Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

External Hard Disk Data not readable. PLEASE HELP.

My 1 TB WD My passport external hard disk was not ejected properly on a friend's laptop. Now it is running but not reading any data on any laptop.
It is 800 gb full (of which only 80-100 gb are important, vvi data).
How should I recover the data ?
It is very important, this has taken away my sleep.
Guys please provide your valuable inputs.
There’s no such thing as failure, it is just a wait for success.
·

Comments

• edited October 2016
    @DM_BABU
    Please install UBUNTU or plug in any friend's who has it.
    Ubuntu is available free of cost on their website, you can download and install the entire OS like any other .exe file.
    Copy your data on your computer while you are able to read it on Ubuntu and then format your HDD on Windows again.
    99% chance this will work.

Do this before you listen to any shopkeeper or anyone who says, nothing can be done now.
    ·
  • @DM_BABU
    Please install UBUNTU or plug in any friend's who has it.
    Ubuntu is available free of cost on their website, you can download and install the entire OS like any other .exe file.
    Copy your data on your computer while you are able to read it on Ubuntu and then format your HDD on Windows again.
    99% chance this will work.

Do this before you listen to any shopkeeper or anyone who says, nothing can be done now.

Good advice! Or you could use a virtual machine. Also there are many filesystem check and repair commands like fsck in linux. Check the man page for details

If all else fails, you could always recover data by reading sectors. Don't worry, even if some data is corrupted, you'll be able to recover most, just don't complicate the directory structure by writing new files on the hd.
    Sometimes a little bit of darkness is what we need to shine. You are a diamond in this coal mine. you can dazzle the world, trust me! All you need is a little patience. This too shall pass.
    ·
  • @arunshourie1989 @RagnarDanneskjöld thanx guyz i shall try
    ·
  • @arunshourie1989 @RagnarDanneskjöld
    Guys i installed UBUNTU and tried after plugging in my Hard drive but it did not read it. any other alternative?
    please respond asap.
    ·
  • Data recovery is possible. Go to any well known shop, they'll do it. If you live in Delhi, then Nehru Place has hundreds of those shops
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods
    ·
  • @DM_BABU aage se backup ka bhi backup banaakar rakhaa karo. Mere data ke 3 backups hain :#
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods
    ·
  • @DM_BABU aage se backup ka bhi backup banaakar rakhaa karo. Mere data ke 3 backups hain :#

+1 ye thread dekh k ab yehi karna padega :p
    You raise me up to more than I can be...
    ·
  • open up a command prompt :

$su -
    enter password on prompt.

then do 'fdisk -l' and paste the output here. Let me have a look.

Sometimes a little bit of darkness is what we need to shine. You are a diamond in this coal mine. you can dazzle the world, trust me! All you need is a little patience. This too shall pass.
    ·
  • @DM_BABU
    That was all I knew. Should've worked.
    @RagnarDanneskjöld I hope can be of help. (Take his comp on TeamViewer)
    ·
  • @DM_BABU
    if nothing works,go and consult some shops at nehru place if you are delhi as they were able to recover my 2 years old data!
    ·
  • @snehasharma how much did they charge?
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog