MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening)-5:15PM - 7:15PM & 29th June (Morning)-11AM-1PM ; FREE SEMINAR ON 25TH JUNE, 5.15PM Subject To Availability Of Seats
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal(Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar(Rank-200, 2016) (3) Athar Aamir 1st booklet and 2nd booklet(Rank-2)
ForumIAS Community Meet 2017 on 25th June at 11 AM - You are invited

Dear Friends, ForumIAS Annual Community Meet will be held on June 25th at 11AM in Old Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi. The Chief Guest for the event will be Suharsh Bhagat, IAS Rank 5, CSE 2014. Come join us , and meet ForumIAS members who have secured ranks this year. Click here to register

How important is having a study material from a reputed Coaching for self-preparation?

I am a beginner. Can someone please explain to me the contents of a study material package offered by the reputed coaching center? Is it essential for preparing if you are not enrolled in any classroom program?
·

Comments

• Honestly, I have checked only some material from New Delhi coaching institutes like Sriram's Economy, Shankar IAS Environment (not in New Delhi and available as book in market also), Mahapatra Sir's sociology and felt that none of them add much value to the preparations if the standard books are read. Studying from books is a lot better as it helps in building foundation and thorough idea of the subject. Current affairs material like Vision and Insights or Chokkalingam Sir's video in addition to a daily newspaper is more important as it is really impossible to get all the current affairs from different sources particularly when you are not in New Delhi and don't have fellow aspirants to discuss such type of news with. If at all you want to buy material try contacting any of the xerox shops in New Delhi or Hyderabad over phone they will send you the photocopies of the materials at one tenth price charged by the institutes. I got mine at Kolkata.
    ·
  • @Ritwik
    Syllabus is vast and the coaching material along with syllabus will give your study the pace which is required.
    There are no substitutes for standard texts but there is always a chance that since they are well written you lose track of the time which you spend with them.
    It is best if you can pick an choose and study different topics from different sources depending on how much time you have.
    For optional I feel any one coaching material or notes are must because it give you the entire horizontal and vertical coverage in one place. Here also you will have to read in addition to the notes.
    ·
  • Being a beginner myself, I would suggest you to buy material for topics that you cannot devote enough time to.Use them for plugging holes in your prep.Do not solely rely on them.e.x if you do not have enough time to read a book on world history then you can buy notes from the market and finish it off quickly.

Beware! Man tends to chose the path of least resistance so it's possible that you may form a habit of relying on notes instead of standard booksand websites.In the end its your decision.Choose wisely.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • Also, every topic in the syllabus has a go-to-notes/guide! Look around this forum and you will find out.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • Ritwik said:

I am a beginner. Can someone please explain to me the contents of a study material package offered by the reputed coaching center? Is it essential for preparing if you are not enrolled in any classroom program?

No, they are not essential. Check Insight,Iasbaba for book list. These books are as good as or maybe better than coaching booklets. You can also download Ias100 booklets by chronicle, this will give you idea of coaching booklets as all coaching materials are very very similar.
    if you are in delhi do purchase class notes from xerox shops or order them from flavido as they are in very easy to read and remember.
    ·
  • @Debaleena

Thank you for your suggestions. From where did you get the notes in Kolkata?
    ·
  • @Ritwik I purchased it from a photostat shop in Hyderabad over telephone. They sent the material through post. New Delhi xerox shops sell it cheaper though, I got to know that later although the behaviour and service is better in the Hyderabad shop.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google