Secure 35+ Questions in Prelims 2017

Dr. Ravi Agrahari's General Science & Tech, Environment & Ecology Module to cover atleast 35+ Questions in Prelims 2017. Start Date : 22nd March. Call : 9555923039 Click to watch Orientation Lecture.

DAF CSE(M) -2016 : Analysing services other than IAS, IPS, IFS & IRS

Heartiest Congratulations to all the successful aspirants. Even though our uncles and aunties (read relatives) may think CSE is only about IAS, but we know that there is more to it than only the power and status. The handwork behind this journey should not be spoilt due to an uniformed decision, so I am starting this discussion.

As the DAF will be out by first week of October-2016 and one of the most confusing parts to fill in the DAF is related to service options. There is a lot of information and experiences available regarding the IAS, IPS, IFS & IRS on the internet to enable a candidate to make an informed decision. But for the other services namely -

1 IAAS
2. Indian Railway Traffic Service
3. Indian Railways Accounts Service
4. Indian Defence Estate
5. Indian Defence Accounts
6. Indian P & T Accounts & Finance
7. Post of Asst Security Commissioner, RPF
8. Indian Railway Personal Service
9. Indian Ordnance Factories Service
10. Indian Civil Accounts Service
11. Indian Postal Service
12. Indian Information Service
13. Indian Trade Service
14. Indian Corporate Law Service
15. DANICS
16. DANIPS
17. Armed Force HQ
18. Pondicherry civil service

there appears to be a dearth of information to make this critical ranking, which may decide the next 30-35 years of our professional career. Therefore it is requested to the esteemed seniors @ForumIAS to throw some light on the services mentioned above which may enlighten the candidates for years to come.

The esteemed seniors who are there in the services are also requested to share their experience, as civil service is not about power to rule rather it is about the ability to change the society through the little steps in the desired direction. In order make this happen and make our society better than today, these subsystems of bureaucracy should also have motivated officers, with a strong desire to serve the people through the available ways and means. The aptitude required for each service may be little different from the other and so will be the learning experience(read as life). For some Accounting may be more fulfilling for some it may be Railways or Corporate law etc.

Therefore it is requested to one and all to please come forward and share the information regarding the job profile, working conditions, work life balance, promotional opportunities, work satisfaction, political interference, training , deputation opportunities, learning opportunities etc.

It is expected that our contributions will surely enable the present/future aspirants to make the decision as per the aptitude and individual liking and not peer pressure ....

Note : I will try to update the thread at evenings with some relevant information about these services.

thanks & regards,

lucki

CSE-M 2016
CSE-M 2015
CSE-M 2014
The train to Mussoorie will be leaving shortly....
·

Comments

• IAAS

Job profile : The mandate of CAG of India passes onto the IAAS which performs the compilation of accounts for states, and audit for both, the states and the centre. Apart from this national presence, IAAD also has international presence via three international offices at Kuala Lampur, London and Washington DC. CAG of India has also been entrusted for auditing international bodies such as United Nations, World Intellectual Property Organization etc.

An IAAS officer joins the department as Deputy AG (DAG), and in due time gets promoted as Senior DAG (Sr.DAG), AG, Principal AG(PAG), Additional Deputy CAG (ADAI) and Deputy CAG (DAI). As explained above, the posts equivalent to AG and PAG are Principal Director (PD) and Director General (DG), in central machinery.

Working Conditions : IAAS works under CAG of India, a constitutional body, which makes it aloof from any undue political interference. The service is known for most timely promotions amongst all the civil services. They are provided with housing which these days mostly is a 3BHK flat, a car is always available for their disposal but that can be used only for commuting to office from home and for office related work. Posting will be either in Delhi or in State Capitals like Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Patna etc. wherever there is office of PAG.

work life balance: Excellent as duty hours are normal 9 to 5, not much rush is there.

promotional opportunities : One of the best (refer enclosed files)

work satisfaction: refer enclosed file

political interference : Nil

training: National Academy of Audit and Accounts (NAAA) at Shimla for one and half year training. Here the Officer Trainees learn basics of accounting, auditing, public finance, financial management and information systems audit. After the training at NAAA, six months of field training follow

deputation opportunities: Good
    Pg 169 of the 7th CPC report Promotion to SAG for various services p-1.jpg
    1016 x 556 - 167K
    Pg 170 7th CPC report on promotion to SAG for various services p-2.JPG
    1036 x 578 - 63K
    Pg 183 7th CPC report representation of services at Secretary level.JPG
    606 x 567 - 101K
    Pg 196 7th CPC report on promotion opportunities .JPG
    585 x 567 - 98K
    Pg 48 of Civil Services survey 2010 on job satisfaction in different services.JPG
    821 x 592 - 71K
    Pg 60 of Civil Services survey 2010 on work-life balance in different services.JPG
    784 x 559 - 57K
    Pg 77 of Civil Services survey 2010 on Promotions in different services.JPG
    808 x 435 - 62K
    Pg 104 of Civil Services survey 2010 on overall perception in different services.JPG
    652 x 554 - 52K
    The train to Mussoorie will be leaving shortly....
    ·
  • lucki said:

IAAS

Job profile : The mandate of CAG of India passes onto the IAAS which performs the compilation of accounts for states, and audit for both, the states and the centre. Apart from this national presence, IAAD also has international presence via three international offices at Kuala Lampur, London and Washington DC. CAG of India has also been entrusted for auditing international bodies such as United Nations, World Intellectual Property Organization etc.

An IAAS officer joins the department as Deputy AG (DAG), and in due time gets promoted as Senior DAG (Sr.DAG), AG, Principal AG(PAG), Additional Deputy CAG (ADAI) and Deputy CAG (DAI). As explained above, the posts equivalent to AG and PAG are Principal Director (PD) and Director General (DG), in central machinery.

Working Conditions : IAAS works under CAG of India, a constitutional body, which makes it aloof from any undue political interference. The service is known for most timely promotions amongst all the civil services. They are provided with housing which these days mostly is a 3BHK flat, a car is always available for their disposal but that can be used only for commuting to office from home and for office related work. Posting will be either in Delhi or in State Capitals like Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Patna etc. wherever there is office of PAG.

work life balance: Excellent as duty hours are normal 9 to 5, not much rush is there.

promotional opportunities : One of the best (refer enclosed files)

work satisfaction: refer enclosed file

political interference : Nil

training: National Academy of Audit and Accounts (NAAA) at Shimla for one and half year training. Here the Officer Trainees learn basics of accounting, auditing, public finance, financial management and information systems audit. After the training at NAAA, six months of field training follow

deputation opportunities: Good

How is the power in IAAS? And is it as 'lucrative' as IRS?
    ·
  • And regarding car, even in IRS, they get facilities for official work only. However, the officers use it beyond office duties for personal use also. Is it the same in IAAS?
    ·
  • please include revene and customs also Thnks for d most awaited info :)
    it will matter in the end...definitely..
    ·
  • Mitron, it's good initiative
    ·
  • Thank you @lucki for creating this wonderful thread. Such kind of threads compel me to login to ForumIAS. Awaiting genuine info from seniors.
    ·
  • One query,

After,IAS, IFS, IPS, IRS, What service should be followed?

I am thinking of

IRTS,
    IAAS,
    IDES

Then what?

Can anyone share how to go about it or point out to me a good source to read on?

Where to put Danics and Danips. it is group B , but i have heard it is better than lower Group A Services. Any senior candidates can throw some light. Sir @Jon_Snow @doodlebean @mango_dolly ma'am?
    Writing CSE Mains 2016
    ·
  • My preferences,
    1. IFS
    2. IPS
    3. IAS
    4. IRS(CCE)
    5. ITS
    6. IAAS
    7. IRS(IT)
    8. IRTS
    9. IRAS
    10. IRPS
    11. IIS
    12. IPoS
    13. IP&TAFS
    14. ICAS
    15. IDAS
    16. ICLS
    17. IDES
    18. IOFS
    19. DANICS
    20. PondiCS
    21. RPF
    22. DANIPS
    23. PondiPS
    24. AFHCS
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • Copied from Quora

Indian Railway Traffic Services

The officers are grade A officers concerned with the operations and the commercial department of the railways. The railways doesn't have IAS officers unlike every other department. In the railways, it is considered that the IRTS is as high as it goes and if one enters at the right age, they could become the Chairman Railway Board viz a prestigious post to hold. After the training of 1.5 years, an IRTS officer is allocated one of the 17 zones in India. Also, there are horizontal movements , for example

Ashwani Lohani, a tourism veteran, to steer Air India as CMD ...He is from the IRSME, another prestigious services in the Railways.

Former Railway Board chairman Vinay Mittal appointed UPSC member | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis ....He is from the IRTS and you might find him taking your UPSC interview in the Dholpur house.

You could even get a deputation to the DMRC or other high speed rail projects happening in India.

It is a well known fact that the services and amenities in the railways are better than any other services. They have occupied all the beautiful colonial era houses and clubs. So that part is sorted well too.
    ·
  • Why IFS as first choice siree @ pizza
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    pizza said:

My preferences,
    1. IFS
    2. IPS
    3. IAS
    4. IRS(CCE)
    5. ITS
    6. IAAS
    7. IRS(IT)

8. IRTS
    9. IRAS
    10. IRPS
    11. IIS
    12. IPoS
    13. IP&TAFS
    14. ICAS
    15. IDAS
    16. ICLS
    17. IDES
    18. IOFS
    19. DANICS
    20. PondiCS
    21. RPF
    22. DANIPS
    23. PondiPS
    24. AFHCS

Would you please mind explaining in 2-3 sentences for this rank of choices? Only for Bold one, from 3rd to 7th.
    ·
  • My Cadre Preferences,
    1. Karnataka
    2. AGMUT
    3. Telangana
    4. Kerala
    5. Andhra Pradesh
    6. Maharashtra
    7. Uttarakhand
    8. Himachal Pradesh
    9. Gujarat
    10. West Bengal
    11. Sikkim
    12. Madhya Pradesh
    13. Orissa
    14. Assam-Meghalaya
    15. Manipur-Tripura
    16. Nagaland
    17. Tamil Nadu
    18. Rajasthan
    19. Haryana
    20. Chattisgarh
    21. Punjab
    22. Uttar Pradesh
    23. Bihar
    24. Jammu and Kashmir
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • packed said:

Why IFS as first choice siree @ pizza

More of a personal choice. I like traveling, culture, diplomacy and technology. :)
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • pizza said:

My Cadre Preferences,
    1. Karnataka
    2. AGMUT
    3. Telangana
    4. Kerala
    5. Andhra Pradesh
    6. Maharashtra
    7. Uttarakhand
    8. Himachal Pradesh
    9. Gujarat
    10. West Bengal
    11. Sikkim
    12. Madhya Pradesh
    13. Orissa
    14. Assam-Meghalaya
    15. Manipur-Tripura
    16. Nagaland
    17. Tamil Nadu
    18. Rajasthan
    19. Haryana
    20. Chattisgarh
    21. Punjab
    22. Uttar Pradesh
    23. Bihar
    24. Jammu and Kashmir

A Kannadiga doesn't want to go to Hindi heartland but why not Tamil Nadu? :smile:

Lease this question, but please answer why IRS (CCE) over IRS (IT) even after GST implementation and whats so speacial about ITS.
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    usename said:

pizza said:

My preferences,
    1. IFS
    2. IPS
    3. IAS
    4. IRS(CCE)
    5. ITS
    6. IAAS
    7. IRS(IT)

8. IRTS
    9. IRAS
    10. IRPS
    11. IIS
    12. IPoS
    13. IP&TAFS
    14. ICAS
    15. IDAS
    16. ICLS
    17. IDES
    18. IOFS
    19. DANICS
    20. PondiCS
    21. RPF
    22. DANIPS
    23. PondiPS
    24. AFHCS

Would you please mind explaining in 2-3 sentences for this rank of choices? Only for Bold one, from 3rd to 7th.
    All are very personal choices and in no way based by undermining the importance of any service. Decided through my aptitude and type of life i would want to lead.

IPS because I like making peace and solving disputes i.e, maintaining law and order. Solving crimes is another motivation.
    IAS - Its the best service, It offers tremendous scope to make a quick positive impact on the lives of under privileged section of the society. But, I dont think i have an aptitude for this service, 35 years is a long time and pure administrative roles in the senior positions dont motivate me enough.
    IRS(C&CCE) - Like IPS its a uniformed service, Large commissionerates, Opportunity to learn has a Wider scope - Customs, Service Tax, Narcotics etc.
    ITS - Opportunity to travel around the globe, Learning about trade and technology, Negotiating trade agreements etc will be beneficial for my ultimate preference IFS.
    IAAS - Least Political interference, Opportunity to travel abroad.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    usename said:

pizza said:

My Cadre Preferences,
    1. Karnataka
    2. AGMUT
    3. Telangana
    4. Kerala
    5. Andhra Pradesh
    6. Maharashtra
    7. Uttarakhand
    8. Himachal Pradesh
    9. Gujarat
    10. West Bengal
    11. Sikkim
    12. Madhya Pradesh
    13. Orissa
    14. Assam-Meghalaya
    15. Manipur-Tripura
    16. Nagaland
    17. Tamil Nadu
    18. Rajasthan
    19. Haryana
    20. Chattisgarh
    21. Punjab
    22. Uttar Pradesh
    23. Bihar
    24. Jammu and Kashmir

A Kannadiga doesn't want to go to Hindi heartland but why not Tamil Nadu? :smile:

Lease this question, but please answer why IRS (CCE) over IRS (IT) even after GST implementation and whats so speacial about ITS.

Because i have seen the culture and society in TN, its pretty much the same as it in Bengaluru and the border areas. If i dont get home cadre, i would rather want to experience a new place, culture and society. I love andhra and Maharashtra cuisine, that is why i have put that choice to be honest :tongue: Kerala for its serene places.

I would love to spend my life near the Himalayas, North Eastern states and Coasts, and the list is pretty much based on the same thing. Food + Location. Ofcourse one can counter me and ask why not J and K if you like the himalayas. Again the answer would revolve around food(not a big fan of J and K cuisine, i prefer vegetarian food). Plus i want to live in a little peaceful area than J and K. Ultimately it all depends on the rank, i will happily go to what ever state i get allocated to, these are just personal preferences. :)
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • Thanks @pizza . Would experience in ITS help in getting high-end private job?
    Some people look into this angle too while opting their services.
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    I am least bothered about Politics, Promotions, Transfers, Tenure as a SP etc.
    Good food :yum: + Serene places :love: + a little peace :innocent: are my criteria to decide a cadre :tongue: , except for home cadre.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • usename said:

Thanks @pizza . Would experience in ITS help in getting high-end private job?
    Some people look into this angle too while opting their services.

Yes, I kindly request @mango_dolly sir to provide a clearer picture. It was his previous service :)
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • Advantage of AGMUT?
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google