Click Here to Join the Official Telegram Channel of ForumIAS for Quick Updates, Downloads  and Free study material related to UPSC
Mitras IAS: - New Philosophy batch/ Epoche: Admissions starting from 25th March on First cum first served basis. Limited seats. HurryFor further Details Please Call us:01145505509/ 8826469839
Interview Assistance Program by ForumIAS

Congratulations on reaching the last leg of the Civil Services Examination. We would want you to clear this too. We are working on an Interview Assistance Program. Read here or leave your details by filling this form. Note : Since we have a limited handling capacity, things will happen on First Come First Serve Basis.

Changing Optional from history to maths: is it feasible?

2016 was my 4th attempt, 4th mains. Good with GS. Concerned about history optional . Since last three mains couldn't score beyond 180 in history optional. This attempt 2016 also was fine, but unhappy with answer writing in history optional after seeing answers written by others here, on forum ias. Optional is scoring and marks matter the most in securing AIR then knowledge. Feels like history is vast , hard to revise even after 4th attempt and answer writing tough since needs a lot of data. So thinking of switching to maths. Cauz am an engineer, was good at maths then, it's scoring as candidates get 300 which is nearly impossible for hiatory and confident of doing it without getting bored.
Concerns:
1. Should I just focus more on answer writing of history and improve it further thus saving time for other exams like bank po , state services etc
2. Even if I switched to maths I have to start from scratch since it's been more then 5 years after engineering, will i be able to complete syllabus and most importantly revise it before mains of 2017?
3. I won't be taking coaching as I live in Pune and it isn't available here, so should I take maths as optional if at all?
4. Concern of optional getting scrapped soon
5. Syllabus of maths, some say it's vast . So it doesn't solve my problem of last day revision which I think is very important
6. I feel like am getting grip over history but it needs lots of practice and hard work especially with such an amount of data and debates and maths is attractive due to its scoring advantage.
Have become "Marks"ist ,so this confusion of maths over history. Also from this i guess you guys will find that I am naive in expressing my thoughts clearly. Which is a big deal in history , unlike in maths. So PLEASE HELP. Thank you
·

Comments

• Dude, though i can write at length over maths preparation and strategy, but not in mood. My sincere advise to you is -
    1. If you switching to maths, than dont appear in next cse. Appear again only after dedicating 2 years of solid preparation to maths
    2. Dont prepare maths in isolation

Difficulty level of maths is going up every year. This year was the scariest in the decade.
    This was my 2nd mains and i am still expecting only around 270, after 3 years of preparation, and i know i m really good at maths.
    However if preparation is good, one can always score 240-250, even in a tuff paper
    Optional Mathematics
    ·
  • hi bro,

It all depends on how interesting maths appears to you. Though i,m not from a maths background but had shown the syllabus to a good friend of mine who is PhD physics and i consider him very good in maths. He told me that he can teach this syllabus up to a good standard in 18 months and nothing less. And believe me he is very good at teaching too.
    So my advise would be that you think before you leap.
    And, this is just an opinion, regular answer writing will improve your History scores if you decide to retain the optional.

Good luck.
    ·
  • Thanks @mp_ias and @zidaan for the advice . If maths would take so much time I will retain History. I guess I need to practice more . Thanks again guys.
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    You wil get bored studying maths..
    God has been generous. Now is my turn to prove he wasn't wrong
    #myquote.

hindi literature optional. PREPARING NOTES FOR HINDI and would like to see notes of others.interested aspirants can contact here or @ daanveerakarna@gmail.com
    ·
  • just retain history man... why do u want to waste ur next 2 attempts on experimenting with maths!!!
    ·
  • Joker01 said:

2016 was my 4th attempt, 4th mains. Good with GS. Concerned about history optional . Since last three mains couldn't score beyond 180 in history optional. This attempt 2016 also was fine, but unhappy with answer writing in history optional after seeing answers written by others here, on forum ias. Optional is scoring and marks matter the most in securing AIR then knowledge. Feels like history is vast , hard to revise even after 4th attempt and answer writing tough since needs a lot of data. So thinking of switching to maths. Cauz am an engineer, was good at maths then, it's scoring as candidates get 300 which is nearly impossible for hiatory and confident of doing it without getting bored.
    Concerns:
    1. Should I just focus more on answer writing of history and improve it further thus saving time for other exams like bank po , state services etc
    2. Even if I switched to maths I have to start from scratch since it's been more then 5 years after engineering, will i be able to complete syllabus and most importantly revise it before mains of 2017?
    3. I won't be taking coaching as I live in Pune and it isn't available here, so should I take maths as optional if at all?
    4. Concern of optional getting scrapped soon
    5. Syllabus of maths, some say it's vast . So it doesn't solve my problem of last day revision which I think is very important
    6. I feel like am getting grip over history but it needs lots of practice and hard work especially with such an amount of data and debates and maths is attractive due to its scoring advantage.
    Have become "Marks"ist ,so this confusion of maths over history. Also from this i guess you guys will find that I am naive in expressing my thoughts clearly. Which is a big deal in history , unlike in maths. So PLEASE HELP. Thank you

bhai,
    yaar Maths ke kiddhe nahi toh sahi main sabhi optional ko pershaan kar rakha
    every guy attempting maths ends 280+ screws up other Social Sciences optional
    :(
    New year resolution 2017: keep away from forum
    ·
  • zidaan said:

hi bro,

It all depends on how interesting maths appears to you. Though i,m not from a maths background but had shown the syllabus to a good friend of mine who is PhD physics and i consider him very good in maths. He told me that he can teach this syllabus up to a good standard in 18 months and nothing less. And believe me he is very good at teaching too.
    And, this is just an opinion, regular answer writing will improve your History scores if you decide to retain the optional.

Good luck.

yaar bache ek attempt main syllabus khatam karke select ho jate hain yeh 18-24 month walla plan doesnt make sense
    New year resolution 2017: keep away from forum
    ·
  • zidaan said:

hi bro,

Good luck.

You guys are scaring me. 18 months sounds like too much. I have been doing maths since after the mains has finished and i don't think it can take more than 8 months to complete it (i am already done with linear programming and have started with linear algebra).

@Joker01 : proofs are boring, and i believe this year paper-2 was filled with proofs and theorems. I, too, am switching from geography to maths for the same reason. You can inbox me if you feel like sharing your thoughts with me. I know we have little time on hand, but with good strategy i think we might just make it work!

P.S. : i, too, am driven by "marks-ist" considerations.
    Sometimes a little bit of darkness is what we need to shine. You are a diamond in this coal mine. you can dazzle the world, trust me! All you need is a little patience. This too shall pass.
    ·
  • zidaan said:

hi bro,

Good luck.

You guys are scaring me. 18 months sounds like too much. I have been doing maths since after the mains has finished and i don't think it can take more than 8 months to complete it (i am already done with linear programming and have started with linear algebra).

@Joker01 : proofs are boring, and i believe this year paper-2 was filled with proofs and theorems. I, too, am switching from geography to maths for the same reason. You can inbox me if you feel like sharing your thoughts with me. I know we have little time on hand, but with good strategy i think we might just make it work!

Syallbus har exam ka 6 ya 7 months ka hi hota hai lekin syllabus khatam karne se marks ka koi connection nahi hai maths mein log 6 se 8 months mein syllabus zarur khatam ar dete hai lekin 270 plus score ke liye kafi practice chaiye jo 2- 3 saal lag jata hai , maths ke questions ki koi limit nahi hai, aur difficulty ki bhi agar koi ek optional ho jisme mein sabse zada difficult paper banaya ja sakta hai wo maths hi hoga,

BOMB hamesa Chota hi dikta hai lekin beta jab fat tha hai to ache acho ki fad deta hai. Is bramhm mein koi na rahe ki syllabus ek topic ka kya khatam kar diya mano himalya parbhat uta liye, Dekte rehna agle saal maths kya rang dikhta hai, agar maths apni aukat par agaya to 150 chuna bhi mushkil hai 300 ka to bhul jao

Jaan Tere Naam

·
  • Stay with history.Write a lot.Read how to study history by Macmillan and EH Carr what is history for better perspective
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • zidaan said:

hi bro,

Good luck.

Syallbus har exam ka 6 ya 7 months ka hi hota hai lekin syllabus khatam karne se marks ka koi connection nahi hai maths mein log 6 se 8 months mein syllabus zarur khatam ar dete hai lekin 270 plus score ke liye kafi practice chaiye jo 2- 3 saal lag jata hai , maths ke questions ki koi limit nahi hai, aur difficulty ki bhi agar koi ek optional ho jisme mein sabse zada difficult paper banaya ja sakta hai wo maths hi hoga,

BOMB hamesa Chota hi dikta hai lekin beta jab fat tha hai to ache acho ki fad deta hai. Is bramhm mein koi na rahe ki syllabus ek topic ka kya khatam kar diya mano himalya parbhat uta liye, Dekte rehna agle saal maths kya rang dikhta hai, agar maths apni aukat par agaya to 150 chuna bhi mushkil hai 300 ka to bhul jao
    Agree.
    Same goes with engg. Optionals.
    Enormous amount of practice is needed, which is easier said than done.
    Due to lack of practice I couldn't finish optional papers. :neutral:
    ·
  • Thanks for the comments guys. Realised that it would be better for me to focus on history only. Maths would take lot of time and I don't want to miss opportunity of upsc over this issue. Will study harder and practice lots of questions of history. Plus it will give me time to prepare for other exams too. Thank you all again.
    ·
  • zidaan said:

hi bro,

Good luck.

@Meri_Maut_Ka_Tamasha, @Joker01 :

U = Universal set
    M = set of people who like maths
    ~M = Set of people who don't like maths
    MO = Set of people who have maths as an optional in UPSC.
    I = an element of the set M; I = an element of the set MO as well now
    U = an element of set M;

Observations :
    n(~M) >> n(M)
    MO is a subset of M

Now, we have a decision problem at hand : Should 'U' become an element of the set MO?

Now, in this simplistic model of our Universe, the opinion of people in the set ~M does not count; that should not be a relevant decision parameter.
    the opinion of people who belong to the set M - MO, can only be one-sided since they chose not to belong to M 'intersection' MO.
    as 'M -MO' intersection MO = null set, to discover the properties of set MO, which are not known beforehand, one needs to observe the behaviour or hear the testimony of a member of the set MO at 't = t'.

Thus, for the purpose of making an informed choice, our decision-making process has to winnow out the testimony and attitude of the "elements" belonging to the set 'U - MO'. Then, assign a boolean value to whether 'U is an element of MO'.

Best of luck.
    Sometimes a little bit of darkness is what we need to shine. You are a diamond in this coal mine. you can dazzle the world, trust me! All you need is a little patience. This too shall pass.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google