"I really don't think there is anything that is better structured and more interactive in regard to Mains than the ForumIAS Mains Guidance Program." - Mitali Sethi (IAS-2016, AIR-56)
MGP Schedule C - Admissions Open Now!
Click here to read more
*Limited Seats. First Come, First Serve basis only.
Mains 2017 : The Only Course you will need to Score 400+ in GS
Mains Foundation 2017 by Ravi R Chokkalingam – to cover GS Paper 2, Paper 3, Paper 1 (Social Issues), Ethics & Essay – with 4 Full Length Mock Tests.
Classes (Online | Offline) commence from 27th June for Mains Foundation, Mains Current Affairs, GS Paper III, Ethics & Essay

Call : 9555923039 for early bird discounts
MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening)-5:15PM - 7:15PM & 29th June (Morning)-11AM-1PM ; FREE SEMINAR ON 25TH JUNE, 5.15PM Subject To Availability Of Seats
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal(Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar(Rank-200, 2016) (3) Athar Aamir 1st booklet and 2nd booklet(Rank-2)
ForumIAS Community Meet 2017 on 25th June at 11 AM - You are invited

Dear Friends, ForumIAS Annual Community Meet will be held on June 25th at 11AM in Old Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi. The Chief Guest for the event will be Suharsh Bhagat, IAS Rank 5, CSE 2014. Come join us , and meet ForumIAS members who have secured ranks this year. Click here to register

length of notes

the length of my notes for prelims and mains is 40 pages per week. Would I able to revise this much before the exam? What's the usual length of notes?
·

Comments

• As the esteemed @longstockingpipi says, "Trim your notes every time you revise".

Not a note-maker, but it shouldn't exceed a page a day at max. At most two, for important topics
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    I'm the original one, with a capital "L" in the last name.
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    There is no fixed limit as length of notes depends on size of paper , handwriting , notation system and note making skills.

Some tips.

1.Use shorter phrases and emphasize on key words.
    2.If you write on A4 paper , divide it into two halves and make column notes.
    3.Use mind maps , flowcharts , diagrams etc.
    4.Instead of noting stuff down.Comprehend and write it in your own words as concisely as possible.
    5.If you can't shorten them , trim them to the point that they are keywords that activate memory of the topic.

Prepare notes for Pre and Mains separately.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • There is no fixed limit as length of notes depends on size of paper , handwriting , notation system and note making skills.

Some tips.

1.Use shorter phrases and emphasize on key words.
    2.If you write on A4 paper , divide it into two halves and make column notes.
    3.Use mind maps , flowcharts , diagrams etc.
    4.Instead of noting stuff down.Comprehend and write it in your own words as concisely as possible.
    5.If you can't shorten them , trim them to the point that they are keywords that activate memory of the topic.

Prepare notes for Pre and Mains separately.

+1
    You talk when u cease to be at peace with your mind
    ·
  • Thank you all. Appreciate it.
    ·
  • This query is related to newspapaer notes. .Firstly for purpose of prelims and mains(both gs and my optional subject, ,i..e. law), i find it extremely difficult to retain information from vision ias booklets or any tuition material for that matter. So, i prefer to prepare my own notes from newspaper. I only read the hindu and nothing else(no pib, no idsa, prs, etc.). nor do i read any magazine like yojana, etc.

1. But in the newspaper notes making, i find that it is too much time-consuming and i am not able to make short notes because when i google an issue, i tend to copy-paste many pros-cons of the same issue and hence, my notes become very long and hence, difficult/impossible to revise. I just dont realise when should i stop copy-pasting the pros-cons, i always tend to feel that 1-2 more points would be more beneficial. So, what would you advise for this problem of mine.

2. Moreover, i tend to frame my notes keeping in mind what all questions can be asked from a news, issue, ,etc. in prelims and mains exam and hence, it takes me minimum of 3-4 hours(everyday) to prepare notes of the newspaper.

I prepare my notes in a one-note page and hence, i make notes in form of question-answers of each issue. So, it sorts of act as an answer-writing practice for me also. But spending so much time everyday is not possible everyday due to my college studies, etc. So, is there some way in which i can shorten the number of hours which i spend on making notes of the newspaper.

3. Also, many(nearly all) toppers recommend vision ias monthly booklets to prepare current affairs. Can they really act as substitute for preparing notes of the newspaper everyday? In that case, could you please tell me how do we need to utilise the vision ias booklets for preparing current affairs. May be, i am not following the correct approach in reading them. Do we need to make notes from the vision ias booklets or do we need to read and revise them often as it is without making any notes from them?

4. Also, in continuation of the query related to preparing current affairs, could you please tell whether we need to prepare the issues like syrian crisis, US-Palestine type of issues which can be asked only in the interview stage(and not in the prelims and mains exam) throughout the year or do these issues need to be prepared only after the mains exam.

Also, do we need to read/prepare home-state related news throughout the year or do these need to be read/prepared only after the mains exam?

With warm regards
    @yoga123
    ·
  • edited April 9
    @jitendr Sir, please clarify the above query, if you get time.
    ·
  • For point 1. I will say only note the points which you think you found new and are important.In mains exam, the biggest challenge is anyways to finish an anwer in 8-9 minutes.ANd once holistically your preparation will be done, you will develop cross linkages and will find many points on your own.Even if you make huge notes, while revising remobe the points you don't find relevant or inherent .Remember that having short and concise notes and revising them multiple times is many times better than making huge notes and no proper revision

2. I think you can think of only 3 key aspects of any topic , a) Pros 2) Cons 3) Way forward with good suggestions . Most of the questions are answered if these three points are covered

3. I suggest make normal notes with knowledge content and then go through secure 2017 of insightsonindia and write 1-2 answers there and also read answers of others . Its less time consuming and more fruitful

4. VisionIas monthly is very useful as it prepares for mains also on all current based issues . Making notes or not depends on individual's style of study. I used to make small notes of all important points.but very concise. So, I think just do what suits you and what is more efficient for you

5. For issues like Syrian crisis etc , just follow what is in hindu everyday and in vision monthly. Such info helps in Essays but do not dwell in it too much once you are aware of the crux of it. No need for home-state news until it is a big issue (which would anyways be covered in Hindu,Vision etc)

Crux of all, finish static nicely and then focus on answer writing. Make a target of writing atleast 300 Answers in Total for GS .

This query is related to newspapaer notes. .Firstly for purpose of prelims and mains(both gs and my optional subject, ,i..e. law), i find it extremely difficult to retain information from vision ias booklets or any tuition material for that matter. So, i prefer to prepare my own notes from newspaper. I only read the hindu and nothing else(no pib, no idsa, prs, etc.). nor do i read any magazine like yojana, etc.

1. But in the newspaper notes making, i find that it is too much time-consuming and i am not able to make short notes because when i google an issue, i tend to copy-paste many pros-cons of the same issue and hence, my notes become very long and hence, difficult/impossible to revise. I just dont realise when should i stop copy-pasting the pros-cons, i always tend to feel that 1-2 more points would be more beneficial. So, what would you advise for this problem of mine.

2. Moreover, i tend to frame my notes keeping in mind what all questions can be asked from a news, issue, ,etc. in prelims and mains exam and hence, it takes me minimum of 3-4 hours(everyday) to prepare notes of the newspaper.

I prepare my notes in a one-note page and hence, i make notes in form of question-answers of each issue. So, it sorts of act as an answer-writing practice for me also. But spending so much time everyday is not possible everyday due to my college studies, etc. So, is there some way in which i can shorten the number of hours which i spend on making notes of the newspaper.

3. Also, many(nearly all) toppers recommend vision ias monthly booklets to prepare current affairs. Can they really act as substitute for preparing notes of the newspaper everyday? In that case, could you please tell me how do we need to utilise the vision ias booklets for preparing current affairs. May be, i am not following the correct approach in reading them. Do we need to make notes from the vision ias booklets or do we need to read and revise them often as it is without making any notes from them?

4. Also, in continuation of the query related to preparing current affairs, could you please tell whether we need to prepare the issues like syrian crisis, US-Palestine type of issues which can be asked only in the interview stage(and not in the prelims and mains exam) throughout the year or do these issues need to be prepared only after the mains exam.

Also, do we need to read/prepare home-state related news throughout the year or do these need to be read/prepared only after the mains exam?

With warm regards
    @yoga123

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google