ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

[Prelims 2017] How to ace?

edited December 2016 in Preparation FAQs
Hello, respected members here.

I am making this thread to get inputs from experienced people who have qualified prelims in last two attempts.

Paper pattern has changed a lot after 2014, thanks to anti csat lobby and has become very dynamic with time. I have qualified prelims once but in last two attempts I have seen well-prepared people failing in prelims either by a margin or by 2-3 simple but yet 'controversial' questions. Also, I have seen few who are not serious players but does go through it and some even don't appear in mains stage(one of my school senior did this and I am sure through what I have heard that there are many). I am not bothered about this but the issue around it which is:

What is actually making Prelims so tough these years? What does actually commission is demanding from aspirants? What should be the strategy according to it? How should one review test series performance? How to improve accuracy? How to deal with controversial statement questions? How should one prepare notes for static subjects and current affairs? There are some persons here who score above 130 in test series, can you please sir/madam, share how we can improve our performance? How should revision be done?

Apart from this, people who have failed prelims, please participate and tell what goes wrong in prelims? Which things one should avoid saving oneself from getting failed?
·

Comments

• edited December 2016
    I am tagging few well experienced seasonal aspirants, forgive me if I bothered you like this but please do reply to help me and others :) :

@DrKingSchultz @Kek @anjus @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh @IWRA @bedapar @andy133 @Pagalmadmax @Neyawn @pizza @Geheimnisse @kaguya @BombayPirate and @GentleGiant6
    ·
  • there was one thread made for the same purpose after prelims results.pls check it. B) people have contributed a lot in it.
    In Love With My Life Claudia Sampedro !
    ·
  • there was one thread made for the same purpose after prelims results.pls check it. B) people have contributed a lot in it.

Thank you sir for replying. I checked in search box before making this, what I found was this:

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/20317/upsc-prelims-2016-postmortem-dealing-with-failure-takeaways-for-future-guidance-for-others

It's of no use that's why I made a new one and tried to improve it. Please sir, help me :)
    ·
  • bhai this is not the thread i m talking about.there was one thread on how to score high in replims,dont remebr the exact name,i tried seacrhing for it abhi but couldnt find.hope @DrKingSchultz can help in sharing the link.else i will share what i did when come back from my village.wahan network issue rahta hai.
    ·
  • Prelims : 2/2. Mains : 0/2. 24 years. "Thats how you devour a whale ; One bite at a time"
    ·
  • Only thing I have to say is, do not judge UPSC based on the previous year's papers...

Ye UPSC ki bahut puraani aadat hai jiske kaaran aspirants ki har strategy, har techniques buri tarah Kai baar Fail ho jaati hai.

Do try to prepare everything... I know it is easier said than done , but it is NOT necessary ki agar pichle 2 saal se Current affairs aa rahe ho Prelims mein, toh 2017 mein bhi wahi sab aaye.

P.S. --- Ignore my comment.
    ·
  • Only thing I have to say is, do not judge UPSC based on the previous year's papers...

Ye UPSC ki bahut puraani aadat hai jiske kaaran aspirants ki har strategy, har techniques buri tarah Kai baar Fail ho jaati hai.

Do try to prepare everything... I know it is easier said than done , but it is NOT necessary ki agar pichle 2 saal se Current affairs aa rahe ho Prelims mein, toh 2017 mein bhi wahi sab aaye.

is baar pre hua tha tmhara?
    ·
  • freeman said:

Only thing I have to say is, do not judge UPSC based on the previous year's papers...

:/ :/ Does it really matter?
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    I am the last person you should be asking for help.I am one of those many candidates who pull out of the race in the last week taki " attempt bachega".

That being said , I have keenly followed some people who make sense and drawn the following conclusions for Pre.

Revision is key.

You have to do the dirty work.Mugging up trivial facts even though you understand concepts and think that is enough.

Tests , tests and more tests.Not online , offline ones in a timed manner.

60-40 emphasis on CA.Making your own notes for CA.And using coaching notes not as core material but as a supplementary source.

Basic books need to be revised endlessly.Like to the brink of madness ( if you havent been a good student in school)

Never expect anything.Expectations limit your performance .Your brain starts to think it is acheiving something when it really isnt.Imagine success rather than expecting to win.

Work mechanically like a robot with a passion for knowing India as your lubricating oil.

Study all topics evenly.Dont have favourites.You may like Polity a lot but it wont like you back.Treat subjects as minions rather than masters.

Read with an open mind, making sure you dont miss out on fringe cases.UPSC paper setters thrive in the detail.Read with a discriminating view.Read ,break up , reconstruct and read again.Takes time but its worth the effort.

Well thats about it.Hope you do well.

One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • edited December 2016

freeman said:

Only thing I have to say is, do not judge UPSC based on the previous year's papers...

yes cz it seems u r preaching the same lesson that you urself learnt after this prelims. :D
    ·
  • freeman said:

freeman said:

yes cz it seems u r preaching the same lesson that you urself learnt after this prelims. :D
    Okay bhai.
    ·
  • freeman said:

freeman said:

aise to usne diya hai mains,par agar nahi bhi diya hota to advice dene me koi harz nahi hai.aksar jo log nakamyab hote hain sahi advice dete hain aur kamyab log bhatkane ki koshish karte hain. B)
    ·
  • freeman said:

freeman said:

@freeman , FYI Ivan bhai consistently scores 130-140+ in GS.
    And his comment is legit, and absolutely correct.
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: (?)
    Literature of English Language.
    Dentist, bounty hunter, aspiring diplomat. Opinionated.
    ·
  • freeman said:

freeman said:

aise to usne diya hai mains,par agar nahi bhi diya hota to advice dene me koi harz nahi hai.aksar jo log nakamyab hote hain sahi advice dete hain aur kamyab log bhatkane ki koshish karte hain. B)

freeman said:

freeman said:

@freeman , FYI Ivan bhai consistently scores 130-140+ in GS.
    And his comment is legit, and absolutely correct.
    arey bhai..y r u speaking on his behalf..he could have simply replied in 'yes' when I asked whether he qualified prelims this year..par nahi...logo ko bhav khane ka mauka chahiye bas. " does it really matter' jaisa typical and carcass comment dalne se achha hai clearly bolo 'yes'.
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    @freeman Ok bhai..

I am sorry...

Now we should end this topic here.
    ·
  • @freeman Ok bhai..

I am sorry...

Now we should end this topic here.

i had already stopped but someone started it again.
    ·
  • The most eligible guide for prelims is @DrKingSchultz
    ·
  • If you belong to general category, you have to do all the dirty work. Memorising static as well as factual current affairs.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google