Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes for 2018 : Attend three days of Classes at FourmIAS Offline Center in New Delhi.
Learn how to make own notes from newspaper and alayze issues for CSE.

Click here to : (1) Register, (2) Download Broucher (3) Click here to enroll ONLINE | OFFLINE Click
Course commences on 28th October at 5PM

Ideological inclinations that you must possess to qualify for CS

What is the full set of ideological stands that aspirants should have in order to get selected for the civil services?

Eg. If you're into extreme leftist politics, then you better scoot over to the red corridor and wait for the CRPF to put a few bullets up your a**. You'll not get into CS with that world view.

But some things are not that clear cut.
Eg.

1. Should India and Pakistan start the peace process again at this time? (I rather not)

2. Who should be blamed for the Pakistani occupation of PoK? (You know who)

3. What is your take on the alleged destruction of the secret Netaji files?

4. What was the role of parliamentarians in so many scams in India?

5. Is the upper house of parliament fit for scrapping?

6. Is ahimsa relevant today? Is it possible to have absolute ahimsa?

7. What is your take on the net result of reservations in India? How justified is the current exclusion criteria?

8. Why does the US fund terrorists in Pakistan indirectly?

9. Can you remain absolutely honest in a system that is almost absolutely dishonest?

10. Is alcoholism part of western culture?

11. Why are poor tribal people deprived and neglected in our shining India?

12. Why are certain jobs still forced upon people of a certain caste and why don't we punish the people who actually practice castist discrimination?

13. Who is responsible for the suicide of farmers and the overpowering dominance of middlemen?

14. Who is responsible for the deaths from Japanese encephalitis and denge?

15. Why give so much importance to cricket and football when half the country in barely able to go from hand to mouth on a daily basis?

16. How many socio-economic India-s are there in the geographical India?

17. Can holy books have versions?

18. Is westernisation bad? What is to happen to the parts of our culture that we throw away for their western counterparts?

19. Is there anything called free speech or is it a joke the world over?

20. Why are we silent on the endless slaughter of innocents in West Asia? What good does even mere lip service do?

21. Ayodhya issue.

22. Bifurcation of states. Water sharing.

23. Enlightened national interest vs National interest.

24. Fixing responsibility for the state of India's external covert capabilities. How long do we sugar coat a mistake?

25. Is the fifth estate today just an extension of the first estate?

Add your questions and answer mine.
Dead and departed general caste player. RIP.

Comments

• Keep calm and go back to books , as opposed to the charm of civil services the reality is quite different , your job will be to follow order and implement policies ( and not policy making ), moreover hallmark of beaurocracy is neutrality and anonymity and impartiality ,

PS I am in no way trivializing your query , just wrote what I felt .
  • Keep calm and go back to books , as opposed to the charm of civil services the reality is quite different , your job will be to follow order and implement policies ( and not policy making ), moreover hallmark of beaurocracy is neutrality and anonymity and impartiality ,

In know this to be the fact. But I need to say the right things officially to not get kicked off the list. Hence the questions.
  • edited October 2016

Keep calm and

Have a little late night date with Mr single malt , maybe kiss a few classic milds and ponder over the mysteries of life , I am quite certain you will get the correct answer .

In know this to be the fact. But I need to say the right things officially to not get kicked off the list. Hence the questions.

+1

Left right up down or anything , you are a civil servant . Your replies should be people centric and should benefit them . If you hold this line you dont have to justify anything .

Atb
  • Ready....steady....GO...........
  • naukari ke pahle saal me seekh jaaoge ki agar shanti se naukar karani hai to apni koi image hi na banane do...ee saali image ek baar ban gayi naa to chamadi ke saath nikal ke jaati hai ;)
    ज़ुर्रतों के करघे पे सपने बुनता हूँ...
  • naukari ke pahle saal me seekh jaaoge ki agar shanti se naukar karani hai to apni koi image hi na banane do...ee saali image ek baar ban gayi naa to chamadi ke saath nikal ke jaati hai ;)

pandey ji ki jai ho
    Marriage is like retiring as a bachelor and getting a sexual pension. You don't have to work for the sex any more, but you only get 65% as much.
  • +1
    Isiliye kayi baar kayi image-dhariyon ki chamdi utar bhi jaati hai.
    Anyway yourpunch line is cool.

naukari ke pahle saal me seekh jaaoge ki agar shanti se naukar karani hai to apni koi image hi na banane do...ee saali image ek baar ban gayi naa to chamadi ke saath nikal ke jaati hai ;)

Humanity is above all.
  • Dudes! I still didn't get the answer!! Can I say that reservation has damaged India or will that land me in jail (if I were to say that) let alone be in CS?? They're asking so many pointed questions regarding reservation!!!
  • Reservation as a concept of positive discrimination is not bad in itself , it resonates with the democratic (and even natural justice ) that like should be treated like , but kintu parantu this exact meaning of the term has long been forgotten amidst the political machanizations of vote bank politics , so yeah you can say that but qualify your assertion .
  • Reservation as a concept of positive discrimination is not bad in itself , it resonates with the democratic (and even natural justice ) that like should be treated like , but kintu parantu this exact meaning of the term has long been forgotten amidst the political machanizations of vote bank politics , so yeah you can say that but qualify your assertion .

Kintu parantu agar examiner ke bhawnaon ko thes pohoche tab to meri maiyyat nikalwayenge! :'(
  • edited October 2016
    Civil service is a way of life and not just another job. You just cant approach this service with a mindset which generally people have when they are in some 9-5 job. Some dont understand the piousness of this service, approach it like another mundane job and this attitude later becomes the root of all corruption.

If you dont want to "serve", but wish to be "served", you should not even try this examination.
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • On the contrary, most people who come with desires of changing something and "serving the people" are the ones who get the most disillusioned and frustrated. GA is an example. Disillusionment was writ large on his face while he was speaking.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • On the contrary, most people who come with desires of changing something and "serving the people" are the ones who get the most disillusioned and frustrated. GA is an example. Disillusionment was writ large on his face while he was speaking.

@DrKingSchultz I think he's pretty happy in the service, no?

@ DrKingSchultz I think he's pretty happy in the service, no?
    No option but to be happy.
    He wouldn't choose IAS again if given a chance, that is what I could figure out from his speech.
    He was at his most regretful when he said that clouds used to form below his feet in Hong Kong and here he has to wake up every morning to go check whether toilets have been made or not.

Everybody accepts the reality in the end, some gracefully and some grudgingly. But disillusionment is common amongst everyone, because we hype up the service too much during prep.
  • Agreeed Bro
    I would like to add that approach any exam with your original self. Why to condition yourself for any job however glorious it may be if you have to fake your ideologies.
    Rather raise your abilities & capabilities actually to meet the prevailing standards.

Believe me if youll' fake it you'll never make it.
    The people out there see through you to find that your artificially adopted ideology is only skin deep. Then they squeez marrow out of your bones in interview.

Civil service is a way of life and not just another job. You just cant approach this service with a mindset which generally people have when they are in some 9-5 job. Some dont understand the piousness of this service, approach it like another mundane job and this attitude later becomes the root of all corruption.

If you dont want to "serve", but wish to be "served", you should not even try this examination.

Humanity is above all.

He wouldn't choose IAS again if given a chance, that is what I could figure out from his speech.
    He was at his most regretful when he said that clouds used to form below his feet in Hong Kong and here he has to wake up every morning to go check whether toilets have been made or not.

Everybody accepts the reality in the end, some gracefully and some grudgingly. But disillusionment is common amongst everyone, because we hype up the service too much during prep.
    He also said 2 years in CS is 20 years in investment banking :P

:tongue:

Guys, Let us start being nice to other people.

Even GA has not been spared. I am having a tough time getting successful candidates to contribute something because suddenly everyone is afraid if being pulled into something nasty.

I aint saying anything above is nasty. It is just that one thing leads to another. Slippery Slope.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Neyawn said:

On the contrary, most people who come with desires of changing something and "serving the people" are the ones who get the most disillusioned and frustrated. GA is an example. Disillusionment was writ large on his face while he was speaking.

:tongue:

Guys, Let us start being nice to other people.

Even GA has not been spared. I am having a tough time getting successful candidates to contribute something because suddenly everyone is afraid if being pulled into something nasty.

I aint saying anything above is nasty. It is just that one thing leads to another. Slippery Slope.
    True.
    Sorry Shaktimaan. :neutral:
    Delete my comments if they are improper.
  • Once Arnold asked Humphrey Appleby- " How dare you commit to a cause?" Humphery replied-"You know Arnold I have never professed such luxuries, I am a mere humble servant of the crown". Sums it up. Jokes apartBTW Constitution should be your ideology. Can profess Gandhism &Humanism.
  • jal said:

Once Arnold asked Humphrey Appleby- " How dare you commit to a cause?" Humphery replied-"You know Arnold I have never professed such luxuries, I am a mere humble servant of the crown". Sums it up. Jokes apartBTW Constitution should be your ideology. Can profess Gandhism &Humanism.

Smart people profess many things to say nothing ;)
    ज़ुर्रतों के करघे पे सपने बुनता हूँ...
  • Feminists claim, they care about men's rights. Practically? NO.
    RSS claims, it is a cultural organization. Really? NO.
    Are you tied by Marxism or Capitalism? Or can you support certain aspects of both and reject certain others on a case by case basis? Try it.
    It sets you free. It liberates you.

All " isms" of the world have elements of falsehood and gimmickery associated with them. A civil servant should be able to call a spade a spade. She should be devoid of all ideologies. A Realpolitik.

Anyone who is committed to ONE ideology, throughout his life - is an " intellectual slave" of the creator of that ideology.
    Marx gave his ideology against a certain historical backdrop. Do those conditions hold relevance after so many centuries? Ideas come and go. Change is THE ONLY constant. Yet, a Marxist in 2016, would defend Marx till his deathbed. That's as good as selling your personal intellectual property rights, to a dead man.

No ideology allows you to change. Therein lies the problem. You are tied. You are not free. A Sangi at the age of 17, is true to his ideology till he dies. A feminist at the age of 19, does not get a chance to change herself later, for she becomes a hypocrite in her own eyes if she does so. In any case, is the wisdom of a boy in his teens the same as his wisdom when he grows into a man - a father? Does his worldview NOT change? If yes, ideologies do not allow that change. If no, the person isn't growing.

1. Killing Burhan Wani was right, using pellet guns were not.
    2. JNU slogans were indeed Anti-India but the crackdown on students was pathetic.
    3. Godhra was sad, 1984 was worse.
    4. I may or may not have voted for Modi in 2014, but I may or may not vote for him in 2019.
    5. Leftist CPIM are as intolerant as the rightist BJP. Both cannot stand anything being said against their " ideologies ". " Centrist" Congress, is worse.

Yes - it is a persons COMMITMENT to one ideology and consequently the unwillingness to change, that makes it appear as if India is intolerant. The leftists, rightists, centrists - with their rigidity are equally responsible. But then again, its a way of life in a vibrant democracy.
    6. Till I die, I will reserve my right to support or critique anyone of any ideology. Neither will I worship Golwalkar nor Simone de Beauvoir. Neither Gandhi nor Ambedkar. They do not live in my times. I shall merely, accept or REJECT their ideas on a case by case basis.
    7. Neither will I chant har har Modi nor will I wear a skull cap to prove my secularism.

If I'm a civil servant, I should not act based on ANY ideology. I'm merely, an instrument in the hands of law.

If Gautama Buddha blindly followed ideologies that existed before him - he'd have never seen THE TRUTH. Enlightenment. Liberation.

Do we want to be intellectual slaves of a dead master whose ideology is STILL alive, or do we want to be liberated? I know my answer :)
    Pehle vey aap par dhyan nahi denge, Fir aap par hasenge, Fir aapse ladenge, Aur tab aapki jeet hogi.
  • edited October 2016
    If not ideologies, there should be a set of principles guiding a person in his/her role as a civil servant. Acting in vacuum is something which I would not encourage. We may not imitate the masters, but we can surely learn from them.
    You raise me up to more than I can be...
  • ^^ All well and good buddy but if I say a word against reservation or laws that are biased against the forward castes or if I say that the word secularism in the preamble is an example of national hypocrisy or something similar, then they'll just fail me. The instructions are clear that they mark a paper on the overall impression and not just on a tally of marks. I'm just asking for the list of lines that I need to tow to clear this exam. I may not believe in them but I must write it in my answers to get selected. Frankly, I don't give a fuck about ideological positions. I am free of all moral bullshit. I do what I feel is right. But the questions from the last few years have made it amply clear that you must possess a set of ideological characteristics to be able to clear this exam. I need to be absolutely sure that I didn't screw up my chances just because I said something that is correct but is against the expected ideological requirements. I scored very poorly in last mains because I said in one question that reservation has been more negative that positive and that I should save the politician last in that disaster question.
  • @DepartedMisanthrope Do go through a few books for pub ad. I am assuming it's not your optional. They have mentioned what all is expected from an administrator.
    Unable to recall the names of the books now.
    To be honest how you are expected to write in the paper might be different from how you perform in the field. Yet, as you said, we need to write answers which would please the examiner. And that would mean writing answers loaded with values and ideologies.
    You raise me up to more than I can be...
  • race said:

@DepartedMisanthrope Do go through a few books for pub ad. I am assuming it's not your optional. They have mentioned what all is expected from an administrator.
    Unable to recall the names of the books now.
    To be honest how you are expected to write in the paper might be different from how you perform in the field. Yet, as you said, we need to write answers which would please the examiner. And that would mean writing answers loaded with values and ideologies.

Thank you. Let's hope someone suggests a name.
  • Bhai I am not qualified to give any advise on this but still I will just say what I think might work. Everything has some good things and some bad things. Nothing is cent percent correct or cent percent wrong. So as far as mains is concerned no matter what is the ideology of the candidate and no matter how controversial the question is I think we should just write a few points for the topic, a few points against the topic and end the answer on an optimistic note. 6-7 minute me isse jyada aur kar bhi kya sakte hain.
    2013-Failed Pre by 7 marks
    2014-Failed Pre by 1 marks
    2015-Failed Mains by 25 marks
    2016-Failed Pre
    2017-Final Battle
  • jal said:

Once Arnold asked Humphrey Appleby- " How dare you commit to a cause?" Humphery replied-"You know Arnold I have never professed such luxuries, I am a mere humble servant of the crown". Sums it up. Jokes apartBTW Constitution should be your ideology. Can profess Gandhism &Humanism.

+1

Also if the interview panel is led by a bureaucrat , a good attitude is to say that civil services is a very good and prestigious career opportunity , instead of sounding like a radical transformer who wants to bring a change in the society.

Do not come across as someone who only wants to "serve the people". Nothing puts off a bureaucrat more than that.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • ^^ All well and good buddy but if I say a word against reservation or laws that are biased against the forward castes or if I say that the word secularism in the preamble is an example of national hypocrisy or something similar, then they'll just fail me. The instructions are clear that they mark a paper on the overall impression and not just on a tally of marks. I'm just asking for the list of lines that I need to tow to clear this exam. I may not believe in them but I must write it in my answers to get selected. Frankly, I don't give a fuck about ideological positions. I am free of all moral bullshit. I do what I feel is right. But the questions from the last few years have made it amply clear that you must possess a set of ideological characteristics to be able to clear this exam. I need to be absolutely sure that I didn't screw up my chances just because I said something that is correct but is against the expected ideological requirements. I scored very poorly in last mains because I said in one question that reservation has been more negative that positive and that I should save the politician last in that disaster question.

Well, I try to keep these points in mind when I attempt a question:- (feel free to criticise)
    1) Never write anything against the government
    2) Never write anything against women
    3) Never write anything against the environment
    4) The constitution is always right
    5) Never ever criticise any freedom fighter(s)
    6) Never write anything against policies initiated by the government in power
    7) Never go against minorities, dalits etc..
    8) Tread on the madhayama marga i.e. dont ever lean towards the left or the right
    9) If you have been asked to critically analyse an issue, use some neutral pet points which you have read somewhere. Never invent your own points; atleast not when you are writing the exam...
    10) In ethics, unless his/her order is outright preposterous, your senior is generally right!

You may/may not subscribe to the views above but I feel you have to be diplomatically correct if you want to pass this exam.

*constructive comments please*

Well, I try to keep these points in mind when I attempt a question:- (feel free to criticise)
    1) Never write anything against the government
    2) Never write anything against women
    3) Never write anything against the environment
    4) The constitution is always right
    5) Never ever criticise any freedom fighter(s)
    6) Never write anything against policies initiated by the government in power
    7) Never go against minorities, dalits etc..
    8) Tread on the madhayama marga i.e. dont ever lean towards the left or the right
    9) If you have been asked to critically analyse an issue, use some neutral pet points which you have read somewhere. Never invent your own points; atleast not when you are writing the exam...
    10) In ethics, unless his/her order is outright preposterous, your senior is generally right!

You may/may not subscribe to the views above but I feel you have to be diplomatically correct if you want to pass this exam.

*constructive comments please*
    While doing all this...don't give an impression that you are not capable of presenting an honest opinion...eg legit and constructive criticism of government policies may be presented, for example , you don't find auctioning of natural resources working for larger economy. (Personal view)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog