act (Bill no 2) was objected by Naga/Kuki becos if this act is implemented in the hills as well (it's already there in the valley areas, so lots of outsiders - genesis of ILP movement from the valley) , it would dilute their 'excluded' status therby bringing in outsiders. [ Culled from Hindu/my notes - ] Even the valley non-tribal Metei population are not allowed to buy land in hiolls of Manipur.

As far as I know, tribal areas need not be scheduled areas but all scheduled areas are tribal areas. Please refer Lakshmikant book on special provisions of teh states. Having said so, I am open to more correction as my CA notes are exclusively from the Hindu and net, for terms that I dont understnd. @Jaime_Lannister

Jai mom di. _/\_

Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh. Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh
    ·
  • edited January 21

What was the controversy regarding introduction of 3 Bills in Manipur assembly in 2015?

if you create one thread for each question, don't you think you are taking too much space than you deserve? :expressionless:
    Creating separate thread for each issues is how the forum is supposed to work.
    Unfortunately, people use it for entertainment purposes, crowding out serious aspirants who might be preparing in isolation and need to connect with others similarly placed.
    And there are no set guidelines regarding space allotments. :wink:
    Prelims: 4*. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.
    ·
  • Hey Jayme bro, thanks. Adminisrtration of hill areas in Manipur are under V schedule. Also, state govt cant make laws on subjects of the hill people which have constitutional protection. So, cant we say that hill areas of Manipur are scheduled areas becaos manipur hills come under the ambit of constitional protection guarded by Pres/Gov?

A non-tribal cant buy land in scheduled areas. This is the precise reason why Land Reforms and Rev Act (Bill no 2) was objected by Naga/Kuki becos if this act is implemented in the hills as well (it's already there in the valley areas, so lots of outsiders - genesis of ILP movement from the valley) , it would dilute their 'excluded' status therby bringing in outsiders. [ Culled from Hindu/my notes - ] Even the valley non-tribal Metei population are not allowed to buy land in hiolls of Manipur.

As far as I know, tribal areas need not be scheduled areas but all scheduled areas are tribal areas. Please refer Lakshmikant book on special provisions of teh states. Having said so, I am open to more correction as my CA notes are exclusively from the Hindu and net, for terms that I dont understnd. @ Jaime_Lannister

Jai mom di. _/\_

Scheduled areas - Art 244(1) and 5th schedule Part C Sec 6.
    planningcommission.nic.in/sectors/sj/List%20of%20Fifth%20Scheduled%20Area.doc

Manipur - Temporary transitional and special provisions - Art 371C and Explanation to Art 371C(2)

Matter of semantics.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·
  • edited January 22

Creating separate thread for each issues is how the forum is supposed to work.
    Unfortunately, people use it for entertainment purposes, crowding out serious aspirants who might be preparing in isolation and need to connect with others similarly placed.
    And there are no set guidelines regarding space allotments. :wink:
    @DrKingSchultz daactor sahib ki paini nazar har thread pe rehti h.. respect for being so responsible.
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
  • now that an extra thread has been created (whether we deserve or not), I have a question
    what was political motive of the present congress govt of providing 7 new districts and why so much opposition. All those avoiding politics understand that politics will not be that kind :p
    pal bhar ke liye koi rslt dikha de...jhota hi sahi
    ·

it is Meitei(of valley) V/s Naga(of hills) rivalry.Nagas who live in hills are seen as foreigner by Meiteis (who want ST status) because of Naga demand of greater Nagaland which will eat away hilly districts of Manipur.
    Completely uninformed n biased comment.ther is no such thing as foreigner or alien. Naga is a modern term named by british. Before that,all communities now under kuki,naga n meitei live in harmony. The present problem is related to definition of maniuri people and the cut off period to decide indegeneous people of manipur. It has nothing to do with st status of meitei nor eating away of hill areas. Its a demand for future generations against losing identity of local people due to midrants such as in tripura.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google