[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

how to build essay writing skills ?

How to build Essay Writing Skills ? As it is very important from the mains point of view? one should join coaching or do practice at home?
·

Comments

• esaay writing skill is considered important for clearing Mains...to develop a skill for better essay writing , you need a proper guidance with a lot of practice. i dont think there will be a separate batch for essay writing...so you should search well before joining for mains batch anywhere
    ·
  • If you're thinking that this seems like a lot to remember, you're right. But focusing on one or two areas at a time will help you steadily improve your writing skills. If you need more help along the way, try our best essay writing service.
    ·
  • First you need to have a topic. The topic that you choose to discuss on your essay will be the tipping point of the whole essay perse. You need to have enough knowledge about the things that you want to tackle in order for you to complete your essay as a beginner. If you can't write essay don't be afraid to ask for help from the expert themselves. There are a lot of top quality essay writing service online, you just need to find the right company that meets your standard and you budget like the experts from Top essay writing review. Just be wise in choosing the right expert and make sure they are legit.
    ·
  • Get a good GRE essay website....They are great in tutoring about good essays...topics might not relevant to UPSC..but surely you will get a skill how to handle essays....Besides wide reading and judicious thinking are very important in essays.
    ·
  • jal said:

Get a good GRE essay website....They are great in tutoring about good essays...topics might not relevant to UPSC..but surely you will get a skill how to handle essays....Besides wide reading and judicious thinking are very important in essays.

Cam u lost some good links u have referred to?
    ·
  • How to build Essay Writing Skills ? As it is very important from the mains point of view? one should join coaching or do practice at home?

Bhai essay writing is exam process ka sabse last part hai i.e. dekho aapne optional prep kr lia , newspaper study kia poore saal , optional and gs ki writing practice kr li phir in sabka conclusion essay hota hai so no need of coaching and guidence ..........
    ( personal experience upsc 2013 mains 130 marks , upsc 2015 marks 135 )
    All the best
    ·
  • How to build Essay Writing Skills ? As it is very important from the mains point of view? one should join coaching or do practice at home?

Bhai essay writing is exam process ka sabse last part hai i.e. dekho aapne optional prep kr lia , newspaper study kia poore saal , optional and gs ki writing practice kr li phir in sabka conclusion essay hota hai so no need of coaching and guidence ..........
    All the best
    A friend of mine couldn't make it to the final list last year, by just six marks(general category!). In sociology he had 230 and in gs around 380. Want to know his essay marks? 70 something!
    Essay writing is a skill. You may have it, but not everybody. If someone feels like he lacks in that area, he has to practice and develop it.
    about writing essays, the best advice may be to make it interesting. As mrunal's RTI query has proved it, there is no answer key to essays. It's totally subjective. Then how can we make our essays interesting? For an answer to this, consider yourself as the evaluator! What kind of an essay would you like to read?- in my case, it's those which provide me with knowledge, and doesn't make me sleep at the same time. When it comes to knowledge, all of us clearing the gs prelims,will be having the adequate knowledge to write an essay. But to make it interesting you have to do a bit more.
    If you have seen AL gore's an inconvenient truth, you might have noticed an example he states in the beginning about ice melting. He said that for the first time in the history, we are noticing polar bears dead by drowning. They are strong swimmers, but due to melting of floating ice masses, they can't find temporary 'rest houses', and they drown. Now, we all know that the ice caps are melting; but with an example like this, the point becomes much more striking. Dr.shashi tharoor's speeches are a treasure chest of such examples. Notice how he connects princess Diana's death to globalisation and tulsi to India's soft power. These are 'eye opening examples'. Now these guys don't make them up. They look out for such, in news. We can do the same too. Whenever a very interesting news or incident related to our areas of concern comes up, make at least a mental note of it. These can be from documentaries, YouTube videos, movies, mythology etc.
    For example, in this year's cyber space essay, I was able to talk about(excuse me, if I sound boastful) the us boy who asked siri about how to dispose of a dead body and the answer siri gave to it; secret dating website related suicides; south Asian couple who let their new born die, because they were busy building a virtual family! Etc (I had an intuition from previous year essay papers that Upsc has got an obsession with S&T n future of humans etc)
    For the brain storming, you can use PESTLE analysis. But everybody does that, so to be different you will have to apply your own techniques like the above.plus, use simple language. Make sure your writing is legible. Write about one point in one paragraph with a suitable example to reinforce it, if possible. In the introductory passage itself, make a hint towards your stand on the issue; now give supporting points in the coming paragraphs with opposing views points too and then the conclusion that with all the above evidences, it's obvious that etc...

·

All the best
    A friend of mine couldn't make it to the final list last year, by just six marks(general category!). In sociology he had 230 and in gs around 380. Want to know his essay marks? 70 something!
    Essay writing is a skill. You may have it, but not everybody. If someone feels like he lacks in that area, he has to practice and develop it.
    about writing essays, the best advice may be to make it interesting. As mrunal's RTI query has proved it, there is no answer key to essays. It's totally subjective. Then how can we make our essays interesting? For an answer to this, consider yourself as the evaluator! What kind of an essay would you like to read?- in my case, it's those which provide me with knowledge, and doesn't make me sleep at the same time. When it comes to knowledge, all of us clearing the gs prelims,will be having the adequate knowledge to write an essay. But to make it interesting you have to do a bit more.
    If you have seen AL gore's an inconvenient truth, you might have noticed an example he states in the beginning about ice melting. He said that for the first time in the history, we are noticing polar bears dead by drowning. They are strong swimmers, but due to melting of floating ice masses, they can't find temporary 'rest houses', and they drown. Now, we all know that the ice caps are melting; but with an example like this, the point becomes much more striking. Dr.shashi tharoor's speeches are a treasure chest of such examples. Notice how he connects princess Diana's death to globalisation and tulsi to India's soft power. These are 'eye opening examples'. Now these guys don't make them up. They look out for such, in news. We can do the same too. Whenever a very interesting news or incident related to our areas of concern comes up, make at least a mental note of it. These can be from documentaries, YouTube videos, movies, mythology etc.
    For example, in this year's cyber space essay, I was able to talk about(excuse me, if I sound boastful) the us boy who asked siri about how to dispose of a dead body and the answer siri gave to it; secret dating website related suicides; south Asian couple who let their new born die, because they were busy building a virtual family! Etc (I had an intuition from previous year essay papers that Upsc has got an obsession with S&T n future of humans etc)
    For the brain storming, you can use PESTLE analysis. But everybody does that, so to be different you will have to apply your own techniques like the above.plus, use simple language. Make sure your writing is legible. Write about one point in one paragraph with a suitable example to reinforce it, if possible. In the introductory passage itself, make a hint towards your stand on the issue; now give supporting points in the coming paragraphs with opposing views points too and then the conclusion that with all the above evidences, it's obvious that etc...

Bro i respect your views
    Mere kahne ka matlab simple sa ye tha ki agr aapke pass chizo ki undrstsbding hai jo ki optional and gs se aati basically to aap easily essay likh skte .....bas chizo ko idhr udhr se lake connect krke likh do ...ache no aa jayenge .....
    Anyway all the best. :)
    ·
  • Tudor said:

I have no idea why people are replying to this 4 month old thread? :|
    The guy must have already written mains.
    Haha.
    @chinesehero Lol. You just replied. Haha. Should have seen that the post that revived this thread was an advertisement,. Haha.

#Good advices

Bhai jada dhyan na dia upsc aspirants hai bhavnao mai bah jate dekhte hi .....:p
    ·

All the best

Bro i respect your views
    Mere kahne ka matlab simple sa ye tha ki agr aapke pass chizo ki undrstsbding hai jo ki optional and gs se aati basically to aap easily essay likh skte .....bas chizo ko idhr udhr se lake connect krke likh do ...ache no aa jayenge .....
    Anyway all the best. :)
    K. Thanks.Same to you :)

·
  • Tudor said:

I have no idea why people are replying to this 4 month old thread? :|
    The guy must have already written mains.
    Haha.
    @chinesehero Lol. You just replied. Haha. Should have seen that the post that revived this thread was an advertisement,. Haha.

#Good advices

Didn't notice :/ good advice indeed!

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog