Must Download : Prelims 2017 - ForumIAS Current Affairs Modules (September 2016 - May 2017)
NEW REVISION CLASSES PRE'17 History+ Environment+Govt Schemes

Thank you for your tremendous response, to the revision classes for Prelims 2017being conducted in New Delhi. Based on your requests and suggestions, we have come up with new classes as per below schedule
(1)Art & Culture Revision ( REPEAT ) - May 27th & 28th, (2) Modern History ( REPEAT ) - May 30th (3) Govt Schemes + Allied Issues - May 31st (4) Environment & Ecology - Friday, June 2

Seats fill up in a few hours, and we don't plan any more repeat classes, so register early. Click Here to get more details and register early to avoid inconvenience. All revision classes will be held from 5PM to 8PM.

Geography Answer Writing -2017

Hello friends,
Lets try to solve all the previous year as well as various relevant questions related to geography. I will post questions everyday and if some one else want he can give question too. In this way we will try to cover optional 2 months before pre exam. All interested people gather here.
You talk when u cease to be at peace with your mind
·

Comments

• Today's question:
    1.Define the concept of isostasy and discuss the postulations of Airy and Pratt.(20 marks)
    ·
  • Define the concept of isostasy and discuss the postulations of Airy and Pratt.(20 marks)
    Isostasy 3.jpeg
    2550 x 3508 - 387K
    Isostasy 1.jpeg
    2550 x 3508 - 789K
    Isostasy 2.jpeg
    2550 x 3508 - 729K
    The day we decided, that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, was the day Education failed us.
    ·
  • Geography Paper 2 (1991)
    Q: Explain the hierarchical pattern of Indian cities and discuss their growth and distribution (200 Words)
    The day we decided, that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, was the day Education failed us.
    ·
  • edited December 2016

Define the concept of isostasy and discuss the postulations of Airy and Pratt.(20 marks)

Gud attempt ...however I would suggest following improvements
    1.I would define isostasy as a phenomenon of mechanical stability experienced by earth where various high lying features like mountain, and low lying features like ocean basin remains in mechanical equilibrium on fast rotating earth....I feel this would be more elaborate.....
    2.Airy I guess was first to provide theory on isostasy ..so mention his before Pratt.
    3.I feel instead of mentioning ..historical background...I.e case of gravitational anomaly... I would focus more on mentioning how airy explained existence of isostasy and then how Pratt ..gave his theory to remove limitations of airy ..... And will conclude it with latest understanding...in few lines.....mentioning Gravitational anomaly...will also require ...to mention how Airy and Pratt theories ..give explanation to this anomaly.....considering its 20 marker...not much words available.....

I will write tomorrow.......btw very nice handwriting......keep it up...
    ·
  • Geography Paper 2 (1991)
    Q: Explain the hierarchical pattern of Indian cities and discuss their growth and distribution (200 Words)

I was thinking...first we complete paper 1... Then we start paper 2....paper 2 demands knowledge of paper 1 itself..... What do u think ?
    ·
  • Define the concept of isostasy and discuss the postulations of Airy and Pratt.(20 marks)

Gud attempt ...however I would suggest following improvements
    1.I would define isostasy as a phenomenon of mechanical stability experienced by earth where various high lying features like mountain, and low lying features like ocean basin remains in mechanical equilibrium on fast rotating earth....I feel this would be more elaborate.....
    2.Airy I guess was first to provide theory on isostasy ..so mention his before Pratt.
    3.I feel instead of mentioning ..historical background...I.e case of gravitational anomaly... I would focus more on mentioning how airy explained existence of isostasy and then how Pratt ..gave his theory to remove limitations of airy ..... And will conclude it with latest understanding...in few lines.....mentioning Gravitational anomaly...will also require ...to mention how Airy and Pratt theories ..give explanation to this anomaly.....considering its 20 marker...not much words available.....

I will write tomorrow.......btw very nice handwriting......keep it up...
    I thought Airy's was much better
    Btw, how to decide the number of words for a 20 marker?

Geography Paper 2 (1991)

I was thinking...first we complete paper 1... Then we start paper 2....paper 2 demands knowledge of paper 1 itself..... What do u think ?
    Okay
    ·
    ·
  • Is there some problem in uploading images???? I tried 4 times
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    bongo123 said:

Is there some problem in uploading images???? I tried 4 times

yaar ... i have not tried uploading yet..... others too have faced this prob earlier......i think one has to resize..the image......u can ask on answer writing thread-2017....they regularly upload....
    ·
  • Today's queation??? ........
    ·
  • bongo123 said:

Today's queation??? ........

Bhai...from tomorrow I will post regularly...today..cold n fever...... :'( :'(
    ·
  • Q.Critically evaluate the continental drift hypothesis of A.Wegner.(20 Marks)
    ·

Wegner 1.jpeg
    2550 x 3508 - 829K
    Wegner 2.jpeg
    2550 x 3508 - 782K
    ·
  • Test series or coaching is better for geography optional before prelims.
    Pls share your experiences both for those who gave mains or otherwise[i.e those who have already prepared the subject ones].
    ·

Gud attempt..... Let me write too.....
    ·
  • Yr mere to photos he upload nhi ho rhe h
    ·

good attempt. but i think since the question asks us to critically analyze, you should spend around 35% on explaining it and its plus points, and 65% on its shortcomings and criticism. plus u wrote that he couldn't explain why continents moved north and westward. he actually tried to explain that, but gave a wrong explanation.
    i think in critically analyze type of questions, a better format is to talk about the theory and simultaneously criticize it. for example, while talking about the movement we can say that:
    Wegener suggested that gravitational pull of sun and moon was responsible for the westward drift, while northward drift resulted from centrifugal forces generated due to rotation of the earth. however, later it was rightly pointed out that these forces are too weak to account for the continental drift, and currently it is believed that convection currents are responsible for the movement of lithospheric plates.
    in this way we can simultaneously talk about the theory as well as its critical evaluation.
    ·

good attempt. but i think since the question asks us to critically analyze, you should spend around 35% on explaining it and its plus points, and 65% on its shortcomings and criticism. plus u wrote that he couldn't explain why continents moved north and westward. he actually tried to explain that, but gave a wrong explanation.
    i think in critically analyze type of questions, a better format is to talk about the theory and simultaneously criticize it. for example, while talking about the movement we can say that:
    Wegener suggested that gravitational pull of sun and moon was responsible for the westward drift, while northward drift resulted from centrifugal forces generated due to rotation of the earth. however, later it was rightly pointed out that these forces are too weak to account for the continental drift, and currently it is believed that convection currents are responsible for the movement of lithospheric plates.
    in this way we can simultaneously talk about the theory as well as its critical evaluation.
    yeah, this approach is way better than mine. Thanks for the additional info., I didn't know that :)
    ·
  • from where i can get rupa made simple 2 books
    ·
  • i think these are two required books if yes then confirm me
    81zTwGY3q+L._SL1500_.jpg
    947 x 1500 - 474K
    81rcYMUKZHL._SL1500_.jpg
    919 x 1500 - 827K
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google