Invitation : Attend OPEN Classes on Current Affairs for Mains 2017 on 16th & 17th at 11AM

Walk in to the Test Center at 11AM Today or Register for the 2 Days Open Classes, or enroll for the ONLINE / OFFLINE Current Affairs for Mains 2017 by visiting the below link http://blog.forumias.com/currentaffairs2017. A registration fee of Rs. 50/day is charged for the two day event to have a correct estimate of the number of people attending.

Those who cleared UPSC Prelims 2016, please share strategy for prelim

Congratulation to all the candidates who cleared prelims. Please share the strategy you employed for prelims. This can help all candidates preparing for CSE'17.
·

Comments

• Looks like no one is interested to share.
    ·
  • I will share mine... Stick to ncert plus standard texts for basics
    Just ncert+ spectrum for history, nitin sighania and ncert for culture.
    Ncerts for geography
    Shankar ganesh+ ramesh Singh economics
    Laxmikanth polity
    Shankarias material for environment
    Ncerts for science
    . Revise them again and again till time time allows.
    For current affairs I read Hindu daily. Though I wanted to prepare notes from it, was not able to do so.. So read insights current affairs and vision monthly materials. Also revised vision current affairs maximum times..
    In case of study hours per day, i m not doing any job, so avg 40+ hours every week was possible..
    And do test attempted test series of insights for 2016. It is useful to get focussed and expect questions while u r studying.
    Analyse previous years question papers for question paper patterns and specific areas. Though they change it drastically every year, u will definitely get some questions from some repeated focus areas
    Marks prelims
    2014: 125
    2016: 144
    ·
  • @pranav933 How many questions you have attempted with 50: 50 chances. What was your strategy of attempting 50:50 questions? I hope you might have tried some strategy of 90+ questions during mock at insights? or some other strategy? please elaborate on that?
    ·
  • I did the following:

^^ Made regular notes from the Hindu in my tablet. After every month was complete I took print out of that month's notes and revised them. I did this for Dec 2015 - June 16. This is my arsenal for mains too. From 1 August to 6 August, I revised these 84 pages thrice.

^^ Finished Bipin Chandra and DD Basu twice cover to cover b/w April and August.
    (If you want objective knowledge only read Laxmikanth. If you want to enjoy Constitution go for DD Basu. I sometimes wonder why so many aspirants read only Laxmikanth while DDB is the real deal.)

^^ Old NCERTs for Ancient, Medieval and Arts & Culture.

^^ Geography is my optional so I didn't need to worry for that. I'm very confidemt of my engg. background so never bothered for Sci & Tech.

I was getting 136 +/- 4 marks from various keys in prelims.
    "When life ends up breathtakingly fucked, you can generally trace it back to ONE BIG BAD DECISION. The one which sent you down the road to Shitsberg". -Deadpool
    ·
  • For the benefit of others

Geography
    Read Class 11 - Physical Geography * 4-5 times revision - Oceans Currents and Circulation chapter should be on your tongue
    Class 10 - Geography * 4-5 times, each crop, each industry
    Class 6 - Solar System
    Kindly thoroughly read NCERT special emphasis on Class 6-11 Geography
    India map should be on your finger tip - practice map locations on blank maps including Protected areas

History
    Read Old NCERT History books for culture part RS Sharma - atleast 3 times revision
    Class 11 - Art and Architecture - atleast revise it 4-5 times
    For factual part read Tamil Nadu Board class 11 books
    Modern India - read Bipan Chandra once or twice
    post reading Bipan Chandra read Spectrum more emphasis on Swadeshi, Rowlatt Act, Civil Disobedience, Khilafat and Quit India, Naval Mutiny and INA Trials

Culture
    Make notes from old Ancient India History for Harappa, Vedic, Mauryan, Gupta, Sangam, Harshavardhana
    Thoroughly Class 11 - Art and Architecture - atleast revise it 4-5 times Maurya and Post Maurya should be on your finger tips

Economy
    NCERT Macroeconomics, Mrunal Videos, Economic Survey

Current Affairs
    Tricky part revision is the key don't read anything once revise it regularly

Mock
    Analysis of mocks is more important than the score
    Find your strength and weakness

UPSC Past Prelims Paper
    Always see and check why a particular question has been asked
    See what are the flavors of UPSC Pre paper

Aim
    Target IFoS Cut off ( if you target CSE cut off it will be too close a call seeing the rising level of competition each year)

Hope it helps
    The real work gets done behind the scenes, Competition is the easy part - Usain Bolt
    ·
  • 1 subject 1 source...current affairs 2 source (365+learning space) ...tests + previous year paper..isi Ka 3-4 bar revision... Exam me thoda luck..baki koi strategy nahi...ye sab hi krte honge
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
    ·
  • pranav933 said:

I will share mine... Stick to ncert plus standard texts for basics
    Just ncert+ spectrum for history, nitin sighania and ncert for culture.
    Ncerts for geography
    Shankar ganesh+ ramesh Singh economics
    Laxmikanth polity
    Shankarias material for environment
    Ncerts for science
    . Revise them again and again till time time allows.
    For current affairs I read Hindu daily. Though I wanted to prepare notes from it, was not able to do so.. So read insights current affairs and vision monthly materials. Also revised vision current affairs maximum times..
    In case of study hours per day, i m not doing any job, so avg 40+ hours every week was possible..
    And do test attempted test series of insights for 2016. It is useful to get focussed and expect questions while u r studying.
    Analyse previous years question papers for question paper patterns and specific areas. Though they change it drastically every year, u will definitely get some questions from some repeated focus areas
    Marks prelims
    2014: 125
    2016: 144

Thank you n all d best fr mains
    ·
  • I did the following:

^^ Made regular notes from the Hindu in my tablet. After every month was complete I took print out of that month's notes and revised them. I did this for Dec 2015 - June 16. This is my arsenal for mains too. From 1 August to 6 August, I revised these 84 pages thrice.

^^ Finished Bipin Chandra and DD Basu twice cover to cover b/w April and August.
    (If you want objective knowledge only read Laxmikanth. If you want to enjoy Constitution go for DD Basu. I sometimes wonder why so many aspirants read only Laxmikanth while DDB is the real deal.)

^^ Old NCERTs for Ancient, Medieval and Arts & Culture.

^^ Geography is my optional so I didn't need to worry for that. I'm very confidemt of my engg. background so never bothered for Sci & Tech.

I was getting 136 +/- 4 marks from various keys in prelims.

Can u share any pic of ur newspaper notes which did in tablet ?
    Please I request u
    @jack_dawson
    ·
  • For the benefit of others

Geography
    Read Class 11 - Physical Geography * 4-5 times revision - Oceans Currents and Circulation chapter should be on your tongue
    Class 10 - Geography * 4-5 times, each crop, each industry
    Class 6 - Solar System
    Kindly thoroughly read NCERT special emphasis on Class 6-11 Geography
    India map should be on your finger tip - practice map locations on blank maps including Protected areas

History
    Read Old NCERT History books for culture part RS Sharma - atleast 3 times revision
    Class 11 - Art and Architecture - atleast revise it 4-5 times
    For factual part read Tamil Nadu Board class 11 books
    Modern India - read Bipan Chandra once or twice
    post reading Bipan Chandra read Spectrum more emphasis on Swadeshi, Rowlatt Act, Civil Disobedience, Khilafat and Quit India, Naval Mutiny and INA Trials

Culture
    Make notes from old Ancient India History for Harappa, Vedic, Mauryan, Gupta, Sangam, Harshavardhana
    Thoroughly Class 11 - Art and Architecture - atleast revise it 4-5 times Maurya and Post Maurya should be on your finger tips

Economy
    NCERT Macroeconomics, Mrunal Videos, Economic Survey

Current Affairs
    Tricky part revision is the key don't read anything once revise it regularly

Mock
    Analysis of mocks is more important than the score
    Find your strength and weakness

UPSC Past Prelims Paper
    Always see and check why a particular question has been asked
    See what are the flavors of UPSC Pre paper

Aim
    Target IFoS Cut off ( if you target CSE cut off it will be too close a call seeing the rising level of competition each year)

Hope it helps

Thanks
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    There you go. It's a page from GS-2 for post July period... @mandawar @princemanoj009
    Screenshot_2016-09-25-16-32-04.png
    800 x 1280 - 183K
    "When life ends up breathtakingly fucked, you can generally trace it back to ONE BIG BAD DECISION. The one which sent you down the road to Shitsberg". -Deadpool
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    @"Arkham Knight"
    What is this book by RS Sharma which u mentioned for culture part ??
    I use that Class 11 old NCERT (Art n Archi.) which u mentioned. I might need this RSS for mains. Plz. reply...
    ·
  • @"Arkham Knight"
    I use that Class 11 old NCERT (Art n Archi.) which u mentioned. I might need this RSS for mains. Plz. reply...

RS Sharma is Old NCERT textbook for class 11 ancient History
    The real work gets done behind the scenes, Competition is the easy part - Usain Bolt
    ·
  • @"Arkham Knight"

RS Sharma is Old NCERT textbook for class 11 ancient History
    Ohhh... okkk.. I thought there is some RSS for culture too... I've the old Ancient India ncert... thanks
    ·
  • Let me share what I did to score handsomely in prelims. Before that let me also tell that not even once in my previous 5 attempts that I've crossed 100 in prelims.

What clinched for me? In one word "Insights". Me and my frd subscribed to insights. I divided all 34 tests of 2015 papers subject wise into separate documents while my friend did the same for 2016. This was done after attempting the paper. It was a back-breaking and time consuming work but worth it. We then studied those documents at least 5 times before the exam. 6500+ questions 5 times before the exam made me tune up to MCQ mode for at least 2 months before the exam. Because they have scheduled tests syllabus wise and then full mocks, we were able to study each subject MCQs sequentially after studying the topics from standard books. This also helped me overcome inhibitions in attempting 50-50 questions because the practice of MCQs gave me confidence.

Now for the books:

Ancient India - Old NCERT
    Medieval India - Only GKT
    Modern India - Old NCERT (from Aurangzeb death to formation of INC), Spectrum. Here do the chapters of education, civil service reforms, peasant struggles, revolts etc multiple times.
    Science - I intended to do the chapters specified by mrunal but didn't study anything in the end.
    Geography - GKT document (the 10 docs were excellent) + Goh Cheng Leong + 11th NCERT Physical + 11th NCERT Indian geo + 9th NCERT (Climate chapter alone). Unfortunately no qns from geo this time but I invested a lot of time as UPSC always asks 15 qns from geo. Just master this subject.
    Environment - Shankar IAS env book + GKT modules
    Economy - I daresay shun NCERT. Just stick to Sriram notes which covers the full syllabus in a superb way. Do Economic survey from the official document if you have time. But if u don't have time, do GKT survery doc instead of vision or GS Score.
    Polity - Lakshmikanth. But there is a catch. The latest edition of Lakshmikanth is already 3 yrs old. So you must refer internet. Like for example, you don't get to study NITI Ayog in Lakshmikanth.
    CA - Again I didn't do a single day of Hindu for prelims. This has backfired for me for mains as I had to complete Hindu editorials for mains. But Vision/insights CA is a better bet than our own notes. Forget all those fancy talks of self-made notes. Invest that time for something else and allow these coachings to do the job for you.
    Govt schemes - GKT document is the best. ias4sure came up with a very good document as well.

For any doubts, please PM me. I'll be able to reply you as and when I find time.
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    vignesh said:

Let me share what I did to score handsomely in prelims. Before that let me also tell that not even once in my previous 5 attempts that I've crossed 100 in prelims.

For any doubts, please PM me. I'll be able to reply you as and when I find time.

@vignesh

Congrats for breaking the bad omen of under 100
    I would agree with most of it but except for Insights as the mock papers subscription
    I didn't spent a Rupee on any mock paper as all mock papers are mostly available for free on xaam.in or other document sharing groups
    I agree that what you spoke is very good strategy but for those souls who aren't able to spend Rs 6500 for Insights mock like me kindly don't run for subscribing the mock papers
    rest Vignesh sir has effectively listed out other aspect necessary strategy that one needs to follow with full heart
    Without subscribing and effectively using the free resources from internet it's possible to score 132+
    Sharing for benefit of those who may find difficult to subscribe expensive mocks
    ·
  • @Vignesh first of all congratulations for your splendid score ..I believe you score is some where around 130. I do suppose you are from Anna Nagar,Chennai. Vignesh I am anand from puducherry.expected score is 113.33 as per the hanker IAS academy.But still I am out .Last year also out with 1.34 marks. So being general category I have missed out by narrow margin. But next year is my last attempt. Also I have quit my job 2 months before prelims. Now this frustration comes due to prelims failure. I have also subscribed to Insights. But did not attend some of the initial tests due to paucity of time.I have only one doubt... What was your strategy in attempting questions? I have attended 78 questions.. Did not attend 3 questions which I have eliminated 50: 50 options.(due to last year fear where i have missed out 1.34) .But now i think i should have attended those questions. So how was your approach after attending 100% questions. Have you attended 90+ questions? I belive you ight tried out these strategies at Insights Mock as well.. Please eloborate on this.Because I do not want to be border on this range. I have only one attempt. SO should get service...
    ·
  • @Vignesh first of all congratulations for your splendid score ..I believe you score is some where around 130. I do suppose you are from Anna Nagar,Chennai. Vignesh I am anand from puducherry.expected score is 113.33 as per the hanker IAS academy.But still I am out .Last year also out with 1.34 marks. So being general category I have missed out by narrow margin. But next year is my last attempt. Also I have quit my job 2 months before prelims. Now this frustration comes due to prelims failure. I have also subscribed to Insights. But did not attend some of the initial tests due to paucity of time.I have only one doubt... What was your strategy in attempting questions? I have attended 78 questions.. Did not attend 3 questions which I have eliminated 50: 50 options.(due to last year fear where i have missed out 1.34) .But now i think i should have attended those questions. So how was your approach after attending 100% questions. Have you attended 90+ questions? I belive you ight tried out these strategies at Insights Mock as well.. Please eloborate on this.Because I do not want to be border on this range. I have only one attempt. SO should get service...

I'm not from Anna Nagar but from a different area in Chennai.

113 is a good score considering that it was a shocker this year. But you need to understand that despite getting a good score you were not able to clear because of risk appetite of fellow aspirants.

Learn the art of elimination by analysing test papers and answers. There are some cardinal rules. Absolute statements are always wrong. In govt schemes subsidies will be there but freebies will be rare. Study the civilsdaily tikdam article and you will definitely get confidence on how to eliminate and attempt questions even though some forum members won't accept this. But that article definitely helped me.
    ·
  • read same source multiple times.
    revise 2-3 times
    dn worry abt wht ppl r reading n asking u wl get the answers if u read n understand same stuff
    do vision current affairs i did very late n it ws a headache
    do solve many tests...give sm tests online- vision hs free tests also
    pl prepare for mains also if u dn u wl cry like me right nw :s
    hv faith :)
    it will matter in the end...definitely..
    ·
  • One thing is common in all answers - less material and more revision of it. Thanks to all seniors for sharing.
    ·
  • @pranav933 How many questions you have attempted with 50: 50 chances. What was your strategy of attempting 50:50 questions? I hope you might have tried some strategy of 90+ questions during mock at insights? or some other strategy? please elaborate on that?

Yes I have attempted most questions where I had to choose between two most likely options.. It is never 50-50. We always have some info on something related to the question. So tried to make scientific guesses as some would call it.. 2016 attempted 94 questions.. About 16(don't remember exactly) where wrong.. Didn't have to make pu re guesses. Atleast u may have a hunch or gut feeling.. I attempted atleast 30 questions that way.. So startegy paid off.. Insights test series, I attempted 90+ questions in most tests that way..
    ·
  • mandawar said:

One thing is common in all answers - less material and more revision of it. Thanks to all seniors for sharing.

I made it a rule to not to read materials that u can't revise.. Made notes when I was compelled to do so..
    ·
  • Revise one book 10 times not 10 books one time
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
    ·
  • @ freshers...guys there is no point in studying too much as far as prelims goes
    ELIMINATION of wrong options + RISK TAKING is the key..(attend at least 90 questions considering difficulty level of past 2 years...years before that 80-85 would have been fine)

if u see this years paper u could have attended so many questions just by following logic and of course through recalling certain news items if u were not living under a rock
    e.g the 1000 b$ for climate change question..u can safely say it not true
    same way astrosat satellite question too

MY ADVICE: read all standard material..IF U COULD NOT REVISE MUCH ITS TOTALLY FINE...but while studying for the first time put some effort...VISUALISE what u are studying ..it ll all come back flooding during the exam
    ·
  • attensky said:

@ freshers...guys there is no point in studying too much as far as prelims goes
    ELIMINATION of wrong options + RISK TAKING is the key..(attend at least 90 questions considering difficulty level of past 2 years...years before that 80-85 would have been fine)

if u see this years paper u could have attended so many questions just by following logic and of course through recalling certain news items if u were not living under a rock
    e.g the 1000 b$ for climate change question..u can safely say it not true
    same way astrosat satellite question too

MY ADVICE: read all standard material..IF U COULD NOT REVISE MUCH ITS TOTALLY FINE...but while studying for the first time put some effort...VISUALISE what u are studying ..it ll all come back flooding during the exam

I agree.
    Elimination is the key.
    Also, getting rid of the mental block following a failure is far harder than anything else.
    As FDR famously said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog