MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Motivational thread

Hello friends,
Civil services preparation as we all know is a journey which requires great mental strength, Perseverance and Hard work. Any one can be a hero and anyone can be a zero.This is the nature of our this beloved exam. So all the mighty and pious soul here lets....gather and motivate each other on this arduous journey by sharing quotes by great people, anecdotes, experience from their own life and anything u feel has motivational effect.........This thread might also help many...who..are suffering fro a sort of angst and meaninglessness in life due to consistent failure..... lets begin.
You talk when u cease to be at peace with your mind

Comments

• edited November 2016
    “Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!”
    ― Sylvester Stallone, Rocky Balboa
  • edited November 2016
    I want to share a story which i grew up listening....if u haven't heard it ....then u would like it for sure.....its about
    key to success. So story goes like this:
    Once a man, dejected and frustrated due to constant failure in life, went to socrates. He had heard a lot about his wisdom and that he had solution to almost every problems in life. He met socrates and told about his problem. Socrates said," I feel like many other you also want key to success." He added,"for this you should come in the morning near river bank where I go everyday to take bath.There I will tell you the best kept secret."
    Obeying Socrate's words, the man came near the river bank and saw Socrates taking bath in the river. Socrates asked him to come into river and stand near him. As the person went near socrates who was a person of strong built, grabbed him and placed his head inside the water. As the person was about to die , he released him.The person ran out of water and shouted," Instead of giving key to success, you tried to kill me.What kind of wise person you are?." Socrates shouted back,"while u were inside water ,what were you thinking". The man said ,"only about air and nothing else." Socrates smiled and said,"My friend, the day you will want success,the way u craved for air, Success will be yours.This is the key to success.And you have to experience it and this is why I did all this."

hopefully...you liked it friends..... :)
  • "The substance that one calls one’s mind is so authoritarian that when it awakens and emerges into the light of day, the greater part of the world within and outside us is obscured under its influence … When it sees, it does not properly hear; when it hears, it does not properly see; and when it thinks, it neither sees nor hears properly. It has the power to move all irrelevancies far away from the path of its set purpose."
    ~ Rabindranath Tagore

"Seek the wisdom that will untie your knot,
    Seek the path that demands your whole being
    Leave that which is not, but appears to be;
    Seek that which is, but is not apparent."
    ~Rumi
    You raise me up to more than I can be...
  • Humility is the true key to success. Successful people lose their way at times. They often embrace and overindulge from the fruits of success. Humility halts this arrogance and self-indulging trap. Humble people share the credit and wealth, remaining focused and hungry to continue the journey of success.
    - Rick Pitino

Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.
    - Swami Vivekananda

• कौरवों की भीड़ हो या पांडवों का नीड़ हो, जो लड़ सका है वो ही तो महान है |
  • Nice. Very nice initiative.
  • edited November 2016
    I want to share my experience with battling depression....which i won......its long read....but its always optional

"Depression is frozen anger" Sigmun Freud .....
    I graduated from IITKGP (Btech in chemical engineering) I always excelled academically and also secure aroun 1000 rank in IITJEE. I left job and came Delhi for prepartion and cleared pre in only two months preparation ..however i didnt clear mains. It was my second attempt when depression started to take me in its grasp. I didnt understand at that time what happened to me. I was becoming obsessed with trivial thoughts and they would never go out of my head. That year I cleared pre and again failed mains by 20 marks. I was not able to sit and study. Then even greater tragedy happened. My father was diagnosed with 4 stage lung cancer and doctor said he has only six months to live. we are family of 4: me, my younger brother ,father and mother. Father being the bread earner and brother only in 3rd year of graduation.I had to control of situation.I went back to Patna and I started teaching physics for iitjee. Soon I became top teacher their and everyone started to talk about me. However all this time I was in depression. Not a single went by without me waking up with heavy head and trivial thoughts from past. Sudden outburst of anger on few people and seldom fits of rage, followed by long hours of numbness. However one positive thing happened that after year of treatment my father's cancer become stable and fortunately it is stable till date. However My depression got worse after one year of teaching and I had to consult Psychiatrist. He gave some medication which helped me a lot. But depression can never be treated with medication. Its only keep u numb and cheerfull but deep inside problem persist. Only solution to depression is to tackle it through understanding of the problem while ur being supported by medication. I came back to deldi after 2 yrs to resume by civil preparation. Cleared pre and missed mains by 10 marks. This year I missed pre. But I am not sad. This is because I have succesfully tackled my depression and no more taking medication and able to leave in complete mental peace. I have tackled the depression through understanding the thought process that is going inside your head and devicing ways to stop them to emerge and interefere with you day to day life....
    Few learnings from this battle are following...
    ............................................................part 1.....................................

• ..................................Part 2...............................................
    1. As Albert Einstein once said surround yourself with goals rather than people. Always have goals in your mind which are well defined and ambitious. As an UPSC aspirant u must feel lucky that you have a goal of getting into top 100 in CSE. This automatically makes thing simple. Break this ultimate goal in sub goals.... and think about them.
    2. U can't stop ur mind from thinking. Intellectaul and imaginative people are gifted to do so...and don't make it you weakness....For me I try to think about only three things:- Goal, god and Self improvement. I don't believe in free will and firmly believe in karma and deterministic ways of existence. Things will happen in your life....u don't have to bother.......only certain things we can control..... so i think about goal...... i try to understand god through science and as well as old philosophical text...nothing soothes ur mind when u start understanding the intricacies of existence and the enigma called god....Stephen Hawkings even after so much disabilities still lives and says " I want to read mind of god". Quest is real nature of man and it is great driving force.....and self improvement in something will never do harm...try to develop new habits...stop bad habits...etc....just occupy urself with meaningful things
    3. Depression can be tackled at its onset. Depressive thought starts with a nuclei thought which is very tempting and our mind tries to buile over it with counter thought and it gets strong and emotions come into play.....u then find ursef in depression.... always identify the onset of depression and just have will power to realize the nuclei thought have no significance and just don't think over it. This is the way u can stop a mild depression to develop into full fledged cyclone....

I feel this might help and many more things I wanted to share....but i feel it shoul come from within..and self contemplation........if u can win depression....the big monster.....u can win anything..........

Enjoy.............................
  • inspiring
    all d best!
    i wud add 1 here
    dream is not one which comes in sleep, dream is d one which doesn mk u sleep!
    kalam sir he is d biggest motivation in my life..
    it will matter in the end...definitely..
  • I want to share a story which i grew up listening....if u haven't heard it ....then u would like it for sure.....its about
    Once a man, dejected and frustrated due to constant failure in life, went to socrates. He had heard a lot about his wisdom and that he had solution to almost every problems in life. He met socrates and told about his problem. Socrates said," I feel like many other you also want key to success." He added,"for this you should come in the morning near river bank where I go everyday to take bath.There I will tell you the best kept secret."
    Obeying Socrate's words, the man came near the river bank and saw Socrates taking bath in the river. Socrates asked him to come into river and stand near him. As the person went near socrates who was a person of strong built, grabbed him and placed his head inside the water. As the person was about to die , he released him.The person ran out of water and shouted," Instead of giving key to success, you tried to kill me.What kind of wise person you are?." Socrates shouted back,"while u were inside water ,what were you thinking". The man said ,"only about air and nothing else." Socrates smiled and said,"My friend, the day you will want success,the way u craved for air, Success will be yours.This is the key to success.And you have to experience it and this is why I did all this."

It might sound out of context but i heard the same story but instead of socrates the person was ramkrishna paramhansa nd he said u ll be able to reach god when u want god as bad as air when u r under water...

But doesnt matter who is the protagonist cz the story is motivating ☺ and good luck to u..i m sure u ll be able to tackle negative thoughts nd crack cse.
  • shi2812 said:

I want to share a story which i grew up listening....if u haven't heard it ....then u would like it for sure.....its about

It might sound out of context but i heard the same story but instead of socrates the person was ramkrishna paramhansa nd he said u ll be able to reach god when u want god as bad as air when u r under water...

But doesnt matter who is the protagonist cz the story is motivating ☺ and good luck to u..i m sure u ll be able to tackle negative thoughts nd crack cse.
    Thnks mate :)... U too
  • कौरवों की भीड़ हो या पांडवों का नीड़ हो, जो लड़ सका है वो ही तो महान है |

Krishna ki pukaar hai ye bhagwat ka saar hai ki yudh hi to veer ka pramaan hai.
    Used to be my anthem... B)
    London main barish bata ke nahi aati
  • edited November 2016
    merc_benz said:

कौरवों की भीड़ हो या पांडवों का नीड़ हो, जो लड़ सका है वो ही तो महान है |

Krishna ki pukaar hai ye bhagwat ka saar hai ki yudh hi to veer ka pramaan hai.
    Used to be my anthem... B)
    :)
  • edited November 2016
    This is how winners are made....inspiring speech.....

• Shoshin said:

:# This is how the previous link was supposed to be pasted.

Feel good song..... Gud way to start day :)
  • kashmir said:

inspiring
    all d best!
    i wud add 1 here
    dream is not one which comes in sleep, dream is d one which doesn mk u sleep!
    kalam sir he is d biggest motivation in my life..

Kalam is great motivating figure for me 2.... Thnks mate
  • edited November 2016
    If u hvnt listened to this song yet...then do listen.....motivating

• true
    images.jpg
    443 x 332 - 21K
  • Al Pacino at its best....
  • Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure.

-Rumi
    Dum Spiro Spero

-Rumi

+1
  • edited November 2016

Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure.

-Rumi

+1
    Dada, aap bht mature and experienced ho. Apki story read kiya mai. It was heart-touching. Bs padhai pe focus karo, motivation apne aap bana rahega..exam jarur niklega...in sb baton men thoda tym chala jata hai so try avoiding it after an extent... :)
    GRAPHENE v 2.0....
  • ..................................Part 2...............................................
    1. As Albert Einstein once said surround yourself with goals rather than people. Always have goals in your mind which are well defined and ambitious. As an UPSC aspirant u must feel lucky that you have a goal of getting into top 100 in CSE. This automatically makes thing simple. Break this ultimate goal in sub goals.... and think about them.
    2. U can't stop ur mind from thinking. Intellectaul and imaginative people are gifted to do so...and don't make it you weakness....For me I try to think about only three things:- Goal, god and Self improvement. I don't believe in free will and firmly believe in karma and deterministic ways of existence. Things will happen in your life....u don't have to bother.......only certain things we can control..... so i think about goal...... i try to understand god through science and as well as old philosophical text...nothing soothes ur mind when u start understanding the intricacies of existence and the enigma called god....Stephen Hawkings even after so much disabilities still lives and says " I want to read mind of god". Quest is real nature of man and it is great driving force.....and self improvement in something will never do harm...try to develop new habits...stop bad habits...etc....just occupy urself with meaningful things
    3. Depression can be tackled at its onset. Depressive thought starts with a nuclei thought which is very tempting and our mind tries to buile over it with counter thought and it gets strong and emotions come into play.....u then find ursef in depression.... always identify the onset of depression and just have will power to realize the nuclei thought have no significance and just don't think over it. This is the way u can stop a mild depression to develop into full fledged cyclone....

I feel this might help and many more things I wanted to share....but i feel it shoul come from within..and self contemplation........if u can win depression....the big monster.....u can win anything..........

very inspiring mate. Most imp thing is one should have a balanced mind.

-Rumi

+1
    Dada, aap bht mature and experienced ho. Apki story read kiya mai. It was heart-touching. Bs padhai pe focus karo, motivation apne aap bana rahega..exam jarur niklega...in sb baton men thoda tym chala jata hai so try avoiding it after an extent... :)
    Yaar... Thora bhut share krte hain....fb twitter sab deactivate kr diya...koi to jagah ho jahan...man ki baat ho sake.. :)
  • ravk said:

..................................Part 2...............................................

very inspiring mate. Most imp thing is one should have a balanced mind.
    True bro

-Rumi

+1
    Yaar... Thora bhut share krte hain....fb twitter sab deactivate kr diya...koi to jagah ho jahan...man ki baat ho sake.. :)
    Ye baat to h sir...but try to be in balance btw forum and studies,,,thats what I meant...baki to we are totally available for each other anytime.. :smile:
    GRAPHENE v 2.0....

-Rumi

+1
    Ye baat to h sir...but try to be in balance btw forum and studies,,,thats what I meant...baki to we are totally available for each other anytime.. :smile:
    Ya u ppl are awesome... As i see on other threads.... Will try to balance

-Rumi

+1
    Ya u ppl are awesome... As i see on other threads.... Will try to balance
    :)
    GRAPHENE v 2.0....
  • Dedicated to all aspirants......Seene main jalan by great Saharyar :)

• Listen to this..both refreshing nd motivating...:)

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog