How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!

Chemistry Optional For UPSC Mains

edited September 2015 in Physics & Chemistry
@ALL with chemistry optional share your strategy for mains
@sauraviiser @tauseef @Sam_Brigenza

Comments

• @sauraviiser download handwritten notes of abhijeet agarwal
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=dee9c27c9bd84af5&id=DEE9C27C9BD84AF5!102#cid=DEE9C27C9BD84AF5&id=DEE9C27C9BD84AF5!134

according to my research for paper-1, his hand written notes are sufficient. you can supplement these notes with some text book,their name already mentioned in the blog.
  • @sauraviiser @Sam_Brigenza @tauseef
    question no. 8(a) paper-1 CS 2010, 10 marks
    give a short account of S-N compound.
    please tell me what is S-N compound and which book should i refer for it?
  • @sauraviiser @Sam_Brigenza @tauseef
    question no. 8(a) paper-1 CS 2010, 10 marks
    give a short account of S-N compound.
    please tell me what is S-N compound and which book should i refer for it?

JD lee page-575 compounds of sulphur and nitrogen-preparation,properties and structure of SxNx.one example is S4N4,S2N2 etc

• edited August 2013
    We can complete one paper regularly .Let's start with p-2 and CSE 2012

http://www.upsc.gov.in/questionpaper/2012/CSM12/27-11-2012/CHEMISTARY_2.PDF

I have doubts in Question numbers-

1(ii)-product is in jerry march p-157 but what is the mechanism?
    2b(ii)/(iii)/(iv)
    7(c)

Rest were ok
  • @Sam_Brigenza

i have solved your doubt please see the attachment and let me know if you found any thing wrong.
    if you have solved the paper just provide hint for every question if possible for you and i am going to solve this paper and if i will find anything that contradict you i will let you know.
    DSC00851.JPG
    3456 x 4608 - 6M
  • Learn about claisen condensation from clayedon. U would b able to solve ques 2. And for 7 learn about cis trans isomers and their spatial orientation frm the same. Soon ill upload books to be strictly covered fr reaction mechanism. I m a bit busy these days so bear wid me. Once started....ill give minute attention...thanku all
  • @tauseef see my solution and let me know anything wrong.
  • @Diem
    Where is the solution?
    If possible mail m@ tauseefiit@gmail.com
  • @Tauseef see the attachment file in the reply that i have given to @Sam_Brigenza

i have mailed it to you also
  • edited August 2013
    @diem

In 7c i think we have to do in terms of spatial arrangement as @Tauseef mention.Rest our answers are matching.

@tauseef
    i dont think it is claisen but reformatsky reaction.
  • @Tauseef

Can you post the solution to 7c.
  • @sam
    Reformatsky is in first part. I was talking about second part...to get product c
  • @Sam_Brigenza :
    question no. 7 (c): I have shown spatial arrangement through wedge and dash please check it.
    This question is directly taken from Morrison and Boyd chapter-29 question no.-4, problem is given at the end of chapter 29.
    This question deals with NGP effect of bromine on carbocation formed due to H+ attack this leads common intermediate which give same product at the end ie trans 1,2-dibromo cyclohexane. I hope this will satisfy you and if you are able see any other dimension please share it
  • edited August 2013
    @diem

in my book NGP is ch-28.For one product (trans) NGP is correct but i think second(cis) proceeds through carbocation mechanism.please verify it. i am copying exact lines from morrison boyd.check it in your book and let me know if there is anything wrong in my answer.

But in cyclohexane derivatives, 1,2-substitu- ents are anti to each other only when they both occupy axial positions possible only for trans substituents (Fig. 28.66). Hence, only the trans chloride shows the
    neighboring group effect, anchimeric assistance from sulfur. The cls isomer reacts without anchimeric assistance; through its electron-withdrawing inductive effect, sulfur slows down formation of the carbonium ion, and thus the rate of reaction.

• @Sam_Brigenza
    you are right

trans reactant give product via NGP mechanism while cis compound follow carbocation mechanism,both compound give same intermediate hence end product is same for both compound.
  • @ diem

in presentation also i think we have to show in terms of axial and equatorial chair forms instead of wedge and dash as it will make the mechanism more clear.what do you say?

now let us move to another question paper. IFS 2012.i will post any doubts i have.
  • @Sam_Brigenza
    if you have solved other question then please provide just hint (only few key words) so that i can verify my answer and if any doubt arises then we will discuss it.
  • @Sam_Brigenza: axial and equatorial chair forms are always better than wedge and dash, it will give examiner clear picture that you have very good command and understanding of chemistry and we may get some bonus marks :)

Paper-2: questions require discussion and may be more than one product /approach possible that's why i am asking for your hint.

you are very good at chemistry ^:)^. Must have done higher studies in chemistry.
  • @ diem

i will post all my answers in a day or two as i am doing paper 1 now.

thank you for the appreciation i dont have any formal degree in chemistry but have taken the subject only because it is scoring.I was much better and comfortable in my other optional public administration but dropped it due to its uncertainty and subjective nature.
  • Hi @diem, @Sam_Brigenza, @Tauseef
    hope you guys got through.Please let us know about your result.Thanks!
  • Hi @diem, @Sam_Brigenza , @Tauseef , @sauraviiser and @ALL others with Chemistry Optional
    The one drive link where Abhijeet Agrawal's notes were shared seems to have expired. Does anyone of you have the notes downloaded with you and can please share it with me ? emailid- smriti.k.pandey@gmail.com
  • Hi @diem, @Sam_Brigenza , @Tauseef , @sauraviiser and @ALL others with Chemistry Optional
    The one drive link where Abhijeet Agrawal's notes were shared seems to have expired. Does anyone of you have the notes downloaded with you and can please share it with me ? emailid- smriti.k.pandey@gmail.com
    anyone with abhijeet's notes?

Rise, awake and stop not till the goal is achieved!
  • hi you guys have any idea of DIAS class notes of chemistry. Are they available with Photostat shops in delhi.

I have Abhijeet's notes but they are very bulky.If you want some specific topic, then i can upload,

Optional -Chemistry
    "Its better to be late than never"
  • Optional -Chemistry
    "Its better to be late than never"
  • Well you guys just got lucky...found some link here, some gentleman already uploaded them

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7XnKMRuGFp9dmVnbWZwN0c1LVk&usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7XnKMRuGFp9eHAxZ19XZzRrR1E&usp=sharing
    tumhare previous attempts me kitne kitne marks aaye chem me
  • does anybody have pdf of KALSI for spectroscopy...plz share...
  • Did anyone purchased chemistry material of DIAS institute ...price mentioned 22500 ...is it worth to purchase ? ...as we know BT material available in market in which questions solved till 2005 ....i am basically looking for solved questions after 2005 ....
    Batao yaaron ???? Any chemistry optional whatsaap group ??
  • Disprin said:

Did anyone purchased chemistry material of DIAS institute ...price mentioned 22500 ...is it worth to purchase ? ...as we know BT material available in market in which questions solved till 2005 ....i am basically looking for solved questions after 2005 ....
    Batao yaaron ???? Any chemistry optional whatsaap group ??

From where to buy it bro?
    be a UPSC killer than a UPSC lover
  • I am preparing for 2018 Prelims and decided to change my optional from Chemistry to Anthropology. I want to sell my Chemistry books which are in near new condition. Some have not even been unpacked. I am attaching the pictures and my expected prices.

Contact/Whatsapp: 9971690017
    pdf
    pdf
    Chemistry Books.pdf
    Chemistry Books_Image.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 536K
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog