ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

If you are an engineer but aspire to be an economist how do you shift ?

If one would like to work for the government in the capacity of a researcher/budget analyst/economist ?

How should one go about it?

One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
How you do anything is how you do everything.
·

Comments

• There are some really good colleges for pursuing masters in economics.
    1st type- JNU, Hyderabad School of economics, Centre for Development Studies. Don't go for them. They are research oriented.

2nd type- Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi School of Economics, Madras School of Economics. They are MBA-type. Placement/Corporate oriented. Plus, there will be a lot of maths in their curriculum. Go for these institutes. There are quite a few engineers in these colleges pursuing masters in eco. (I did my grad in eco from DU and I have my friends here)
    They admit through entrances. If starting from scratch, you might need around a year. Maths will be your saviour and you will at an advantage even compared to eco graduates, especially in ISI entrance.
    You can even go for higher studies in some foreign univ, if you want to become a hardcore economist.
    P.S- I know a few engineers shifting base to eco. But, the same cycle of placements, corporate jobs and monotous life ensues. So, decide well.
    ·
  • abhi44 said:

There are some really good colleges for pursuing masters in economics.
    1st type- JNU, Hyderabad School of economics, Centre for Development Studies. Don't go for them. They are research oriented.

2nd type- Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi School of Economics, Madras School of Economics. They are MBA-type. Placement/Corporate oriented. Plus, there will be a lot of maths in their curriculum. Go for these institutes. There are quite a few engineers in these colleges pursuing masters in eco. (I did my grad in eco from DU and I have my friends here)
    They admit through entrances. If starting from scratch, you might need around a year. Maths will be your saviour and you will at an advantage even compared to eco graduates, especially in ISI entrance.
    You can even go for higher studies in some foreign univ, if you want to become a hardcore economist.
    P.S- I know a few engineers shifting base to eco. But, the same cycle of placements, corporate jobs and monotous life ensues. So, decide well.

Which exam bro?
    One burger a day, keeps fitness away.
    ·
  • Burger said:

abhi44 said:

Which exam bro?
    hellos
    i m also n engineer who <3 economics
    do these 2nd typ of institutes provide any part tym PG/GRAD in eco ? like weekend typs
    He is out there holding your hand...
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    Bro, I had this fascination of Economics and Sociology some 3 years back when I started reading Hindu and Indian Express regularly.

As a well-wisher, I wud only suggest that don't fall into this trap. Engineers are more prone to this seduction of humanities. And I can tell that u r one.

Just read that much which will help u crack CSE.
    Rest is up to u.
    CSM 2015 | CSE Interview 2016*
    ·
  • Burger said:

abhi44 said:

Which exam bro?
    @Burger they conduct their own entrances in the month of april/may/june. You should check their website from jan/feb.
    I somehow agree with @mayurasharman , it's kind of trap. You expect to pursure economics so that you can be involved with framing govt policies, research and analysis.
    Many of my seniors are working for the national health surveys and population surveys, and they are paid peanuts and they spend all of their time collecting data in villages and feeding them in excel sheets.
    As for the think tanks, they conduct better projects. But career wise, think tanks are not at all good with salaries and career progression, unless you are from LSE or Ivy League and you head such think tanks.
    And the amount of effort you will have to put to do really well in economics, CSE requires lesser effort.
    ·
  • peace said:

Burger said:

abhi44 said:

Which exam bro?
    hellos
    i m also n engineer who <3 economics
    do these 2nd typ of institutes provide any part tym PG/GRAD in eco ? like weekend typs</p>
    @peace you can check their website for the courses they provide. Also, Gokhale institute of economics and politics, Pune.
    ·
  • website pe to regular hi hai saw for DCE :/
    karna hai to kisi ache insti se hi karna hai
    ·
  • @abhi44 u r an economist grad? optional?
    ·
  • Thank you for the detailed reply @abhi44.I am not that bad in Engineering math but I would need to put a lot of efffort to bring myself upto speed.

@mayurasharman
    Thanks , I agree, initial attraction for the subject and desire to frame policies does affect the decision.

One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • Better try actuarial exam!!! @burger anyone who is preparing for CA can tell you in details!!!!
    ·
  • peace said:

@abhi44 u r an economist grad? optional?

Yes, I did my graduation in eco. Switched over to law. Law optional.
    ·
  • One question of mine, though not fully related to the Title of this thread.

Irrespective of the Economics background or not, Economics and Finance mein zyadatar CSE aspirants ko command hoti hai... Aisa Kyon?
    ·
  • @Ivan_TheTerrible
    It's not necessary that they do have command. Most of the current developments are revolving around issues of economics . So it becomes necessity. Overall the economics is one of he easiest optional in CSE as its quite non mathematical . And it is quite mathematical , if u want to pursue a career as an economist and want to opted for this course from a reputed institution .
    ·
  • @Ivan_TheTerrible
    It's not necessary that they do have command. Most of the current developments are revolving around issues of economics . So it becomes necessity. Overall the economics is one of he easiest optional in CSE as its quite non mathematical . And it is quite mathematical , if u want to pursue a career as an economist and want to opted for this course from a reputed institution .

Bhai mera Economics optional nahi hai.

Par is saal CSM 2016 ka Economics ka paper 1 bahut tough tha, kafi kuch questions Out of the syllabus the ( aisa un logon ne bataya, jinka Optional Economics hai)

·
  • One question of mine, though not fully related to the Title of this thread.

Irrespective of the Economics background or not, Economics and Finance mein zyadatar CSE aspirants ko command hoti hai... Aisa Kyon?

Economics is surely a vey tough subject. Same goes for economics optional in CSE. Maybe easy compared to other years, but eco is really tough compared to other subjects.

Jahan tak economics and finance in GS is concerned, it is more of general studies and everyday news stuff type. It is interesting and easy to grasp. Eco in GS is nowhere related to the core economics taught in graduation or masters, maybe just a bit.
    ·
  • @ Ivan_TheTerrible
    Yes . There were fourty marks questions that seems to be out of the syllabus or just touches the periphery of the syllabus . But that rests with every optional , even sociology to the least . The toughest paper of economics was in 2013 in quite recent times .
    @ abhi44 : completely agree that core economics forms very little or not at all related to core economics. But economics is not tough as its only rests with interest of the person concerned . I feels rather humanities are more tough . May be easy to grasp , but marking is highly subjective . And the contrary is true for economics . And at the end of the day only markings matter irrespective of whether you have fully understood the subject or not .
    ·
  • by changing facebook info
    ·
  • Bro, I had this fascination of Economics and Sociology some 3 years back when I started reading Hindu and Indian Express regularly.

As a well-wisher, I wud only suggest that don't fall into this trap. Engineers are more prone to this seduction of humanities. And I can tell that u r one.

Just read that much which will help u crack CSE.
    Rest is up to u.

Completely agree...mujhe bhi kuch months SE keeda laga hua hai Eco me masters krne ka...aise thoughts ko jaldi SE jaldi system SE bahar krna hi better h !!

·
  • edited December 2016
    You can opt for Fellow Programme in Management specializing in economics from one of the IIMs. A CAT/GATE/GRE/GMAT score is required to apply. IIM B conducts its own entrance exam.Moreover, engineers do not need a masters degree to apply for this programme.

Good stipend which can go upto 40k a month and placements are no problem. Only con is the time required to complete the degree.
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    ^^
    This is the resident PhD programme that u r suggesting !! A booking for 3-4 years of drudgery. Get real bro!

(IIMs call PhD as Fellow Programme)
    CSM 2015 | CSE Interview 2016*
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google