43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

How many mocks?

How many mocks should one ideally solve before Prelims 2017 in order to be in the safe zone? Seniors kindly share your experience.
·

Comments

• 101 :wink:

Bhai, it depends on you and varies for every person according to his/her level of preparation. However, in my opinion solving one good test series is a must in order to gauge your accuracy rates and do a SWOT of your preparedness. Overdoing this and not revising basics can backfire big time. Ideally, one should be confident before the real thing. No amount of mocks can match the D-day experience that's for sure. So, do as many mocks that make you confident with your preparation level, at the same time giving you enough time to revise and re-revise. Don't make attempting any xyz number of mocks as the end in itself. They are just a means. I hope this would help. However, a word of caution, I am only 1-failed-attempt-old aspirant in this game of upsc, so wait for others opinion too. :smiley:
    Falak ko zidd hai jahan bijjliyaan girane ki,
    Humein bhi zidd hai wahin aashiyaan banane ki.

First attempt 2016. Second attempt - 2017

Prelim - 1, Mains - 0, Interview - 0
    ·
  • Thank You. Can others please enlighten as to the number of mocks one should solve before prelims?
    ·
  • At the end of the day u have to rely on your strategy, u have to think and plan for yourself depending upon your strengths and weakness. Nobody can help you clear all the stages of this exam except your own wisdom, understanding and planning. Think for yourself, this is the only way to clear the long road to upsc. Take help and advice from others but that should not be taken as an end in itself.
    ·
  • edited October 2016
    Loll, I'll give you a very scientific answer
    First ponder over the estimated cutoff for CSP 2016, then to that number add 20 marks , then think of any number between 110 and 200 , now add the previously obtained figure(cutoff +20) to this number ( any number between 110-200 as per your choosing) , now devide the new figure you got by 3 , there you have it the precise number of mocks you need to attempt before prelims 2017,

PS . just kidding dude
    ·
  • edited October 2016
    Though I havent given Pre yet, I have different views on this... (Seniors especially @hope16 @DrKingSchultz @Kek Please correct bhai...)

Giving mocks without preparation is nothing but waste... I have vision pre, insights, baba and civils daily with me... But I'm planning to cover everything by december and then give mock tests...
    :wink:
    So just try to give as many mocks as possible...Or watch Arthika shukla's strategy on youtube!
    Its Not What You Did These Days That Matter!
    It Is Final 100 Days Countdown That Matters!
    ·
  • Though I havent given Pre yet, I have different views on this... (Seniors especially @ hope16 @ DrKingSchultz @ Kek Please correct bhai...)

Giving mocks without preparation is nothing but waste... I have vision pre, insights, baba and civils daily with me... But I'm planning to cover everything by december and then give mock tests...
    So just try to give as many mocks as possible...Or watch Arthika shukla's strategy on youtube!

Don't fall for this crap.
    She is downplaying a lot of things.

As far as mocks are concerned, some appear without taking any, some take more than 50. People of both kinds succeed as well as fail. There is no set criterion.
    Keep on taking mocks until you are satisfied with your level of prep and you start scoring 110+ in them.
    However, reading and revision should not take a backseat in the process.
    Prelims: 3. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: (?)
    Literature of English Language.
    Dentist, bounty hunter, aspiring diplomat. Opinionated.
    ·
  • ˆˆ
    She said she never scored a 100 in insights test and got 114 when cutoff was 107.3. I fell for that and was happy with my 100-110 scores. Except Prelims isnt that chill anymore. Pass hi hona hai attitude won't work.

How do you all revise? Re read or proper mugging up? Today is Sunday I should be revising but I am procrastinating more than usual because I don't really know how revision is done. :neutral:

Also, 110 in Vision's test will be a great challenge. But challenge accepted!
    ·
  • Thank You all for your comments.
    ·
  • I am almost always unable to complete the syllabus. I was wondering if joining vision mocks from mid nov for both prelims and mains simultaneously , would be of help.kidly share your insights. I am primarily concerned with bringing in some discipline in my preparation
    ·
  • firefly said:

I am almost always unable to complete the syllabus. I was wondering if joining vision mocks from mid nov for both prelims and mains simultaneously , would be of help.kidly share your insights. I am primarily concerned with bringing in some discipline in my preparation

Test Series do allow you to have a discipline, just like gyms help you have discipline. If you follow them well. That also applies to free initiatives.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • thank u so much!
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google