Watch LIVE

GS Score Pre foundation classes for IAS 2018 Lecture No. 9 on Science & Tech (GS Paper 3) by Ritesh Jaisawal is now live ! Click Here to watch now.

how to prepare essay - for beginner

plz suggest me good strategy for preparing essay for upsc. As I am beginner , I do not know how to prepare for essay writing for upsc.
·

Comments

• Bhai kuch mat kro phle prep complete kr lo last mai essay apne aap likh jaoge !!!!!
    ·
  • Bhai kuch mat kro phle prep complete kr lo last mai essay apne aap likh jaoge !!!!!

aikdom korrekt. focus on GS prelims first, and then on answer writing for mains. By the time you reach the essay paper, you will have shitloads to write.
    Barbad forumistaan karne ko to ek hi ullu kaafi tha
    Yahan..har post pe ullu baitha hai anjam-e-forumistan kya hoga
    ·

aikdom korrekt. focus on GS prelims first, and then on answer writing for mains. By the time you reach the essay paper, you will have shitloads to write.
    newspaper reading ka essay writing me kya role ha?
    ·
  • First you need to have a topic. The topic that you choose to discuss on your essay will be the tipping point of the whole essay perse. You need to have enough knowledge about the things that you want to tackle in order for you to complete your essay as a beginner. If you can't write essay don't be afraid to ask for help from the expert themselves. There are a lot of top quality essay writing service online, you just need to find the right company that meets your standard and you budget like the experts from Paperhelp testimonials. Just be wise in choosing the right expert and make sure they are legit.
    ·
  • You can refer Shabbir Sir's class notes. That had content as well. But to get your essays marked you will have to join some test series. Maybe Vikas Ranjan Sir's essay classes.
    ·
  • Newspaper reading makes you aware of diff perspectives on any topic/issue and gives you enough points to use judiciously for a decent essay.

Given that you are a beginner at the moment in cse preparation, please don't bother about essay. Try to finish mains syllabus as per your plans and while you're at it, give some extra time to indian society topics of gs1. Gs4 prep would help in vaguely articulated essays( philosophical one's).

Yet, if you are adamant of finishing essay first- use the search tab in the forum desktop version site and explore through all previous threads-those remain a goldmine anyday.

Best wishes!
    ·
  • 1. Maam, I have been trying to write essays on the past year questions of the mains exam, but i have not been able to write it. .What would you suggest for the essay? I google the topic's name and read few articles on it and then when i sit to write, i am unable to write on that topic, why is it so? What is the way to deal with(=prepare for) i.e. practice for essay paper?
    Where to get the relevant content for the essay which we are writing on? For the gs mains papers, i have been able to trace that the examiner frames most of his questions from the newspaper. But i am still wondering from what source the examiner frames the topics of the essay paper. Also, what does he expect in the answers to the essay, i..e. what does he desire to see in the content of the essay.

In gs mains, i can tell to some extent that xyz topics are important and question can be asked on them but in essay i am just clueless and i cant even remotely guess on what topic the essay question would be asked. Could you please tell how can i predict that an essay topic would be based on xyz theme or something similar. This is important when i have finished doing the past year questions of the upsc essay papers.

2. Also, how relevant is newspaper for essay paper? Most people say that newspaper are very relevant for the essay paper but i have not been able to find a link between the issues in the newspaper and the essay topic, so it seems to me that the newspapers are just not meant(or perhaps, are insufficient) to write an essay. Same is true for Yojana magazine, which i find even less relevant for the essay paper and above all to the essay topic.

I have not been able to write essays upto my expectation(i..e essays which are coherent, have flow in them and look like an essay written by some graduate student, etc.). Most of my essays appear to be essays written by some 10th grade or 12th grade student and they don't appear of the level i am expecting them to be.
    What should be the parameters on which we should evaluate our essays after writing them.

Writing up 1000-1200 words and making the entire essay sound meaningful is a very big task and it cant be done judt by mere bluffing. .I mean, 1200 words is such a big thing that bluffing would be easily found out and candidate would be awarded less marks.

3. And then there is entire talk on the philosophical vs non-philosophical essay topics. I dont know how much truth is involved in it, but i am not in a position to enquire also because i have not been able to write an essay on even a single topic(whether philosophical or non-philosophical topic) as of now. .Please throw some light on this aspect also.

4. Moreover, there are no good coaching or test series also for essay as all test series give merely 5-10 essay tests. So, there is no one to guide on this issue of how to prepare for essay paper. So, only way out seems to be self-evaluation. Even communities like insightsonindia or forumias, etc. are not very active when it comes to essay writing and most of their essay topics are not answered by people and there are no voices when it comes to evaluation of essays on them.

5. Also, an you tell how should we practice essays on one-note page or ms word page or physical paper-pen, because i am not able to keep track of how many words have i written in the essay. Should our purpose be to write essay to fill certain no. of blank A4 pages or should we write according to the no. of words(i.e. 1000-1200 words).

And also tell after how many hours should we evaluate our essays which we have written for purpose of practice.

With warm regards
    @yoga123
    ·
  • Also, ,please tell how are people able to score exceptionally high marks like 140, 128, etc. in essay paper when it seems so uncertain to me. Is luck factor(i.e. things like mood of examiner, etc.) involved in scoring marks in essay or are the marks awarded based solely on the basis of content of the essay?
    @yoga123
    ·
  • @jitendr Sir, please clarify the above query, if you get time.
    ·
  • @supercooldude thanx for highlighting this issue.
    I have been facing similar problem,though i can write good GS answers when it comes to essay I am unable to generate content.

If some one has found the technique to overcome this please share.

Please don't repeat the cliched technique of reading newspaper or yojana.

Pre=2 Mains=2015 Optional=Political Science
    ·

• Well, I will first of all say that may be you are hurrying yourself into things. Essay will not be a problem once you are aware of all the issues and are able to develop linkages
    Just remember that your essay need not be outstanding with respect to knowledge and information. It should be diverse where you touch upon different sides of it, Lets say Economic, Social,political, Geographical,Cultural, Ethical ,Constitutional etc (wherever relevant) .
    Consider Essay as a gist of GS 1,2,3,4. So, what is important is that how you touch upon the topic from different angles and onviously how your views are. Don't try to write essays on mains questions. You might look at the last few months,s Yojana and just see the main topic on which it is dedicated, Lets say Urban development, Women empowerment; Tourism etc. and try to write on it in the beginning. Go through toppers essay copies on vision and you will see they wrote in the easiest of the languages .Don't try a Shakespear in Essay. A well written essay with simplest of language is what you need.
    For Philosophical Vs Non-philosophical, its personal choice. I would say choose that topic on which you are sure that you have understood the topic completely.In philo topics sometimes people interpret it in a very different way. So, for safe side, choose non-philo until you get a topic of your liking

Join Vision essay test series or any other and just write regularly and keep evaluating yourself

A good practice is to select some topics and then just make the framework of the essay on 1 page.This will help in getting the feel

1. Maam, I have been trying to write essays on the past year questions of the mains exam, but i have not been able to write it. .What would you suggest for the essay? I google the topic's name and read few articles on it and then when i sit to write, i am unable to write on that topic, why is it so? What is the way to deal with(=prepare for) i.e. practice for essay paper?
    Where to get the relevant content for the essay which we are writing on? For the gs mains papers, i have been able to trace that the examiner frames most of his questions from the newspaper. But i am still wondering from what source the examiner frames the topics of the essay paper. Also, what does he expect in the answers to the essay, i..e. what does he desire to see in the content of the essay.

In gs mains, i can tell to some extent that xyz topics are important and question can be asked on them but in essay i am just clueless and i cant even remotely guess on what topic the essay question would be asked. Could you please tell how can i predict that an essay topic would be based on xyz theme or something similar. This is important when i have finished doing the past year questions of the upsc essay papers.

2. Also, how relevant is newspaper for essay paper? Most people say that newspaper are very relevant for the essay paper but i have not been able to find a link between the issues in the newspaper and the essay topic, so it seems to me that the newspapers are just not meant(or perhaps, are insufficient) to write an essay. Same is true for Yojana magazine, which i find even less relevant for the essay paper and above all to the essay topic.

I have not been able to write essays upto my expectation(i..e essays which are coherent, have flow in them and look like an essay written by some graduate student, etc.). Most of my essays appear to be essays written by some 10th grade or 12th grade student and they don't appear of the level i am expecting them to be.
    What should be the parameters on which we should evaluate our essays after writing them.

Writing up 1000-1200 words and making the entire essay sound meaningful is a very big task and it cant be done judt by mere bluffing. .I mean, 1200 words is such a big thing that bluffing would be easily found out and candidate would be awarded less marks.

3. And then there is entire talk on the philosophical vs non-philosophical essay topics. I dont know how much truth is involved in it, but i am not in a position to enquire also because i have not been able to write an essay on even a single topic(whether philosophical or non-philosophical topic) as of now. .Please throw some light on this aspect also.

4. Moreover, there are no good coaching or test series also for essay as all test series give merely 5-10 essay tests. So, there is no one to guide on this issue of how to prepare for essay paper. So, only way out seems to be self-evaluation. Even communities like insightsonindia or forumias, etc. are not very active when it comes to essay writing and most of their essay topics are not answered by people and there are no voices when it comes to evaluation of essays on them.

5. Also, an you tell how should we practice essays on one-note page or ms word page or physical paper-pen, because i am not able to keep track of how many words have i written in the essay. Should our purpose be to write essay to fill certain no. of blank A4 pages or should we write according to the no. of words(i.e. 1000-1200 words).

And also tell after how many hours should we evaluate our essays which we have written for purpose of practice.

With warm regards
    @yoga123

·
  • How To Prepare For UPSC—Dirt Cheap?
    Salmaan is a poor-poor boy. He doesn’t stay in a metropolitan city. Neither he has plentiful cash to join an end-to-end coaching—nor he has friends who know anything about USPC—at least not enough to answer his questions
    Read More - http://www.iaseducator.com/prepare-upsc-dirt-cheap/
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google