The Only Test Series you will ever need to crack Prelims 2017
Join ForumIAS Prelims 2017 Test Series – 31 Tests to cover the full syllabus – with 10 Sectional Tests6 Subjectwise Tests and 8 Simulator Tests ™ to cover the full syllabus. This will be supplemented by 2 Full Length Current Affairs Tests and 1 Test on Economic Survey and India Year Book. On your request, we have also included discussion classes/videos for each Test.

As the dust settles...

Everyone is talking about our PM's surgical strike to root out the cancer of black money, counterfeit currency and corruption from India. But I beg to differ. This is no surgery. Surgery is done only for early stages of cancer which is still operable. Cancer of black money and corruption in India is in the advanced stage with metastases and is not amenable to surgery. What the government has attempted is chemotherapy. Now chemotherapy is exquisitely troublesome unless we give premedication. Generally drugs are given to prevent vomiting, diarrhoea, ulcers, rashes, dehydration etc so that chemotherapy is bearable. This government has erred in not giving any premedication to the poor people being subjected to chemo. They should have ensured proper functional AT M s, more counters at banks, double shifts in banks, adequate cash and more mobile counters where cash can be exchanged. Be that it may, now that the chemo session is over, we have to bear with the side effects and hope that the drug works. Chemotherapy for advanced cancers are often followed by immunotherapy and so government must follow up with more measures to address this cancer.
But remember, most advanced cancers have no cure, chemotherapy only prolongs life. Corruption cannot be completely eradicated. I hope we are able to keep it in check. AMEN.
An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
·

Comments

• PLEASE suggest the measures which you believe should have been taken, before the demonetization came into effect.

Also what would have you done now, considering the fact the the "prior planning" was not adequate.

I don't think that just blaming an act,will do the needful.

As an aware citizen and a would be authority ,you must simultaneously suggest ways to overcome the short comings

THANK you.
    ·
  • Who said I'm blaming the act? I urge you to re read what I have written. This move is indeed a watershed moment in the economic and political history of independent india.

I was pointing to the fact that this malaise of corruption is like a cancer, which re surfaces even after taking strongest of measures. I wish we take adequate measures now to check the future tumorous growth! This move is a bitter medicine which was long due!
    ·
  • Who said I'm blaming the act? I urge you to re read what I have written. This move is indeed a watershed moment in the economic and political history of independent india.

I was pointing to the fact that this malaise of corruption is like a cancer, which re surfaces even after taking strongest of measures. I wish we take adequate measures now to check the future tumorous growth! This move is a bitter medicine which was long due!

ave bro jab farsi mai likhoge bhund hoke ...to logo ko kaise samjh aayega .... :D :D :D ye therapy or vo ... bhai therapeutic effect tumpe dekhne ko mi rha hai seedhe seedhe iss move kaa .... case solved :D :D :D
    ·
  • I agree with premise of the original post. Due diligence was scarce in the planning of demonetization step. New executive interventions are coming up daily creating utter confusion on ground level. eg. farmers can use old ₹500 notes, sudden stopping of exchange of ₹1000 notes, can recharge mobiles with old ₹500 notes etc.

What happened to another thread on this demonetization topic which this same thread creator created few weeks back ? Why was it abruptly deleted? It was a good discussion.
    ·
  • I agree with premise of the original post. Due diligence was scarce in the planning of demonetization step. New executive interventions are coming up daily creating utter confusion on ground level. eg. farmers can use old ₹500 notes, sudden stopping of exchange of ₹1000 notes, can recharge mobiles with old ₹500 notes etc.

What happened to another thread on this demonetization topic which this same thread creator created few weeks back ? Why was it abruptly deleted? It was a good discussion.

no clue. server issues I reckon!
    ·
  • Everyone is talking about our PM's surgical strike to root out the cancer of black money, counterfeit currency and corruption from India. But I beg to differ. This is no surgery. Surgery is done only for early stages of cancer which is still operable. Cancer of black money and corruption in India is in the advanced stage with metastases and is not amenable to surgery. What the government has attempted is chemotherapy. Now chemotherapy is exquisitely troublesome unless we give premedication. Generally drugs are given to prevent vomiting, diarrhoea, ulcers, rashes, dehydration etc so that chemotherapy is bearable. This government has erred in not giving any premedication to the poor people being subjected to chemo. They should have ensured proper functional AT M s, more counters at banks, double shifts in banks, adequate cash and more mobile counters where cash can be exchanged. Be that it may, now that the chemo session is over, we have to bear with the side effects and hope that the drug works. Chemotherapy for advanced cancers are often followed by immunotherapy and so government must follow up with more measures to address this cancer.
    But remember, most advanced cancers have no cure, chemotherapy only prolongs life. Corruption cannot be completely eradicated. I hope we are able to keep it in check. AMEN.

Agree with u

A View on this "They should have ensured proper functional AT M s, more counters at banks, double shifts in banks, adequate cash and more mobile counters where cash can be exchanged." I guess it might have alerted few people in transforming black money into white.
    In order to maintain the confidentiality he took that step.
    "Peaceful warrior"
    ·
  • srkrish said:

Everyone is talking about our PM's surgical strike to root out the cancer of black money, counterfeit currency and corruption from India. But I beg to differ. This is no surgery. Surgery is done only for early stages of cancer which is still operable. Cancer of black money and corruption in India is in the advanced stage with metastases and is not amenable to surgery. What the government has attempted is chemotherapy. Now chemotherapy is exquisitely troublesome unless we give premedication. Generally drugs are given to prevent vomiting, diarrhoea, ulcers, rashes, dehydration etc so that chemotherapy is bearable. This government has erred in not giving any premedication to the poor people being subjected to chemo. They should have ensured proper functional AT M s, more counters at banks, double shifts in banks, adequate cash and more mobile counters where cash can be exchanged. Be that it may, now that the chemo session is over, we have to bear with the side effects and hope that the drug works. Chemotherapy for advanced cancers are often followed by immunotherapy and so government must follow up with more measures to address this cancer.

Agree with u

A View on this "They should have ensured proper functional AT M s, more counters at banks, double shifts in banks, adequate cash and more mobile counters where cash can be exchanged." I guess it might have alerted few people in transforming black money into white.
    In order to maintain the confidentiality he took that step
    I meant taking those measure after the introduction of demonetisation!
    ·
  • @StrangerIsBackAgain @race @ForumIAS isse jyaada id nhi banaa sakta ..who is banning me without anything ....
    ·
  • srkrish said:

Agree with u

In order to maintain the confidentiality he took that step
    I meant taking those measure after the introduction of demonetisation!
    Right!
    Govt got two things to focus on after the demonetization.
    1. To look after the common man's inconvenience.
    2. To prevent black money holders escape possibility.

and as an add on To answer or response to critics etc..

As the main aim is to focus on 2, it couldn't concentrate properly on 1.
    This is also the reason for changing rules every now n then, that are ringing bells in black money holders hearts.
    Still there are cases where people have tried converting black into white.

This shouldn't be an excuse for affecting common man, but it happened(should have handled 1 to a different set of people to take care), hope govt will find ways to reduce or compensate it soon.
    And also hope for the move to step forward and take all necessary actions to fight the menace.
    "Peaceful warrior"
    ·
  • I still don't understand why the notes of higher denominations like 500/2000 are introduced instead of completely scrapping 500 and 1000 rupees notes. On one hand government is pushing for the cashless economy and on the other hand it has introduced the notes of higher denominations. Higher denomination notes will only encourage hoarding black money in the future as it will be easier to hoard huge amount in 2000 rupees notes.
    ·
  • edited November 2016
    gt2015 said:

I still don't understand why the notes of higher denominations like 500/2000 are introduced instead of completely scrapping 500 and 1000 rupees notes. On one hand government is pushing for the cashless economy and on the other hand it has introduced the notes of higher denominations. Higher denomination notes will only encourage hoarding black money in the future as it will be easier to hoard huge amount in 2000 rupees notes.

To decrease the velocity of higher denomination notes, which would make the process of tracking, easier!
    ·
  • With every response from BD, I get the feeling that the government has no handle on this issue. Really stupid answers, BD.

The Lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·

• With every response from BD, I get the feeling that the government has no handle on this issue. Really stupid answers, BD.

yaar yeh debroy bewqoof as well as arrogant lag rha h iss video m..

lost all respect for him.. i thought he was next big thing..
    ·
  • hemu said:

With every response from BD, I get the feeling that the government has no handle on this issue. Really stupid answers, BD.

yaar yeh debroy bewqoof as well as arrogant lag rha h iss video m..

lost all respect for him.. i thought he was next big thing..
    +1
    ·
  • It's not easy to quantify ,yup sure.

BUT could have been quantified with appropriate prior efforts ,this is something we call "planning " and important for any critical decision.
    ·

This is what happens when you are directed to respond but have no proper arguments..Just because only an economist can counter an economist.
    ·
  • edited November 2016
    ·
  • Bibek Debroy is answering like IAS aspirants in Mains Examination.
    ·
  • U r dun ..now u wil be picked up 4m wherever u are. :D
    ·
  • Haha... who knew that the guy who once shamelessly quoted Rs.28 as the poverty line to the SC in 2012 would one day sound sensible...

The Lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google