ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

What are the lessons learnt / key takeaway from mains 2016

Respected members who have attempted the mains, kindly provide your valuable suggestions and experiences for freshers and aspirants of 2017.
Time has to change, if it doesn't: it won't be considered time anymore....
·

Comments

• Wonderful thread.I was just about to make this !
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • 1.Don't depend on any coaching institute.
    2.Read News Paper
    3.Form your own opinion
    4.Balance Static+Dynamic topics ie. give equal focus to both whatever be the market trend is don't neglect one at the expense of other.
    5.Do writing practice on daily basis.
    ·
  • need to complete whole syllabus n revise once basic portions well before mains so that whn you r required to use ur subconscious mind to bring out particularity in a generalistic questn u can do some qualified scribbling and nit haywire suggestn. rest wht hv been the take away will be revealed aftr seeing marks.
    ·
  • i would give just one advice to my friends:-
    Please never assume things and neVer ever blindly believe what toppers say.Dont believe that static wont come yaa fir only current come. It badly hurts when You assume things or go by trend.
    ·
  • sunny2009 said:

i would give just one advice to my friends:-
    Please never assume things and neVer ever blindly believe what toppers say.Dont believe that static wont come yaa fir only current come. It badly hurts when You assume things or go by trend.

+1
    ·
  • Few points:

1. Though people are saying that Paper was more static and vague and hence there is no "predictability" and hence no fix way to approach GS, I would say you still need to read extensively. Current affairs will form a major part of your preparation at any day. For example, the 69th CAA question in GS-2, You gotta mention Article-239AA and all, but still it was derived from a current issue. Hence:
    - Keep an eye on CAs
    - Link it up with static portion.

2. It seems that government also wants candidates who are aware of "governement priorites and policies and major issues in the country" and also want on-spot thinking for handling those issues.

Cultivate that habit. Again more reading and better analyzability needed. It won't come in a "fluke reading".
    I am not quiet, I am plotting.
    ·
  • Icemaiden said:

sunny2009 said:

i would give just one advice to my friends:-

+1
    Reminded me what @andy133 used to say..
    Time has to change, if it doesn't: it won't be considered time anymore....
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    Just the first mains, so feel shy to write anything here. :tongue:
    But still i would like to share whatever little i experienced.

1. When concepts are understood clearly, one can automatically remember them in the exam even if they have not read anything about it in the last 30 days before exam. Spend a lot of time on understanding and grasping.

2. Dont make long notes, Write 5 to 10 keywords for every topic. You can expand those keywords in the exam. Helps a lot in revising quickly, mains exam schedule is so tight.

3. Try watching related videos before the exam, helps to remember things easily. Images form sharp memory.

4. Exam week is highly stressful, patience is the key. There are ups and downs, one needs to be calm and take one question at a time.

5. Read instructions carefully. Sets the tone to be attentive during the exam.

6. Dont lose sleep over current affairs. Hindu or Vision or insights or anything similar is more than enough. Spend a lot of time on theory, its the only thing that can make u answer any question.

7. Prelims is all about facts and elimination. Mains is all about your knowledge and analytical abilities.

Will add more in the coming days. abhi ke liye bas itna hi. dhanyawad. :tongue:

Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • 1. Coachings topper bakar can only be of some guiding value its only you who is going to write so be prepared according to capabilities.
    2. News paper is very important.
    3. Writing practice must be there atleast after prelims.
    4. Dont be in doubt after pre that time is most important.
    5. Must read some auxilialy books which are famous.
    ·
  • Why you are giving this examination. My answer is i want to serve my country better, there are many problems out there which i think i can solve upto a large extent.

Now as a Bureaucrat your quality depends on your knowledge and attitudes. Try to learn things from this perspective. Understand what are the problems we are facing and how can we become better.

I have remembered may law commission reports by number - 170 th on electoral reforms. But i was not able to write it down, i read this years delhi air pollutions connection with air mass but i failed to write it down.so you can only write this which you have internalized.

Upsc is determined to promote genuine and thinking citizen so try to become responsible citizen who is interested in giving suggestions at mygov.in or complain at cpgrams.
    Sorry of breaching word limits.
    ·
  • 1. You are students while writing mains. So, think like a student and answer in simple words.
    2. There is nothing more important than studying static content. This craze over CA should end. The first question of GS2 unsettled even the experienced people. Except law and Pub ad guys not many knew what is 69th amendment. Everyone studied Mains 365 and analysed the problems with Delhi govt issue but very few studied the causal aspect of the issue which is the 69th amendment.
    3. Yojana is a must. Not because this year many questions were asked but it gives you an excellent perspective,
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    1. Current affairs should always be the first priority no matter if it has not been definitely asked this time. Because even your gapp should be a learned gapp.However, for p2 static becomes very imp. too
    2. I always have said this,if possible do not start cramming past year papers :| . They give u a mental block that this time also the paper would be on similar lines which seldom is.
    3. Every optional has its day. Do not change your optional just because a difficult paper came in mains. If you have a good grasp over it, stick to it.
    4. Every part has to be addressed. If u. If possible address every part using different headings ...that would be great.
    5. Take it lightly. Do not renounce the world. You would do much better than you think you can.
    I have never cleared mains despite appearing thrice so maybe i am not entitled to give such gyaan. Also, who knows if i would clear this tim or not but i am happy with whatever i have done.
    ·
  • Respected members who have attempted the mains, kindly provide your valuable suggestions and experiences for freshers and aspirants of 2017.

Thanks for this thread :)
    You raise me up, to more than I can be.…
    ·
  • 1.Right Temperament
    2.Strategy to tackle all sort of questions whether difficult ,easy ,analytical factual should be priorly devised before going to exam hall
    3.Writing practice and time management
    4.linking static question with current like air mass with delhi pollution jan dhan with current Demonetisation and past SHG-bank linkage programme n so on
    5.Eat well,Sleep well,Have trust in urself .
    Sab Timing Ka Khel Hai.
    ·
  • :# So much gyan nowadays..! I hope new comers don't get frustrated reading all this..!
    Prelims : 2/2. Mains : 0/2. 24 years. "Thats how you devour a whale ; One bite at a time"
    ·
  • Because of lack of practice in civil engineering, I couldn't finish both papers. My accuracy is very high incase of numericals but speed is also needed.

People say "kitna bhi padhlo, gs m toh maan ki baat hi nikalti hai." This happens when you haven't revised multiple times.

Lets see. Hoping for best and will prepare for worst. :)
    ·
  • Having awesome friends helps. During these four stressful months, I was blessed with amazing forum friends ( @longstockingpipi @Geheimnisse @bhamboo @Gajendra123 and others). who helped me immensely.
    Hopefully we will all make it through. :)
    ·
  • Kek said:

:# So much gyan nowadays..! I hope new comers don't get frustrated reading all this..!

@Kek ,How did mains went?
    Sab Timing Ka Khel Hai.
    ·
  • hope16 said:

Because of lack of practice in civil engineering, I couldn't finish both papers. My accuracy is very high incase of numericals but speed is also needed.

People say "kitna bhi padhlo, gs m toh maan ki baat hi nikalti hai." This happens when you haven't revised multiple times.

Lets see. Hoping for best and will prepare for worst. :)

Most important aspect.You should recall what u hv studied nahi toh pura gud gobar ho jayega.
    Sab Timing Ka Khel Hai.
    ·
  • Syllabus me jo diya hai sab padho...basic understanding banao n link kro current se...current bhi bohot relevant tha isbar
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google