Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes for 2018 : Attend three days of Classes at FourmIAS Offline Center in New Delhi.
Learn how to make own notes from newspaper and alayze issues for CSE.

Click here to : (1) Register, (2) Download Broucher (3) Click here to enroll ONLINE | OFFLINE Click
Course commences on 28th October at 5PM

Status of IFoS preparation

Guys, please share the status of your IFoS mains preparation given that we have less than 3 weeks to go. Let me start with mine.

Geology - 40% - Very difficult to remember. Out of total 12 units I may be able to complete only 9 or 10. But I've to make sure I revise them well.

Agriculture - 40% - Contrary to popular thoughts, it is bulkier than geology. Huge difference between the readymade IFoS specific agri guides available in markets and the evolution material. The latter is a must do to answer questions satisfactorily and I'm finding very difficult to manage this along with civils preparation.

English - Not yet started but confident that I can manage with half a day of preparation of previous year papers.

GS - Except history, other things are over. Need to cover medieval India from NCERT which is very difficult now that I didn't do it for prelims :(

Overall, need to buckle up big time.

Comments

• Geology-60-70%
    forestry 40-50%
    fees refund issue wasted in total 4-5 days of mine else i would have covered 80% of forestry syllabus.
    GS conventional done,need to revise.current yet to touch in totality.Will do GS in last 5 to 6 days .
    geology is difficult to memorise.
    will revise my notes which have become very bulky(about 5 -200 pages notebooks of summary for both foresty and geology combined) in gap of 8 days after GS paper.
    will do english on 11th.
    i wanted to do specific books initially for sepcific topics but finally bangar for geology and manikandan for forestry are the books i m doing in totality along with mahapatra and some PDFs from internet.

the syllabus completion seems impossible in present circumstances.will have to be selective in geology now as 30-40 % syllabus i will touch for the first time.will be able to cover only basic tthings but wont be able to broaden my horizons to answer the questions,thats worrying as it will fetch average marks.
    In Love With My Life Claudia Sampedro !
  • @Geheimnisse

For which units in geology you found PDFs in internet man?
  • vignesh said:

@Geheimnisse

for scattered sub topics which i dont find in bangar nicely. eg-shiwalik fauna and gondwana flora.though later i found it in BT also.actually i keep google on while reading and if find some topic inadequate in books i just google and make notes in copy.for example while reading seisimicity i just googled major earthquakes in india.so for such small topics i take help of net .

another such topic was some folding related.superposed deformations or something in which an existing fold undergoes folding again .so i just googled to know whats it.

• GS conventional done,need to revise.current yet to touch in totality..

Which specific parts are you focusing on in GS conventional?
    1) History- A,M,M
    2) Polity
    3)Geography

what else?
  • I took agri and math optionals
    Yet to start math
    If i get <10% or not appear in math, will they show all my marks at least, like gk and English(may be beneficial from next yr's point of view )?
    I have given up on this yr IfOs
    Am even considering not appearing at all from cs mains perspective
    Pls advise
    4th mains| iss baar c**d maarenge
  • halfblood said:

GS conventional done,need to revise.current yet to touch in totality..

Which specific parts are you focusing on in GS conventional?
    1) History- A,M,M
    2) Polity
    3)Geography

what else?
    I Have just done static part that i did in prelims.except art n culture and environment .nothing extra.

basically history,specially modern and ancient and indian and world geography to be precise.i wont be able to revise due to paucity of time but since its subjective paper unlike prelims i think i can manage it.yet to do medieval history.yes,did polity from laxmikanth,not updated curret affairs part.

• Geology 20-30% Paper 2 is killing my chances
    Agri 30-40% Paper 2 again

Geology Paper 2 is actually in Latin/Greek nothing repeats and no easy areas, no sureshot parts
    I will be surprised If i am able to attempt 30% of Paper. scoring is toh out of question

@Geheimnisse @vignesh
    any way around in Geology Paper 2 any particular chapters that could be targeted
    New year resolution 2017: keep away from forum
  • @Arkham2

Geology - Paper 1 section B is also difficult. The only easy part in Geology is first 2 units and to some extent 3rd unit.

Don't try to complete the syllabus. Impossible from now. 6 units are there in total. Even if u r able to complete only 4 of them, study them again and again or else you will forget. That's all I can say.

For agri, from which source are you studying?
  • @vignesh

From Satish Chandra.
    Till Babur's death. See if it helps. :)
    docx
    docx
    Medieval India summary.docx
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • @Geheimnisse Do you remember how many pages were available last time for each question in GK paper (Ifos) ?
    In some of the questions word limit is not mentioned. :/
  • edited October 2016
    Arkham2 said:

Geology 20-30% Paper 2 is killing my chances
    Agri 30-40% Paper 2 again

Geology Paper 2 is actually in Latin/Greek nothing repeats and no easy areas, no sureshot parts
    I will be surprised If i am able to attempt 30% of Paper. scoring is toh out of question

@Geheimnisse @ vignesh
    any way around in Geology Paper 2 any particular chapters that could be targeted

bhai paper 2 me last unit chhodkar to sab important lagg rahe hain,sab se questions hai.strange that last unit hi sabse easy unit hai.
    mineraology,crystallography,petrology and mining ore geology are important .bas enivronmental geo bacha. :|

and the sad fact is that these are totally rattamaar topics.u cannot read once and understand and write yourself.u need to do rote learning.

• @DrKingSchultz

Thanks a lot dude. It should help. Thanks again
  • edited October 2016
    When would we get our hall tickets?
    CSE 2016 Indian Police Service ( IPS )
  • edited October 2016
    hope16 said:

@Geheimnisse Do you remember how many pages were available last time for each question in GK paper (Ifos) ?

bhai IFS ka alag se yaad nahi hai.but CSM ka achhe se yaad hai.i think there were same no of pages in both.jis page me question rahta hai usko include kar ke 2.5 to 3 pages for each GS question . @hope16

btw for no of words i just multiply the marks by 10.
  • Dangal ho nahi pa raha hai,very slow pace. :|
  • edited October 2016
    vignesh said:

@Arkham2

Geology - Paper 1 section B is also difficult. The only easy part in Geology is first 2 units and to some extent 3rd unit.

Don't try to complete the syllabus. Impossible from now. 6 units are there in total. Even if u r able to complete only 4 of them, study them again and again or else you will forget. That's all I can say.

For agri, from which source are you studying?

An Introduction to Agriculture AK Vyas and Rishi Raj ( good for Paper 1 but for paper 2 it is kind of OK)
    but I am not the best person to comment on Paper 2 I am still not aware about what are the important areas
    New year resolution 2017: keep away from forum
  • vignesh said:

@Geheimnisse

for scattered sub topics which i dont find in bangar nicely. eg-shiwalik fauna and gondwana flora.though later i found it in BT also.actually i keep google on while reading and if find some topic inadequate in books i just google and make notes in copy.for example while reading seisimicity i just googled major earthquakes in india.so for such small topics i take help of net .

another such topic was some folding related.superposed deformations or something in which an existing fold undergoes folding again .so i just googled to know whats it.

bhai now i remebr.on geology thread i had asked from where to do paleontology topics and thats y i googled for shiwalik fauna and gondawana.and when u replied BT i checked from them also. @vignesh i guess u remebr.i was talking about such sporadic topics only.
  • hope16 said:

@Geheimnisse Do you remember how many pages were available last time for each question in GK paper (Ifos) ?

bhai IFS ka alag se yaad nahi hai.but CSM ka achhe se yaad hai.i think there were same no of pages in both.jis page me question rahta hai usko include kar ke 2.5 to 3 pages for each GS question . @hope16

btw for no of words i just multiply the marks by 10.
    @Geheimnisse Thanks :)
    I write 1.5-2 pages at max (except case studies).
    1 page = ~90 words as per my hand writing.
  • vignesh said:

@Geheimnisse

bhai now i remebr.on geology thread i had asked from where to do paleontology topics and thats y i googled for shiwalik fauna and gondawana.and when u replied BT i checked from them also. @vignesh i guess u remebr.i was talking about such sporadic topics only.
    Yes dude. BT covers Paleontology and the only readymade source we have. The problem with BT is that the notes are according to 2012 syllabus whereas geology was one of the few optionals for which syllabus changed big in the new pattern introduced in 2013. All the best.
  • vignesh said:

vignesh said:

@Geheimnisse

Yes dude. BT covers Paleontology and the only readymade source we have. The problem with BT is that the notes are according to 2012 syllabus whereas geology was one of the few optionals for which syllabus changed big in the new pattern introduced in 2013. All the best.
    i went through few topics of BT.they are not that good.seems just like copy pasted material from here and there.and studying from that untidy xerox is a headache in itself.
  • @Geheimnisse can you please tell me which parts in mahapatra to study not able to correlate with syllabus
    Keep Your Friends Close , But enemies closer..
  • I'm planning to just give all papers and won't study specifically for English and GS.
    For Forestry and Agriculture, I'll give just 2 days each before the exam. Till then no preparation, only civil services mains :)
  • edited October 2016
    naujawan said:

@Geheimnisse can you please tell me which parts in mahapatra to study not able to correlate with syllabus

Bhai ihave 2 books of mahaptra.one is textbook of physical geology in which all chapters have to be done.at max u may leave the last 4-5 chapters in which various landforms formed by rivers,glaciers have been explained.rest all are in syllabus.u may find them in bangar also,but in short.

in the textbook of geology there is only paleontology which is not in bangar,that too in very insufficient quantity.u may also refer crystallography chapter from it,but its also there in bangar.

in short,there is almost everything in bangar which is there in mahaptra,and much more except may be some sporadic topics.
  • vignesh said:

vignesh said:

@Geheimnisse

i went through few topics of BT.they are not that good.seems just like copy pasted material from here and there.and studying from that untidy xerox is a headache in itself.
    paleontology is in PK Mukherji book.Also, I found some paleontology notes in examrace site.
  • Agri guys, what sources are you using? The readymade Agri book for IFS is inadequate and books like AK Vyas are very basic. I'm doing evolution material but I don't think i'll be able to complete more than 70% of the syllabus.
  • cReal said:

vignesh said:

vignesh said:

@Geheimnisse

paleontology is in PK Mukherji book.Also, I found some paleontology notes in examrace site.
    thanks bro.wil see if i can get that book arranged as where as i live geology books are not available and in using flipkart amazon it will take 7- 10 days to reach.
  • @cReal

Dude, what arthe other units for which PK Mukherjee book is ideal?
  • vignesh said:

@cReal

both books cover same parts of the syllabus (except paleontology being in Mukherjee). In fact, you will feel Bangar book to be a concise reproduction of Mukherjee in bullet points. :smiley:

particularly Crystallography, optical properties of minerals, engg geology, formation of minerals etc. are well explained in Mukherjee. For stratigraphy, Bangar is better, coz it is mostly not for conceptual understanding and Bangar has made it concise.
  • cReal said:

vignesh said:

@cReal

both books cover same parts of the syllabus (except paleontology being in Mukherjee). In fact, you will feel Bangar book to be a concise reproduction of Mukherjee in bullet points. :smiley:

particularly Crystallography, optical properties of minerals, engg geology, formation of minerals etc. are well explained in Mukherjee. For stratigraphy, Bangar is better, coz it is mostly not for conceptual understanding and Bangar has made it concise.
    Thank you bro. Let me stick with Bangar. For Paleontology I've to depend on Brilliant and internet.
  • geology ne dimag kharab kar rakha hai. :s
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog