ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

Statistics optional for non statistical background aspirant

Hello All,

I am planning to take statistics optional for mains.
I am from BE background and have good knowledge on mathematics.
I need Statistics in current working role as Data Engineer /Data Science.

Please guide me if its feasible to take it as optional.

Comments

• Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • @katty007 Having interest in stats is one thing and memorizing proofs of theorems and reading many boring (but important topics) is another. It took me more than 1 year to gather all the materials, and devise a strategy. Also, there is no guidance and no test series, etc.

I would recommend you to take 1 week to go through previous 30 years papers of stats, tally them with the syllabus and our present understanding. If you have fairly advanced understanding of stats including multivariate analysis, design of analysis, non parametric hypothesis testing and queuing models then only take stats as optional if you are targeting cse 2017.

So research for some time. Watch some video lectures on NPTEL and contact me after mains (9th dec), I'll tell you more in detail.
    Attempt # 3 | Statistics optional | RBI Grade B Officer
  • thanks bhai ...

I was curious about this subject as it will help me in Data Science also as i am working professional.
    what the success ratio for this subject. I guess hardly anyone takes this as optional.
  • Hi, I am also from BE, having good knowledge about Maths and opting for Stats.
    I am kind of prepared for Stats - paper 1, but not finding good resources for paper 2. @naveenkr12 Can you share any useful info on this. @naveenkr12 , please reply only after your mains and all the best.
  • Hi Folks,

How was the paper. Can someone please help me with good resources for Stats paper 2. Also it would be really helpful if someone can post paper of this year.
  • Hi Folks,

Can someone with Statistics optional reply.
  • edited February 8
    I would suggest that stats and geology are two mirages which can lure many but only a very few like naveen ji above, can remain disillusioned and crack it.

The "vector spaces "proofs in my engg still haunt me and thats why i decided to leave this idea.

God has been generous. Now is my turn to prove he wasn't wrong
    #myquote.

hindi literature optional. PREPARING NOTES FOR HINDI and would like to see notes of others.interested aspirants can contact here or @ daanveerakarna@gmail.com
  • Sasankh said:

Hi Folks,

Can someone with Statistics optional reply.

I m taking stats optional for uppsc this time send me your number we can call each other and discuss how to proceed

“If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them.”

• I would suggest that stats and geology are two mirages which can lure many but only a very few like naveen ji above, can remain disillusioned and crack it.

The "vector spaces "proofs in my engg still haunt me and thats why i decided to leave this idea.

stats is too tough for non statiscal backgorund but selective study can fetch you good marks

“If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them.”

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog