ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

status of bitcoins in India?

what is the status of bitcoins in India? Are they banned??
·

Comments

• What I know, a bit rusty on current affairs:

Not banned.
    Not regulated.
    RBI has cautioned users against using such currency.
    Bitcoin exchanges and bitcoin-based startups also exist.
    Recently Ratan Tata invested in one, don't remember which.

Blockchain is important. Can be used in a myriad ways.
    Banks are experimenting with its adoption for reducing transaction costs and improving the transaction structure.

Yesterday, a company made a stock blockchain source code public, enabling users to customize blockchains as per their needs.
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: (?)
    Literature of English Language.
    Dentist, bounty hunter, aspiring diplomat. Opinionated.
    ·
  • In 2013, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had cautioned the users, holders and traders of virtual currencies, including bitcoins, about the potential financial, operational, legal, customer protection and security-related risks that they could expose themselves to (http://bit.ly/2cpQmkz). “The creation, trading or usage of virtual currencies including Bitcoins, as a medium for payment are not authorised by any central bank or monetary authority,” RBI had stated.

In an email on 22 September,the RBI told Mint that the central bank’s stance on these currencies has not changed.

Two years after the 2013 cautionary note, in December 2015, the RBI spoke about looking into blockchain—the underlying technology of bitcoin. And in June this year, it spoke about setting up a committee to study the benefits of blockchain technology for banks.

“It’s not easy to regulate a technology that is as disruptive as bitcoin, since it’s highly decentralised. But we know for a fact that the RBI is not ignoring bitcoin and blockchain technologies, and intendS to regulate it. Last heard, the RBI is aiming to regulate crypto-currencies by 2017,” said Mohit Kalra, chief executive officer and founder, Coinsecure, a Delhi-based bitcoin exchange and trading platform.
    I am not quiet, I am plotting.
    ·
  • I trade in bitcoins. It is not banned nor its gonna happen in future. Blockchain technology is the future and in near future you may see banking institutions adopting blockchain technology.Recently ICICI has started some thing with blockchain technology.(no detail info.) Recently its prize hovers around 45000 i.e 1bitcoin= 45k. In future many outlets will start accepting bitcoins. it is step towards digital economy. and as @DrKingSchultz said RBI has formed high level committee to study feasibility of bitcoin for indian economy.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google