Quantitative revolution

Q) What is understood by quantification in Geography? Discuss the significance of quantification in modern geographical studies with examples.

Please help me with this answer.

Comments

• Q) What is understood by quantification in Geography? Discuss the significance of quantification in modern geographical studies with examples.

The question relate to the paradigm of behaviouralism and its effect on discipline of geography. During this paradigm, every discipline started quantification for empirical analysis to make the subject more scientific. Quantification with the use of different mathematical and statistical models.it led to mad craze for science among social scientist leaving normative aspects behind.

• Q) What is understood by quantification in Geography? Discuss the significance of quantification in modern geographical studies with examples.

Quantification is basically the use of tools and techniques such as systems approach, locational analysis, statistical analysis to arrive at generalisation and law making in geography.
    Extreme use of positivism and objectivity became a regular feature.
    It essentially de-humanised geography

e.g CPT of Christaller, Weber's Industrial location theory etc

Significance: geography can now be used for prediction and hence became important for planners, systems analysis helped in understanding the inter-relationship between various elements
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods

Quantification is basically the use of tools and techniques such as systems approach, locational analysis, statistical analysis to arrive at generalisation and law making in geography.

Significance: geography can now be used for prediction and hence became important for planners, systems analysis helped in understanding the inter-relationship between various elements
    so much subjectivity u wrote here :D :D :D btw answer is good .... :)
  • @kadduu aapka bhi geo optional hai kya?
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

• @kadduu aapka bhi geo optional hai kya?

hai abhi but will change it to math (50% hai yaar ) feedback lena padega logo se ...
  • kadduu said:

@kadduu aapka bhi geo optional hai kya?

hai abhi but will change it to math (50% hai yaar ) feedback lena padega logo se ...
    aur ghochu and whoever ka kaunsa optional hai?

@Welhamite315 ,,,tihat is nice answer ,,,,, since the geography became more practical .that can be called as quantification period .... not based on wholly on assumptions and on lab.......since that period ,now we are using satellite for agri, land use ,urbanisation , , etc etc ...ye hai quantification ....
  • @kadduu @fieryfiesta Thank you guys !

Any idea if there is a book available of the past year's solved questions for geography optional?
  • @kadduu @fieryfiesta Thank you guys !

Any idea if there is a book available of the past year's solved questions for geography optional?

books are available ...i have purchased one book 1 year ago but never opened that ... i dont know which publication ,,they are not up to that level ,,,,..if u r new these questions comes in our mind but of no use ... first complete ur syllabus once ... and after that try to write answer ...see question and answers of many test series ..they are available in market ..in that way u will get to know how to write ...i aso have to do that :D . but no book yaar ..... .... there are no diagrams .... only copied from books .... very static answer ...it wil be of no use
  • @kadduu Can you tell me if liberal reformist approach is same as welfare approach?
  • Qunatification in geography:

After second world war, the main stress was on formulation of abstract models for application of sophisticated statistical techniques.Quantitative analysis focuses on field studies,generating primary data,utilizing secondary data and applying sampling techniques.It is Anglo american school of thought that replaced ideographic approach by nomothethetic approach as a method of study in geography.Many methods are developed for formulation of models in geography.Methods developed are
    Central values and derivation
    Sampling method
    Coorelation and regression method
    Gravity method
    Nearest neighbour technique

Then different models are formulated for analysis of spatial structure like CPT,crop combination regions.It is development of Positivism paradigm supported quantitative techniques in geography.
    Advantages:
    Scientific basis to geography
    Systematic and methodological tabulation of data
    reduce multitude of observation to manageable number of factors
    Help in deriving suitable methods,trends ,laws and concepts,

Disadvantages:
    Discards normative aspects like beliefs,emotions
    Many geographers lack required knowledge of mathematics so can lead to erroneous results.

In modern trend write about GPS and GIS ,REMOTE SENSING DATA ANALYSIS METHODS.
    Any fool with a bit of luck can find himself born into power.

But earning it for yourself, that takes work.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog