Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes for 2018 : Attend three days of Classes at FourmIAS Offline Center in New Delhi.
Learn how to make own notes from newspaper and alayze issues for CSE.

Click here to : (1) Register, (2) Download Broucher (3) Click here to enroll ONLINE | OFFLINE Click
Course commences on 28th October at 5PM

Difficulty level of maths paper

Guys plz share ur experience as to how u found the maths papers. Meri to bahut gandi lag gayi.
RBI Grade B officer

Comments

• Bro.. paper 2, nowhere close to this in previous years papers that I have seen. I dont know if its only me, But paper 2 was way too difficult for me
    Madari
  • Bro.. paper 2, nowhere close to this in previous years papers that I have seen. I dont know if its only me, But paper 2 was way too difficult for me

Aye bhasky ppr 2 was like being manmohan singh..kuch nahi aata
  • despite putting more than 6 hour through out in last 2 year, i could not perform well, this optional ruined the career of this poor NITian, :'(
  • paper 2 was very difficult
  • Yeah indeed paper 2 was difficult may be this time there will be no scaling......pls share number of question attempted in each paper...
  • 310 ....did anyone felt that space provided was very less

No. The amount of space available was much more than I could write...
    RBI Grade B officer
  • paper 2 was probably most difficult in last decade.. paper 1 was somewhat better though

350-400 should be good attempt this time
  • edited December 2016
    Yes 2rs paper was difficults but I dont knew it is maths becos my optional is not maths .. hi
    Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh. Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh
  • Yes 2rs paper was difficults but I dont knew it is maths becos my optional is not maths .. hi

Kya bhai.... Tatkaal ticket milega kya ???
  • Mine too was disater...correct attempt only 250-260.... Aage rab raakha !!!

Plzz share bhai log... Correct attempt and logical attempt here... !!
  • I just dont know what to do. In 2014, i had pub ad optional. they butchered it. Then I changed it, prepared a new optional. now in 2016 they butchered maths. Just dont know what sins I have done.
    RBI Grade B officer
  • This was my 2nd mains with maths and this time even after workimg hard and devoting a lot of time.. Total attempt is 330 only.. Feeling depressed as i have screwed my GS papers too.. Feeling very depressed.. Thinking of quitting the preparation..

Only in that boundary value problem of P2.
  • plz suggest me whether the reference books given by nitish rank 8....is not sufficient?
  • farzi said:

310 ....did anyone felt that space provided was very less

i found less space to be less in paper 1.....had to do lot of steps in on rough space
  • pavnit said:

plz suggest me whether the reference books given by nitish rank 8....is not sufficient?

its more than sufficient
  • Contrary to what u people are thinking there will be surprise for math guys...chill don't loose hope...araam karo.upscale hoga..
  • farzi said:

310 ....did anyone felt that space provided was very less

i found less space to be less in paper 1.....had to do lot of steps in on rough space
    Haan woh to hai hi..rough to karna hi pada
  • pavnit said:

plz suggest me whether the reference books given by nitish rank 8....is not sufficient?

Considering the nature of question asked in P II this year NITISH K referred books are no longer sufficient. Need to do some smart work in Maths because UPSC is not asking routine questions anymore (P II especially).
  • Are people really able to master Fluid dynamics upto the level to attempt the kind of questions that came in 2015, 2016 Paper 2 ? I did prepared it decently this time but due to lack of revision time, became almost blank in fluid before the exam.
  • edited December 2016
    MS_DHONI said:

pavnit said:

Considering the nature of question asked in P II this year NITISH K referred books are no longer sufficient. Need to do some smart work in Maths because UPSC is not asking routine questions anymore (P II especially).
    I think the books are still sufficient, but one cannot ignore theorems now and cannot treat ANY topic as fringe topic. You have to prepare even Linear programming like a pro.
  • The truth is that Paper-2 got butchered. That will be seen in marks too. UPSC has made it clear that if you wants 300 plus then cover entire syllabus with special focus on graduation plus level. In entire paper 2 for all sub-parts they have mixed the topics with high depth of syllabus. As per my experience scaling does remains same irrespective of difficulty of question paper. It was our bad luck that this year paper-2 was difficult. We will see reduced level of marks in maths this year compared to 2014 and 2015.
  • nutron said:

The truth is that Paper-2 got butchered. That will be seen in marks too. UPSC has made it clear that if you wants 300 plus then cover entire syllabus with special focus on graduation plus level. In entire paper 2 for all sub-parts they have mixed the topics with high depth of syllabus. As per my experience scaling does remains same irrespective of difficulty of question paper. It was our bad luck that this year paper-2 was difficult. We will see reduced level of marks in maths this year compared to 2014 and 2015.

Any idea whether other Science subjects were of equal difficulty level this year ?
  • Does anyone know any good through book for covering Lagrangian and Hamiltonian portion of syllabus. I guess that will now have to covered from Physics point of view rather than simply 10 marks view.
  • MS_DHONI said:

pavnit said:

Were algebra and real questions tough ?( i mean not like previous year questions) Actually I was not well prepared for real and left algebra.
  • farzi said:

MS_DHONI said:

pavnit said:

Were algebra and real questions tough ?( i mean not like previous year questions) Actually I was not well prepared for real and left algebra.
    Yes, Algebra and Real were tough. But we could have attempted around 180-200 by carefully selecting questions and not leaving question. By mistake I was doing only 4 questions in PII but then I saw Que 8 which initially looked difficult but those were doable. I think even this year there would be people scoring 160+ individually in each paper.
  • @MS_DHONI, how have u done? how many marks have u attempted>
  • MS_DHONI said:

farzi said:

MS_DHONI said:

pavnit said:

Yes, Algebra and Real were tough. But we could have attempted around 180-200 by carefully selecting questions and not leaving question. By mistake I was doing only 4 questions in PII but then I saw Que 8 which initially looked difficult but those were doable. I think even this year there would be people scoring 160+ individually in each paper.
    Dhoni Sir, which questions did yu attempt in paper 2 ?
  • @MS_DHONI, how have u done? how many marks have u attempted>

@Achilles007 220+190. Paper I me Lagrange multiplier wala question select kiya and ho nahi paya.. Anyway last year 210 correct attempt par mere paper I mere 162 aaye the. Iss bar Paper II me easy question galat nahi hue aur tough wale toh kisi se bhi nahi hone wale the toh overall thik hi hua.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog