Courses for CSE 2018 by ForumIAS
MGP 2018 - ( 40 Tests : 20 Half Length Tests + 20 Full Length Tests) - Beins 1st October | Prelims - 1st October | CGP 2018 - 25th September

Do Twitter trolls about SC judgement amount to Contempt of court?

Today twitter is trending with jokes about SC order on National anthem..
Especially this?
http://indianexpress.com/article/trending/trending-in-india/15-hilarious-reactions-to-scs-ruling-on-national-anthem-being-played-before-film-screenings-4403142/

And what are your views on this judgement? Judicial activism?
Its Not What You Did These Days That Matter!
It Is Final 100 Days Countdown That Matters!
·

Comments

• not judicial activism, it's more like judicial stupidity :/
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods
    ·
  • edited November 2016
    yes it is....thanks to a misplaced sense of "judicial supremacy"!
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·
  • they cant go after every person tweeting jokes can they?
    My views: dictating terms of patriotism to the citizens is a sign of country turning into a dictatorship and cinema hall is not the place to prove or *feel* patriotic. We go there for entertainment not desh bhakti. What's next? play it at dance bars , shaadis etc too?
    ·
  • I care a damn about misplaced notions of supremacy. I call a spade a spade. This is a ridiculous order. What next? Start every TV show with the national anthem? Patriotism isn't something that can be fostered by listening to the national anthem between commercials and the movie. I believe such a juxtaposition would not be very respectful to the anthem. It's a sombre thing. Playing it just before some silly actor performing lude slapstick comedy is something that I would strongly take umbrage to. It's my national anthem too and I don't like what this order is doing to it. There is dire need for judicial accountability in this country. This judgement just gives one more reason for it.
    Dead and departed general caste player. RIP.
    ·
  • I care a damn about misplaced notions of supremacy. I call a spade a spade. This is a ridiculous order. What next? Start every TV show with the national anthem? Patriotism isn't something that can be fostered by listening to the national anthem between commercials and the movie. I believe such a juxtaposition would not be very respectful to the anthem. It's a sombre thing. Playing it just before some silly actor performing lude slapstick comedy is something that I would strongly take umbrage to. It's my national anthem too and I don't like what this order is doing to it. There is dire need for judicial accountability in this country. This judgement just gives one more reason for it.

·
  • Can Patriotism be dictated?
    It will no longer give you goosebumps the way you get when the first strains of the anthem is heard in a stadium as your athlete steps up to accept her medal. It becomes a chore, an obligation, something to be rushed through before you can get to the main entertainment.

Just like ads that annoys us, similar will be the case for National Anthem
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods
    ·

Bring it on. Jail me. I care a damn. Courts and judges are not above national honour. I'll take it if that's the price to pay for upholding the respect for the national anthem.
    ·
  • bro jail main daaru nhi milegi :D @DepartedMisanthrope
    ·
  • bro jail main daaru nhi milegi :D @DepartedMisanthrope

I'm sorry. I take it all back. :'(
    ·
  • Contempt of Courts Act specifies that any action that scandalizes or tends to scandalizes or lowers or aims to lower the authority of the court falls is liable for criminal contempt charges.
    It also specifies that fair criticism of the judgement will not amount to contempt of court.

IMO, for the above tweets, I guess it could go either way for a few; most do not mention the judgement or anything. So no contempt. :/
    Imposing such conditions on day-to-day activities of the citizens is improper. Afaik, national honours act doesn't mention anything about imposition. SC went ultra-nationalistic here, I guess.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
    ·
  • Indian Constitution when commenced, made an exception to peoples' right to speech in form of anything said or done which amounts to contempt of court. This was done to preserve the trust of citizens in judiciary by presenting it as a body having little chance of aberrations in its act or conduct.

So, technically, yes, these things amounts to contempt of court.

But over a time, a society changes. It's people changes and if there is a continuous attempt to show any institution totally clean, there always breeds a suspicion and question over the legitimacy of a fact being continuously forced to believe. This happens when there is an attempt to avoid discussion on its conduct and appraisal of its judgements. After all, you cant keep citizen in a pseudo-belief for long that judiciary will always be right since ultimately it will be evaluated and defined by its acts and duties which it perform and not by suppressing voices.

However, there should always be an extent upto which it could be criticised and a suitable platform where a citizen can register it's views or grievances on a ruling or conduct of a judicial service in a decent way without hurting the integrity of the body.

This will help preserve the faith a common man keeps in this body as envisioned by the league of our constitution writers.
    GRAPHENE v 2.0....
    ·
  • Today some judge might think it appropriate to give this judgement. Tomorrow another bench might overturn this judgement. If the government errs one can go crying to the judges but of the judges err who do we go to. Between the judiciary and the government, I think it's just that the former is a lesser evil :)
    2013-Failed Pre by 7 marks
    2014-Failed Pre by 1 marks
    2015-Failed Mains by 25 marks
    2016-Failed Pre
    2017-Final Battle
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog