[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Can anyone tell that which coaching classes to opt fro SOCIOLOGY optional.

Vajiram and Ravi has closed the admissions for optionals. Which class to opt for Sociology optional now. Please suggest.
·

Comments

• Upendra sir is very famous but i had a friend and according to him its not worth it.
    he doesnt even give you notes and it depends on you whatever you can manage to take down. In a class of more than 100, he does not even use mic and no study material provided. he will just give you a list of readings that you will have to purchase.. So it kind of gets scattered.
    I think you should talk in Vajiram once because they are going to start optional only in December for the September GS batch. You might manage a seat.
    Aditya Mongra is also quite popular for sociology.
    ·
  • @sanjana007 thank you so much for your feedback.
    ·
  • talk to ravindran sir u will get admission
    ·
  • Upendra sir is very famous but i had a friend and according to him its not worth it.
    he doesnt even give you notes and it depends on you whatever you can manage to take down. In a class of more than 100, he does not even use mic and no study material provided. he will just give you a list of readings that you will have to purchase.. So it kind of gets scattered.
    I think you should talk in Vajiram once because they are going to start optional only in December for the September GS batch. You might manage a seat.

As a student of Upendra sir I would like to clarify upon few things mentioned in the post by @sanjana007 so that the right facts are conveyed to fellow aspirants.I condemn the third-hand information provided by @sanjana007 .

** Upendra sir uses a mike without fail in every single class

** All the important points are dictated at write-able speed. Students used to make running notes face no issues in noting down points from the other discussions.Discussions are no where dictated

** UIAS printed material handouts ( 3-4 ) are given to all students free of cost along with numerous selected articles,essays relevant for paper 2. The handouts are of excellent quality & been referred by most of the toppers

** Sir has marked relevant portions of books like - Bottomore,Harlambos,Ritzer, IGNOU MA & others. He makes sure that they are available at the photostat shop close to his institute. ( One has to buy them)

Apart from that,I haven't come across any sensible /successful candidate who has taken classroom coaching from anyone other than the BIG 2 (Mahapatra,Upendra)
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
    ·

@sanjana007
    Konse upendra ke yaha coaching krli? I second @taliban , I have also taken his classes and each nd every point of taliban is correct. Though I must say he does not give enough emphasis on paper2 but paper2 hai hi aisa :)
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
    ·
  • I have personally not taken any coaching per se for Sociology, but I have read the notes of all the bigwigs of Sociology including Upendra Sir, Mahapatra and Praveen Kishore. I can with all honesty say that just by reading Upendra Sir's notes, I could gauge the amount of knowledge he posses and various dimensions he provides for a topic.

Interlinking Paper 1 and Paper 2 very creatively is something which I found very frequently in UIAS written notes. e.g linkages between Historical Materialism of Marx and AR Desai's analysis of Social Background of Indian National Movement.

I assume that if the notes are so organised and well fleshed out, actual classroom experience would be even better. The specifics of classes you can figure by speaking to someone on the forum who has been his past student.
    ·
  • Aayush I'm staying in Blore and will be coming in Dec for Upendra sir's coaching.
    I'll be taking a room nearby safdargunj enclave where sir conducts his classes.Lemme know if you're interested.
    ·
  • @aman131 bro, i am reading crack ias notes for paper 2 and i find them really good. Have you gone through these notes? whats your feedback?
    ·
  • deepdev said:

Aayush I'm staying in Blore and will be coming in Dec for Upendra sir's coaching.
    I'll be taking a room nearby safdargunj enclave where sir conducts his classes.Lemme know if you're interested.

Hi, I have taken sir's classes in april. Due to some reason, i was not able to attend the lectures for paper 2. I talked to sir. He said that i could attend paper 2 with december batch. Since, I will be attending paper 2 only, I will come around jan end or feb beginning. Actually there is hostel near sir's class. You can talk to sir about the room. I wish to stay there or anywhere nearby within walking distance. If you are going in Dec, can u let me know about the availability of the rooms?
    ·

Please don't feed misinformation based on a third person's experience.Here are some clarifications. He uses mic (Anyway he is quite loud for the room in which he teaches). Regarding paper 1, he can give you a clarity which only few teachers can boast of. Paper 2, i am yet to see, but hoping it would be same. And he does provide printed notes. He is a bit fast in his lecture but most ppl manage to write the relevant stuff. He gives a break of 15-20 mins in between. Whatever, is left out, you can copy from your peers. About others i don't know so can't comment. I have some idea based on my friend's opinion, but i would rather not comment because that will perpetuate the same mistake as you have done. Hope this helps.
    ·
  • Upendra is very good for conceptual clarity especially paper 1...
    ·
  • Hey guys,
    Please give me upendra sirs contact no. Even iam planning to join the december batch. I have contacted a number got it from his facebook account. But not sure wheter its genuine one or not. Also before joining sirs classes should i study few topics beforehand, what should be the prerequisites before attending his classses?
    ·
  • @"Aayush Choudhary" Both teachers are good in certain aspects. But I would differ with guys above while speaking all good about Upendra. His paper 2 is not that good and in the recent few years his quality of teaching has come down significantly. Mohapatra in Vajiram is not perfect either but he's lot better than Upendra.
    You can talk to Vajiram(ravindran sir) and request for an admission, i am sure he will consider it.
    ·
  • I think UPSC needs a good planner not an academican and here Bibhash Sir is more suitable from point of IAS examination than the two veterans being talked about. This year, in CSE 2015 exam Nikhil Pathak (IPS) got selected in Civil Services (107 rank) from his classroom in very first attempt. He had completed his graduation from KMC with political science in 2015 & appeared in CS with sociology optional.

His teaching style is totally UPSC exam focussed. Completes the course in just 2.5 months, instead of unnecessarily stretching it for 4 or 5 months. This will help you save time for general studies or revision period.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog