ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Which Optional is most scoring as per past few years trend

Hi I am preparing for CSE 2017 and need to decide Optional.

I understand interest is necessary in the optional , but still this knowledge can really be helpful.
Thanks
·

Comments

• All other optionals except the one you chose : :p
    ·
  • Languages followed by medical science
    ·
  • By languages I mean literature
    ·
  • Go through the syllabus and last year papers to find your ideal subject of interest, something that is to your liking.....Remember, if subjects X and Y would have been high scoring ones, all would've chosen X and Y only, and not A,B,C or Z.
    ·
  • Hi DG sahab
    I am doing that only, but my question is that there are some optionals where average marks are pretty low . In end we need atleast 250 260 to be in race for IAS .

Could you tell me if we leave interest aside , which are most scoring as per past years trend, that wil be really helpful.

Thanks
    DG_Saahib said:

Go through the syllabus and last year papers to find your ideal subject of interest, something that is to your liking.....Remember, if subjects X and Y would have been high scoring ones, all would've chosen X and Y only, and not A,B,C or Z.

·
  • Please seniors your views will be really helpful. I am an engineer and have set a goal to finish the optional by December at most.

Please let me know what you think are scoring optionals as per current trend.
    ·
  • No public administration or geography
    ·
  • babayoyo said:

Please seniors your views will be really helpful. I am an engineer and have set a goal to finish the optional by December at most.

Please let me know what you think are scoring optionals as per current trend.

See mostly the point is that the common optionals such as Pub Ad, or Pol Sci will have lower average marks, mostly because a lot of people write it, so average is bound to be low. But those well prepared do score high marks in it too. You can see many toppers from it.
    So, the criteria you should be looking at is
    1. Interest in the subject : I know it seems right now that you can study any subject, but you will have to do this thing in depth for a long time. So interest is a must otherwise you will regret taking it.
    2. You also need to find out if study material is available for it, and or classes if you want to join any.
    3. Graduation subject will give you an edge compared to others if you don't hate it. So keep that as an option too.

Just make a list of 2-3 subjects according to these points and then download last years' papers for these along with syllabus. Then choose whichever one you are most comfortable with.

Keep in mind, to score good in any optional you will have to put in effort. No subject will give high marks just because its easy, otherwise everyone would take it. And no subject is bad if you study enough.
    Beyond all this, the wish to be alone:
    Beneath it all, the desire for oblivion runs:
    ·
  • Even I don't know...But any subject, average is 222, and exceptional people get 250 in the same subject.
    ·
  • Any indian language literature optional..
    ·
  • Jaanbaaz khiladyon ke liye hain sirf 2 option.

1.Santhali Literature -So deadly is this enigma of an optional, that 1 student in the past 3 years has opted for it(and even he opted not of his own free will). Average marks almost guaranteed. If you can go all kung fu on it and let those creative juices flow, you might as well score decently. Now the thing is the professor who will be checking your paper will have to travel all the way from Ranchi to Delhi, as its unlikely that they teach Santhali anywhere in the known universe apart from JH, WB, Orissa etc. If the professor is in a shitty mood coz his vegetarian food on Rajdhani sucked, you are screwed. But chances are,being from Ranchi, he/she is a non vegetarian or he might opt for a different train(now that Rajdhani has Surge Pricing), or he might bring his own food. Who knows?? The good news is Santhali's script ol' chiki is virtually unknown to even the tribals so it's is written in Devnagri script(Hindi), the really bad news is it's freakin undecipherable little shit of a language to speak.yeah!! and there lies the "Khatra" if u can manage to learn the language spoken by these damn tribals(No offence to any tribals). You will be considered a local legend. Lost in folklore and songs.So there you go.

2.Sindhi Literature- It can serve as a link between you and Ranvir Singh, Karan Johar, Hansika Motwani etc. The Sindhi language of course A language preffered by Business minded, mean,bitchy and money making machines of Gujrat and Maharashtra. Again written in Hindi but should be written as sindhi. With good preapration you can not only score good marks in UPSC but you can also score tons of rich Gujrati Aunties and girls in Gujrat. And lets be realistic we all know how Gujrati Aunties dress during Navratri. Who doesn't like that, right. It's a win-win if you ask me.

So both these you can try and see which you like. Decide aptly and do it fast
    All the Best Brother.
    ·
  • Just make sure , whatever you choose , fall in love with it. How do you fall in love ?
    Well first thing is you must like it.You must always want to be with it.Second, you would want to understand it properly.So choose whatever , dont go after stats, but make sure , absolutley sure that you like it and understand it at some level.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.
    ·
  • Hi Guys thank you all for your valuable guidance.

After applying your suggestions, I am down to either sociology and philosophy. I am liking both subjects . Now among these 2 which are more scoring?

Thanks
    ·
  • sociology.......coz in philosophy, your philosophy should be in the same frequency and wavelength with that of the paper checker......... plus in socio, u can attempt 100/500 marks worth questions without studying.......see for yourself..... @babayoyo
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google