Download part 1 and part 2 of the Economic Survey 2016-17 Vol. 2 summary by ForumIAS : Click here to DOWNLOAD part 1
Click here to DOWNLOAD part 2

Handwriting Speed & Legibility Improvement Classe at ForumIAS
Dear Friends, We are arranging for a handwriting speed and legibility improvement course on August 27, Sunday at 3PM, by Mohan Ray from Healthy Handwriting. | . If you facing the problem of slow handwriting, you can take this course, which has been brought on the request of several students who were facing similar problems.

How important are livemint articles ?

Insight secure is full of livemint references. The articles are very bulky.sometimes i feel they are not very useful and full of fodder. Sometimes i find them very informative. Nevertheless its a brain draining exercise. I want to know how important they are. After full hindu and indian express editorial, is it necessary to read livemint too ?
•~dangal dangal~•
If those who think to achieve,
Have a firm and focused mind,
They will realize what they thought of,
And even as they have thought of.
Thirukkural
·

Comments

• No, it isn't after Hindu and IE. But I would suggest you choose one from IE or Hindu and add Mint.

I personally read IE and Mint cover to cover. I find both of them equally important for CSE prep.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
    ·
  • No, it isn't after Hindu and IE. But I would suggest you choose one from IE or Hindu and add Mint.

I personally read IE and Mint cover to cover. I find both of them equally important for CSE prep.

Okkk...thanks :)
    •~dangal dangal~•
    Thirukkural
    ·
  • use flipboard to read selected articles from all three.
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·
  • edited October 2016
    Livemint achha newspaper hai... Policy, Opinion page, Agriculture, Science.. Sabhi sections bahut achhe hain uske.

Anurag Behar, Deepak Nayyar, V Ananth Nageswaran, Dipti Jain, Meenal Thakur... Inke articles bahut sahi aate hain Livemint mein.

" Business Standard and Livemint" --- Mere khayal se inse achhe Newspapers aur koi bhi nahi hai.

The Hindu bhi achha hai lekin mujhe lagta hai ki wo keval Prelims ke liye hi bahut important hai, ... Mains exam ke liye koi bahut khaas nahi hai The Hindu..

# Lekin if you are thinking to read Livemint for CSM 2016, then I would not suggest you the same... Kyonki ab keval 38 days baaki hain..
    ·
  • Livemint achha newspaper hai... Policy, Opinion page, Agriculture, Science.. Sabhi sections bahut achhe hain uske.

Anurag Behar, Deepak Nayyar, V Ananth Nageswaran, Dipti Jain, Meenal Thakur... Inke articles bahut sahi aate hain Livemint mein.

" Business Standard and Livemint" --- Mere khayal se inse achhe Newspapers aur koi bhi nahi hai.

The Hindu bhi achha hai lekin mujhe lagta hai ki wo keval Prelims ke liye hi bahut important hai, ... Mains exam ke liye koi bahut khaas nahi hai The Hindu..

# Lekin if you are thinking to read Livemint for CSM 2016, then I would not suggest you the same... Kyonki ab keval 38 days baaki hain..

Thanks ... :) i was asking for 2017
    •~dangal dangal~•
    Thirukkural
    ·
  • use flipboard to read selected articles from all three.

Okkk...thanks :)
    •~dangal dangal~•
    Thirukkural
    ·
  • does livemint publishes different articles in online and paper format??
    am unanle to find de online ones in paper version of New Delhi.
    ·
  • ksb said:

does livemint publishes different articles in online and paper format??
    am unanle to find de online ones in paper version of New Delhi.

Maine kabhi Livemint ka Hard Copy version padha toh nahi hai... Isliye zyada idea nahi mujhe is baare mein.

Par Online hi padhna mere khayal se sahi rahega....

Aur baaki jitne bhi dusre Newspapers aate hain Indian Express, Economic Times, The Statesman, Business line, The Hindu... In sabme toh Online and Offline version same hi hota hai.

Even Livemint newspaper jis Hindustan Times Media Group ka hai, wo Hindustan Times newspaper khud Online and Offline version mein bilkul same hi aata hai..

Toh its really strange ki Livemint agar Online and Offline version mein different aa raha hai toh..
    ·
  • ok bro. thnx fr response
    ·
  • It's the same in both online and offline versions.
    Online may have some extra articles, but it will certainly have the ones that are in print.
    ·
  • editorials collect kar lo n issue wise segregate kar do..insights se hi utha lo agar relevant lage to..The Hindu me to 3-4 hi thk article ate hain zyada tar and sunday to koi kaam ka nahi lagta...

prelims k liye to ready made material hi use karna chahiye..chaho to do source use karlo..
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • edited October 2016
    Mint doesn't get published on Sundays and Saturday has the Lounge edition which deals with "the better things in life" - art, travel, culture, fashion etc.

So effectively you have 25 op-eds per week. But I find the columns more interesting than op-eds.
    There is Banker's Trust, Capital Calculus, and quite a few others.
    ·
  • Mint doesn't get published on Sundays and Saturday has the Lounge edition which deals with "the better things in life" - art, travel, culture, fashion etc.

So effectively you have 25 op-eds per week. But I find the columns more interesting than op-eds.

Doc do you read the entire paper or select sections?
    The Wound is the place where the Light enters you.
    ·
  • sss_2503 said:

Mint doesn't get published on Sundays and Saturday has the Lounge edition which deals with "the better things in life" - art, travel, culture, fashion etc.

Almost the entire paper, except for the market and finance news.
    But I've stopped it since May, only read it once every few days when I'm bored of starting studies in the morning. :/
    I would love to read it everyday, it is an awesome paper.
    ·
  • Thanks guys for saving me.. o:) i was thinking of giving up livemint bcz of increased pressure..now I won't .. :)
    •~dangal dangal~•
    Thirukkural
    ·
  • sss_2503 said:

But I've stopped it since May, only read it once every few days when I'm bored of starting studies in the morning. :/
    So how have you covered current affairs since May?
    The Wound is the place where the Light enters you.
    ·
  • sss_2503 said:

sss_2503 said:

So how have you covered current affairs since May?
    Read PT 365 before prelims, will read Mains 365 soon. That's it.
    And some random news articles that come along with Mains marathon questions etc.
    ·
  • Livemint is good. Much more balanced than Hindu to say the least.

I will share my approach to newspapers. Actually what i do is i do topic wise search of news (for mains) e.g lets say that there is a topic called government budgeting. So i would search "Government Budgeting + news + India". This would direct me to all the news articles related to budgeting from most recent to oldest. I can than skim the articles that I find useful and bookmark them and believe me 60% of such boommarks are mint articles.
    ·
  • andy133 said:

Livemint is good. Much more balanced than Hindu to say the least.

I will share my approach to newspapers. Actually what i do is i do topic wise search of news (for mains) e.g lets say that there is a topic called government budgeting. So i would search "Government Budgeting + news + India". This would direct me to all the news articles related to budgeting from most recent to oldest. I can than skim the articles that I find useful and bookmark them and believe me 60% of such boommarks are mint articles.

Thats a nice strategy.
    •~dangal dangal~•
    Thirukkural
    ·
  • livemint's language is very lucid unlike Hindu..
    Since prelims I hardly read Hindu articles as current affairs material cover most aspects..But livemint is much better and I read them selectively.
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
  • Insight secure is full of livemint references. The articles are very bulky.sometimes i feel they are not very useful and full of fodder. Sometimes i find them very informative. Nevertheless its a brain draining exercise. I want to know how important they are. After full hindu and indian express editorial, is it necessary to read livemint too ?

No need to read lot of materials.. read only one news paper throughly. Concentrate on your basic building, read indian economy , INDIAN polity , human geography etc . Once you are good in basics no need to read 3 4 papers. Though refer IAS baba gists and one gk website like gk today. These are enough to
    make u ias..
    ·
  • edited October 2016
    For CSE current affairs, I find the app 'Knappily' has been very useful. The app provides a detailed analysis of current issues - tech, biz, social, political, legal etc. and also deals with important world history events. The analysis is done by answering six basic questions related to the issue in hand (what, why, when, where, who and how), which helps to retain the topic for a longer period (it is actually like a notes for the mains). Knappily can be downloaded from playstore and I think it is also available on apple store.

Needless to emphasize importance of The Hindu. I will put livemint behind Hindu and Knappily.
    ·
  • This is a good thread, where most of the articles has been covered from LM
    http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/20905/newspaper-article-summary-and-key-mesages/p9
    be a UPSC killer than a UPSC lover
    ·
  • editorials collect kar lo n issue wise segregate kar do..insights se hi utha lo agar relevant lage to..The Hindu me to 3-4 hi thk article ate hain zyada tar and sunday to koi kaam ka nahi lagta...

prelims k liye to ready made material hi use karna chahiye..chaho to do source use karlo..

please suggest ready made source for prelim.
    Pre 2015- Fail
    Pre 2016- Fail
    CSIR Life Science NET- 18 June
    Road 2018 (Last Attempt)
    ·
  • karma_17 said:

For CSE current affairs, I find the app 'Knappily' has been very useful. The app provides a detailed analysis of current issues - tech, biz, social, political, legal etc. and also deals with important world history events. The analysis is done by answering six basic questions related to the issue in hand (what, why, when, where, who and how), which helps to retain the topic for a longer period (it is actually like a notes for the mains). Knappily can be downloaded from playstore and I think it is also available on apple store.

Needless to emphasize importance of The Hindu. I will put livemint behind Hindu and Knappily.

I am loving knappily... its how , when , where , way of dealing issues is fantastic.. thanks
    •~dangal dangal~•
    Thirukkural
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog