43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Should Audit Accounts Service be given preference over IRS Customs in light of GST?

Sirs and Ma'ams,

With the coming of GST, people are saying that IRS Customs & Excise powers will be reduced vastly. In this light, will it be bette if we opt for IAAS over IRS ( C & CE) in the DAF?

@DrKingSchultz @Neyawn
Writing CSE Mains 2016
·

Comments

• VivekJ2 said:

Sirs and Ma'ams,

With the coming of GST, people are saying that IRS Customs & Excise powers will be reduced vastly. In this light, will it be bette if we opt for IAAS over IRS ( C & CE) in the DAF?

@DrKingSchultz @Neyawn

I just got off the phone with a person with the same query. However, I do not think IRS ( C & CE) should be put below IAAS at any cost. A primary reason being that a lot of powers of officialdom are based on culture and not on actual powers.

So even if the powers are gone, I do not think the respect for the job dwindles immediately.

Secondly, designations in IRS are pretty cool. You get to be Assistant Commissioner. I am not sure how designations play in IAAS.

The best person to answer this will be moderator @deusAdeeb who is in IRS. Also I think @Akita can answer this. He is also in IRS.

Can you guys help?

Thanks in advance.

And Thanks @VivekJ2 for asking a relevant question after many days!
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • edited October 2016
    I have Customs as 4th pref. And IAAS as 9th. :D :D
    Always choose Revenue service above Audit and Accounts.
    In the former, you demand accountability from businesses, in the latter, from government departments. IAS/IPS dushman ban jaayenge tumhare if you do your work honestly in IAAS. :tongue:
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: (?)
    Literature of English Language.
    Dentist, bounty hunter, aspiring diplomat. Opinionated.
    ·
  • I had placed IA&AS at 3rd place last year. Midway, i thought i made a mistake.i thought I should have placed it at 2nd place as i was no longer interested in IFS due to issues with parents' health. Luckily my marks were bad enough for me to miss IFS and I found myself in IA&AS. Pretty happy and looking forward to a chilled out life in IA&AS.
    ·
  • Why havent you submitted your daf already, dont wait for too long!
    ·
  • Is it true that in delhi,and only in Delhi, centre is allotted as per your DAF filling date and not as per your roll number???
    Decision toss karke liya tha, toss ka result dekh kar nahin...
    MAINS-2016 (Med Sci)- Not Qualified
    Now, Prelims 2017...
    ·
  • I have Customs as 4th pref. And IAAS as 9th. :D :D
    In the former, you demand accountability from businesses, in the latter, from government departments. IAS/IPS dushman ban jaayenge tumhare if you do your work honestly in IAAS. :tongue:

thanks , will go for it.
    Writing CSE Mains 2016
    ·
  • Bbaba said:

I had placed IA&AS at 3rd place last year. Midway, i thought i made a mistake.i thought I should have placed it at 2nd place as i was no longer interested in IFS due to issues with parents' health. Luckily my marks were bad enough for me to miss IFS and I found myself in IA&AS. Pretty happy and looking forward to a chilled out life in IA&AS.

Sir, any particular reason why you didnt choose IRS?
    Writing CSE Mains 2016
    ·
  • Why havent you submitted your daf already, dont wait for too long!

Sir, was just waiting for final verdict from the forum...
    Writing CSE Mains 2016
    ·
  • If you want public contact , power , recognition etc., go for customs. For faster promotions, peaceful life, anonymity etc. go for IAAS.
    परित्राणाय साधूनां विनाशाय च दुष्कृताम् ।
    धर्मसंस्थापनार्थाय सम्भवामि युगे युगे |
    IRS(Customs and Central Excise) Probationer
    ·
  • GST what I have got after some research-

-a new sector ie trading, including retail, wholesale, distributors etc will be added to IRS profile which does not have it for now.
    -but out of the older manufacturing one,( of excise), would somewhat decrease due to dual control above 1.5 crore limit by states, previously center had exclusive control over the same.
    -service tax not significantly impacted, the current tax base has remained the same but the new ones will be divided among center and states so may be a bit lesser growth in new addition of service tax assesses.
    -customs, again same, may increase in importance if gst causes boom in economy and international trade.
    - so the main trade off is between gain in first point vs loss in second one ie trading vs manufacturing. I don't have stats but intuitively I think no of traders are quite high compared to no of manufacturers so overall it would be gain in numbers and obviously scope would increase by addition of the new sector ie trading.

Some more points-
    -the indirect tax collections to center would hugely increase , as then on every sale cgst is levied equally to sgst, plus igst is a bonus for center. So if the collection is criteria to decide importance of a service, I guess cce would be 3 to 4 times more important than IRS IT (but note that not all of this indirect tax collection wound be done by centres' IRS, some would be done by states' officers as well)
    -in the intelligence, adjudication, GST secretariat, center would have a leading role.
    -but none of the things would be exclusive under cce except may be customs. Even the IT infra would be shared with states.
    -In case CCE becomes an integrated or all India service, then it would have exclusive control over all trading, manufacturing activities and in that case powers would increase manifold. But chances of the same. I don't know.
    ·

IAAS has the fastest promotion after IAS. Yes its true. The cadre size is very small and very well structured.
    ·
  • rastplyr said:

GST what I have got after some research-

-a new sector ie trading, including retail, wholesale, distributors etc will be added to IRS profile which does not have it for now.
    -but out of the older manufacturing one,( of excise), would somewhat decrease due to dual control above 1.5 crore limit by states, previously center had exclusive control over the same.
    -service tax not significantly impacted, the current tax base has remained the same but the new ones will be divided among center and states so may be a bit lesser growth in new addition of service tax assesses.
    -customs, again same, may increase in importance if gst causes boom in economy and international trade.
    - so the main trade off is between gain in first point vs loss in second one ie trading vs manufacturing. I don't have stats but intuitively I think no of traders are quite high compared to no of manufacturers so overall it would be gain in numbers and obviously scope would increase by addition of the new sector ie trading.

Some more points-
    -the indirect tax collections to center would hugely increase , as then on every sale cgst is levied equally to sgst, plus igst is a bonus for center. So if the collection is criteria to decide importance of a service, I guess cce would be 3 to 4 times more important than IRS IT (but note that not all of this indirect tax collection wound be done by centres' IRS, some would be done by states' officers as well)
    -in the intelligence, adjudication, GST secretariat, center would have a leading role.
    -but none of the things would be exclusive under cce except may be customs. Even the IT infra would be shared with states.
    -In case CCE becomes an integrated or all India service, then it would have exclusive control over all trading, manufacturing activities and in that case powers would increase manifold. But chances of the same. I don't know.

Well researched!
    Writing CSE Mains 2016
    ·

IAAS has the fastest promotion after IAS. Yes its true. The cadre size is very small and very well structured.
    Sir, can you tell what designations do we get in IAAS?
    Writing CSE Mains 2016
    ·
  • edited October 2016

I have Customs as 4th pref. And IAAS as 9th. :D :D

Hmm, but who cares.
    I don't want to spend my life scrutinizing account books if I can avoid it. :)
    IFS it will be.
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: (?)
    Literature of English Language.
    Dentist, bounty hunter, aspiring diplomat. Opinionated.
    ·
  • However, lot of new things will come into the understanding in future but it is obvious that after GST, IRS-CCE will be linked with more aggressive outlook with great infrastructure, particularly nationwide WAN linked computerization. Central Administration of concerned revenue ( CCE) will be in great control to shape, control and modifying the highly hopeful revenue generating system for this country. GOI is going to take highly motivated approach for IRS-CCE. A lot of money is on anvil to be sanctioned for IRS-CCE for the infrastructure and integrated operating system and great field jobs. Whoever has kept IRS-CCE above IRS-IT shall not be disappointed in the long run to my understanding.

However, all Civil Service jobs are to serve GOI with varying degree of freedom.
    Quote ·
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google