43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Alcohol and pub culture in India and its sociological implications??? Is it western???

Let's talk about the good and bad things about alcohol and alcoholism in India.
Dead and departed player. RIP.
·

Comments

• edited October 2016

Marriage is like retiring as a bachelor and getting a sexual pension. You don't have to work for the sex any more, but you only get 65% as much.
    ·
  • A republic without a pub is just a relic.
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: (?)
    Literature of English Language.
    Dentist, bounty hunter, aspiring diplomat. Opinionated.
    ·

+10000
    Marriage is like retiring as a bachelor and getting a sexual pension. You don't have to work for the sex any more, but you only get 65% as much.
    ·
  • Jab samudra manthan se nikle amrit ko ,mahavishnu ne srishti hit k liye,(chhal se) devtaaon ko de diya tha, tab danavon ko sura paan hee naseeb hua tha
    ·

This guy for president ☺☺

·

:+1:
    ·

A pub without a Republic still gets customers. ;)
    ·
  • On the topic of culture, here is my favourite song:

"Bewra man dekhne laga ek sapna..." :D

Bewre se mann kee dekho, bewri hain bate
    Bewre see dhadkane hain, bewari hain sansein Bewre see karvaton se nindiya too bhage Bewre se nain chahe, bewre jharokho se
    Bewre najaro ko takna

Bewra se iss jahan me, brwra ek sath ho
    Iss sayanee bhid me, bas hathon me teraa hath ho
    Bewri see dhun ho koyee, bewra ek rag ho
    Bewri se pair chahe, bewre tarano ke
    Bewre se bol pe thirakna

Bewra sa ho andhera, bewri khamoshiya
    Thartharatee lau ho maddham,
    Bewri madhoshiya
    Bewra ek ghungta chahe, haule haule bin bataye
    Bewre se mukhde se sarakna
    ·
  • Nah bro, it isn't western,eastern or middle earth, people just like getting high and hooking up. The so called pub "culture" where people dance on "kung fu fighting", hook up, pay 250 Rs for bubbled water, and do other crazy shit, such "culture" is also pretty common in tribal belts of Jharkhand, Orissa, Chattisgarh except that they dance on "school ke tame pe" and dont pay for overpriced water and shitty drinks. But they hook up, gamble, and there are cockfights. I wouldn't be wrong in assuming that such things happens even in Africa or Polynesia or Andaman and Nicobar. So westerners simply interpret their need for being social according to their social beliefs and customs, which i think is based on roman tradition.
    ·
  • We have been drinking soma since vedic age and dancing like the dancing girl of mohen jo daro so no its not western,its all part of human culture.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
    ·
  • edited October 2016
    Real world is oh! so daunting,
    Cruel, heartless : often so wanting.
    Just a few pegs, I feel so great,
    Worries are pushed to a later date.
    I am Alexander, I am Bonaparte,
    Generous, gregarious : not the usual fart.
    Friends, do not pause to think,
    Just pour me out a big, big drink.
    For many years you can then boast,
    For the great @DepartedMisanthrope , I have held a toast!
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·
  • Real world is oh! so daunting,
    Cruel, heartless : often so wanting.
    Just a few pegs, I feel so great,
    Worries are pushed to a later date.
    I am Alexander, I am Bonaparte,
    Generous, gregarious : not the usual fart.
    Friends, do not pause to think,
    Just pour me out a big, big drink.
    For many years you can then boast,
    For the great @DepartedMisanthrope , I have held a toast!

Bewra khush hua...
    Happy Wet Diwali... ;)
    ·
  • Let's talk about the good and bad things about alcohol and alcoholism in India.

One of the sociological implications would be the adverse effect on the economic condition of a family. The money which should be rightfully invested in the children's education and health needs is spent on drinking. At this point, consuming alcohol ceases to be a pastime and becomes a public issue.
    You raise me up, to more than I can be.…
    ·
  • good things --- are on lower side
    1.taken as chillaxing agent .sometimes its good to refresh oneself if he feels so that its the cure (individualistic)
    2. taken as an tool to make social harmony (mutualism :D ) or social drinking sometimes good for professionalism
    3. higher revenue for govt so higher GDP

bad things ---on higher side
    1. deterioration of health and wastage of money for regular drunkard so lesser individual 's development
    2. social anarchy .(domestic violence , crimes,abuses )
    4. boycott of drunkard from rest of society (social alienation)
    5. less HDI :D hahaha .... life expectancy wil be reduced , and money spent on alcohol should be wittingly spent on family (education.health etc)....
    6. also makes an habit if someone use regularly so lessre social development ..... :'(
    7. results in abject poverty (in case of india)..

·
  • is it western?????

i dont have much knowledge .... but i have seen in mahabharat or shaayad ramaayana ..... it was som ras for deities ... and irrespective of intellect from ancient to modern time ,people always worshiped someone ..so they follow their good and bad things both eagerly .. i have seen indra (god of rain) always with some beautiful girls and madiraa paan ...(in tv :D ) ........if someone will say that to make physical intimacy is western in india ....answer is no ...hahaha......but yes we can not deny the role of globalization ... which made it possible for an person to reach awesome drinks at sustainable cost :D :D :D( but india mai to kachhi/desi kaa prachlan /prevalance hai ..... )
    ·
  • you cannot think of a society of all work and discipline. Majority can be framed under a discipline for a short period of productive work. Farmer is logically doing the hardwork for only about 14 days,leisure times are increasing in the formal sector, a homemaker cooks food and maintain house effectively for few hours, Entreprenuer's Job is to manage stuff and take crucial steps.. an engineering student studies for like..forget it.. Life is not as tough as it is projected.
    So for the leisure time moralist suggest social work, religion and aesthetics..And indeed its not a surprise, why to kill the time, many women(some men) are addictive of elaborate religious practices, listening katha..A businessmen/women donates lakhs on religious to not only show off but to kill the anxiety of cruelty and blackmoney.

Some other prefer NGOs and adventurism. Only passionate people can do that for a long time.

What would you would have done had you had to drive an auto during a chilly night. I have personally asked many auto rickshaw drivers that why all of them chew tobacco. The reply was that this monotonous job needs killing of brain.Hence the chewing.. A sag picker who needs no mind application, if ever he starts introspecting, "what this life is for? Whom am I working for and who is profiteering out of it?" When he would like to protest. Hence to kill that brain work..he may choose alcohol.

With vested interests of booze manufacturers, pub,partying and alcoholism is also glorified as a cooler way of life..They utilise cinemas and Actors for this purpose. and in the media they term themselves as job generators. Moreover a rationalist and athiest does not have any prejudice against it.

People take it as a challenge to drink especially when it is legally and socially illegitimate. Just to kill time.

So to even think of reducing alcohol, you need to have a proper substitute, which is adventurous, addictive, passionate, desirable and where vested interest of powerful class is hidden.

Or else you call it western or pubbing or drug addiction..Practically it will leak into the society notwithstanding "security".
    Had there been no alcohol , in the similar circumstances of helplessness, people would have resorted to other "vices" like gambling, paase etc.
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
  • Thankyou all for justifying my bewrapanti :smiley:
    ·
  • @DepartedMisanthrope ...r u stupid ... ??? :D i can guess if u have internet power you r not from slums .... doosre justify maarenge teri bewripanti kaa??? hmmmm ????. ..... tu mauz mai pee raha ...u r not an industrial worker ki haan ....you have wiped out after ur industrial work .... and wanna take rest so .... let me have some pegs ..... bhakkk ..mauz ke iye thread bana diya .... :D
    ·
  • ghochu said:

@DepartedMisanthrope ...r u stupid ... ??? :D i can guess if u have internet power you r not from slums .... doosre justify maarenge teri bewripanti kaa??? hmmmm ????. ..... tu mauz mai pee raha ...u r not an industrial worker ki haan ....you have wiped out after ur industrial work .... and wanna take rest so .... let me have some pegs ..... bhakkk ..mauz ke iye thread bana diya .... :D

Bhak saala. Hum to jokingly post kiya be! Abhi fullto loaded. bas time pass kar raha hoon!! :D
    ·
  • Thankyou all for justifying my bewrapanti :smiley:

Hey hey Bro!! Atleast I did not. :wink:
    mere dost jab nammi maarte the daru pee pee ke..aur interview fode the daru pee pee k.. tab mummy ko me batana chahta tha..kitna bewakoof banati aai ho aap mujhe. ;)
    But still man agar uncontrolled h to it's paise ki barbadi..samay ki barbadi aur reasoning ke sath compromise.
    I lost my IAS aspirant friend while he was riding a bike(drunk). Ok that's an extreme situation..But ye helplessness ka chuti**pa h. Well mera addiction Counter Strike tha, kaio ka TV seires hota h..Every thing is an outcome of helplessness coz we dont have any or we do not try to find a better choice during engineering.
    But abhi to chhod do yaar. My comment was totally for the anxiety of the weaker section like farmers who after doing his hardwork for 14 days has no choice but to pray for a good monsoon and a pest free harvest for like 3.5 months.
    I hope mene mene tumhara dil nahi toda :D
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google