MN vs ORN & nearby areas

Good morning friends,

After looking around in ORN I have found that rents in this area are very much on the higher side. Really cant afford a costly accommodation at this point. So, I began searching about Mukherjee Nagar but in the forum itself aspirants have mentioned that,
1). MN is not safe for female aspirants like stated in this thread http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/5376/rajendra-place-or-mukherjee-nagar-which-place-is-best-for-ias-aspirant/p2. Is this the reality or is there any truth in it? Female aspirants living in the area currently please help me out here as we are a couple and need to shift by the end of this month anyhow.
2). If it is unsafe then which areas to avoid in MN? or are there any safe localities in MN?

Regards

Comments

• ORN is totally an upsc hub unlike mukherjee nagar which is a mixture of upsc plus ssc ... Plus if ur medium is English then it's better to b in ORN as major coachings r here....yes ORN is expensive...so better option is to find flat in Patel nagar if ur budget is up to 10000 per month or if u still want more budgeted rooms then u can look at ramesh nagar or uttam nagar...both r at distance of 15 min by metro from ORN n way cheaper places .... so don't restrict only to ORN n try to venture out as metro has made distances obsolete
  • rct said:

ORN is totally an upsc hub unlike mukherjee nagar which is a mixture of upsc plus ssc ... Plus if ur medium is English then it's better to b in ORN as major coachings r here....yes ORN is expensive...so better option is to find flat in Patel nagar if ur budget is up to 10000 per month or if u still want more budgeted rooms then u can look at ramesh nagar or uttam nagar...both r at distance of 15 min by metro from ORN n way cheaper places .... so don't restrict only to ORN n try to venture out as metro has made distances obsolete

We are done wih the coaching part. Now looking for a cheaper accommodation. ORN is costly so it is out of the question. MN because study material is easily available like ORN. As far as Patel Nagar is concerned one will have to specially come to ORN for material via metro. Distance is not an issue but still a case where one can scan the material available in shops during a random evening stroll through the market is preferable than a trip via metro.
  • Who said bhai mn is not safe for females..i am stayiing here from last 2 yrs..i have not heard any case..girls roam freely here after 10 also..
  • Bhai house owners kameene hai..kuch kaam nahi kerte bas yahi ghar ke paiso se baith ke khate hai..ha pet gandhi vihar or nehru vihar mat chale jana wo bekar area hai
  • Hi , which area is good nearby Mukherjee Nagar , I am planning to take 2 bhk flat(on rent) there..pls suggest..
  • Atharva said:

Hi , which area is good nearby Mukherjee Nagar , I am planning to take 2 bhk flat(on rent) there..pls suggest..

Mujherjee nagar, parmanand colony, indira vihar and west parmanand/west mukherjee nagar.
    Avoid gandhi vihar and nehru vihar.
  • edited September 2016
    abhi44 said:

Atharva said:

Hi , which area is good nearby Mukherjee Nagar , I am planning to take 2 bhk flat(on rent) there..pls suggest..

Mujherjee nagar, parmanand colony, indira vihar and west parmanand/west mukherjee nagar.
    +1

Outram Line near mukherjee nagar is very good place .
    Essay 2014 - 69
    Essay 2015 - 118
    Mujhe mahfil ki khwahish thi mili tanhaaiyan mujhko .
  • Bhai kisne kha Gandhi vihar and Nehru vihar are not good for staying..... Bro girls even live in vajirabad also,,,, and mene to kabhi aisa kuch nhi Suna..... Jabardsti apne perception create mat Kia Karo!!!
  • abhi44 said:

Atharva said:

Thanks bro..actually i am planning to shift there with my wife..considering that point, can u pls suggest..I can not afford very high rent

• Atharva said:

abhi44 said:

Atharva said:

Thanks bro..actually i am planning to shift there with my wife..considering that point, can u pls suggest..I can not afford very high rent

Then shift to Katwaria Sarai or Ber Sarai. You get 1BHK for around 10,000 plus landlords bhi itne kameene nahin hian ORN aur MN ke landlords k tarah. Single rooms are available for 5k-6k.
  • a well furnished flat in nearby mukherjee nagar with rent 8000/3
    i m a engineer and preparing for IAS
    if any one interested call
  • Nyx said:

Good morning friends,

After looking around in ORN I have found that rents in this area are very much on the higher side. Really cant afford a costly accommodation at this point. So, I began searching about Mukherjee Nagar but in the forum itself aspirants have mentioned that,
    1). MN is not safe for female aspirants like stated in this thread http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/5376/rajendra-place-or-mukherjee-nagar-which-place-is-best-for-ias-aspirant/p2. Is this the reality or is there any truth in it? Female aspirants living in the area currently please help me out here as we are a couple and need to shift by the end of this month anyhow.
    2). If it is unsafe then which areas to avoid in MN? or are there any safe localities in MN?

Regards

a well furnished flat in mukherjee nagar with rent 8000
    i m a engineer and preparing for IAS
    if any one interested call
  • Aspirants living in MN, can we get a number for some trusted broker in that area? It is very difficult to find out which one is an honest one as every other guy is a broker in these educational hubs.
  • Atharva said:

abhi44 said:

Atharva said:

Try indira vihar or parmanand colony. Avoid mukerjee nagar, rent quite high there.
    You should even visit gandhi vihar once. If you like the area, you can get a flat in 7k-10k.
  • edited September 2016
    abhi44 said:

Atharva said:

abhi44 said:

Atharva said:

Try indira vihar or parmanand colony. Avoid mukerjee nagar, rent quite high there.
    You should even visit gandhi vihar once. If you like the area, you can get a flat in 7k-10k.
    @abhi44 Thanks bro..any idea, how much rent can I expect for indira vihar and parmanand colony for 2 bhk ?
  • Nyx said:

Good morning friends,

Regards

Good luck with the room. Better to go for Ber Sarai area. It has all the materials available that are available in orn. And, the environment is nice as well. We? You are 2 persons, I presume. Good, take a 1 bhk then, or if you could adjust in a good 1rk- you could find it in cheaper prices wrt orn area. Or, if you want dirt cheap rooms with safe locality then Katwarai sarai, uttam nagar, etc would be fine. Patel nagar and shadipur is fine as well. These all are safe places btw. Good luck for you future stay and preparations :smile:

*I would recommend you to find rooms in Ber Sarai. Take some time and explore. Good luck.
    **No offense to MN, but avoid that place. I am not a female. I wish other female aspirants help you out, you would find numerous female aspirants prepg in and around Ber sarai.
    You have specifically mentioned to avoid MN. Any particular reason?
  • Pls avoid mukherjee nagar..this place is pathetic..when it comes to civil services ORN and Karol bagh is way better than MN..people in mn come for civils but after sometime start filling all other competitive exam and becomes all rounder and trap by ssc cgl,bank po. these days mn has become a mecca of ssc cgl..not for civils.. :D
  • hey ..orn is always better if u r from English medium ..now days Mukherjee is overcrowded with ssc people ..hardly to find upsc aspirant .but safety ka koi issue nai hai ...my sis is thr ..but yes quality wise u will suffer ..because no enthusiastic aspirants , no updates of material ..aur waise bhi mukherjee is not that cheaper thn orn ..
  • Mukherjee Nagar along with hudsan lane , Vijay Nagar and Christian colony houses the students of Delhi University including girls. i don't know how did it become unsafe even as propaganda here ?
    It's absolutely safe , infact one of the most secured places in Delhi. i was in Hudsan lane for many years and that was the most amazing place on this earth. We used to go to MN or DU every evening on a walk. it hardly takes 10-15 minutes. it was a super awesome place and I had my best memories there.
    i went there last month after prelims and saw SSC coaching proliferation like crazy but still i didn't feel any difference except for more crowd and adulteration of serious students with not that serious fact champs. even then its not like UPSC students are not there. infact i saw sriram ias too last time which was not there earlier.
    point is ORN is definitely a better deal if you have not been a part of DU or dont have friends in MN but except for the thing that ORN is civils only and MN is now a mixed one , there is absolutely no difference otherwise.
  • Mukherjee Nagar along with hudsan lane , Vijay Nagar and Christian colony houses the students of Delhi University including girls. i don't know how did it become unsafe even as propaganda here ?
    It's absolutely safe , infact one of the most secured places in Delhi. i was in Hudsan lane for many years and that was the most amazing place on this earth. We used to go to MN or DU every evening on a walk. it hardly takes 10-15 minutes. it was a super awesome place and I had my best memories there.
    i went there last month after prelims and saw SSC coaching proliferation like crazy but still i didn't feel any difference except for more crowd and adulteration of serious students with not that serious fact champs. even then its not like UPSC students are not there. infact i saw sriram ias too last time which was not there earlier.
    point is ORN is definitely a better deal if you have not been a part of DU or dont have friends in MN but except for the thing that ORN is civils only and MN is now a mixed one , there is absolutely no difference otherwise.

Thanks @ParidhiSinha for sharing your insights regarding MN. We just need a cheaper place where material for civil is easily available.
  • edited September 2016
    Nyx said:

Mukherjee Nagar along with hudsan lane , Vijay Nagar and Christian colony houses the students of Delhi University including girls. i don't know how did it become unsafe even as propaganda here ?

Thanks @ParidhiSinha for sharing your insights regarding MN. We just need a cheaper place where material for civil is easily available.
    Hi :) see there is no such thing as security scare in any of these hubs. yes eve teasing and all those rascality is there sometimes but its universal and no part on earth is immune to it. however i did notice that students from particular neighbouring state were more in comparison to others due to SSC coachings. i am not prejudiced but i have few friends from that state and even they agree that most of them are male chauvinist assholes. so yes things are not as heavenly as they used to be but its still a good enough place to prepare. area around GTB metro station are still a bliss.
    as far as rent is concerned MN and Hudsan Lane are a bit expensive. If you are done with your coaching try Nehru Vihar or Parmanand Colony or Indira Vikas Colony. they are definitely not bad. the best thing about these areas is the availability of everything with minimum effort.
    if you get bored and want to refresh , Kamla Nagar and Delhi University are 15-20 minutes away and they are the best place for a student. they are simply mind boggling!
  • I have lived in both ORN and MN. ORN has upper class and upper middle class gentry. Room rents are skyrocketing and middle class finds it difficult to survive there.

MN has middle class candidates. SSc coachings have blossomed a lot. Neetu Singh of KD Campus lives 6-7 houses away from my room. She has a ferrari (Oh God!). However, the good thing is that IAS material is available in every book shop. You won't miss out anything significant.

Now coming to attitude of boys and safety of girls. The worst thing that guys here can do is to ogle at a girl till she is out of sight. Such perverts can be found in every nook and corner. It's better is avoid such pigs. Police is always on vigilance and there has been no untoward incident in my memory.

The last time anything controversial happened was when a North-east girl filed a rape case against her live-in partner for refusing to marry her.

Nehru Vihar and Gandhi Vihar are JJ Colonies and can be avoided. Indira Vikas Colony is much better in that range.
  • edited September 2016
    Landlords r really cheap here
    Aware before investing
    Properly dekh k advance pay karna
  • 1 BHK independent flat in West Patel Nagar. First Floor
    1 min walking to Shadipur metro station.
    All Vajiram students in the building . :)
    attached balcony too.

No brokerage. Just rent and 1 month advance.
    Normal lights and fans provided. along with water heyser for winters.
    so not furnished.
    Rent 9000 !
    Can get your food cooked by Aunty or arrange outside. your choice :)

Call if interested as soon as possible. Can shift anyday :)
    8930055022 !
  • Visited MN today. Met a few brokers. They showed me few rooms.
    1). Cost - As far as cost is concerned, MN is as costly as ORN, if not more. 1BHK is around 10k that too without kitchen in MN. The areas around MN like Indira vihar, Gandhi Vihar and Parmanand colony are cheaper but the condition of the rooms is very bad. They look like the caves from the lord of the rings.
    2). Brokers showed me rooms where couples can reside but in most of the cases landlord resides in the ground floor.
    3). Material - There is no dearth of material, in both hindi and english medium.
    4). AC - One weird thing I noticed was that AC was absent from most rooms and to install an AC meant extra security plus a talk with the landlord. In most cases, ACs are not allowed.

We are going to try our luck in areas around ORN i.e. in New rajender nagar, Patel Nagar and Shadipur. Hopefully we will get a room.
  • edited September 2016
    I stayed at nehru vihar for 2 months during my interview days. So I can share my views about this place
    Pros: affordable, easy availability of basic amenities.
    Cons: filthy area, rooms small, aspirants all over but moslty live in relations wale people where they just dont study at all :) ..only fun and masti thats all..i found very few serious candidates there and yes dint get positive vibes for preparation either. :)
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
  • Nyx said:

Visited MN today. Met a few brokers. They showed me few rooms.
    1). Cost - As far as cost is concerned, MN is as costly as ORN, if not more. 1BHK is around 10k that too without kitchen in MN. The areas around MN like Indira vihar, Gandhi Vihar and Parmanand colony are cheaper but the condition of the rooms is very bad. They look like the caves from the lord of the rings.
    2). Brokers showed me rooms where couples can reside but in most of the cases landlord resides in the ground floor.
    3). Material - There is no dearth of material, in both hindi and english medium.
    4). AC - One weird thing I noticed was that AC was absent from most rooms and to install an AC meant extra security plus a talk with the landlord. In most cases, ACs are not allowed.

We are going to try our luck in areas around ORN i.e. in New rajender nagar, Patel Nagar and Shadipur. Hopefully we will get a room.

aman131 said:

I stayed at nehru vihar for 2 months during my interview days. So I can share my views about this place
    Pros: affordable, easy availability of basic amenities.
    Cons: filthy area, rooms small, aspirants all over but moslty live in relations wale people where they just dont study at all :) ..only fun and masti thats all..i found very few serious candidates there and yes dint get positive vibes for preparation either. :)

+1
    I second
    I HV been here

But no issues about women safety & police is friendly here
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog