ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Seniors please advise : pros and cons of choosing Sociology Optional

Hello Seniors ,
I am appearing for CSE 2017 and need your guidance regarding Sociology Optional. I have shortlisted philosophy and Sociology as my 2 choices and need to finalize one .

Senior who already have Sociology Optional , please guide regarding pros and cons of Sociology Optional.

Thanks
·

Comments

• bro if your graduation subject comes the optional basket of upsc better go with it even if its engineering or commerce etc.
    now coming to your quest -
    abt socio - its syllabus is small, helps in paper IV and eassay, related to society so may find it interesting.
    cons - not very high scoring.
    ·
  • Choosing Sociology Optional :
    - A very interesting & engaging subject in itself which provides us with a new perspective of looking at everyday things.

Pros:
    - Syllabus aspects are interesting & of high relevance in understanding socio-economic issues for civil servants.
    - Directly helps in GS Paper 1 , Essays & can also be interlinked with rest of the topics.
    - Moderate size of syllabus.
    - Good Coaching / Material-Books / Test series widely available.
    - Producing toppers continuously

Cons:
    - Demands in-depth conceptual understanding & application-orientated mindset for high scores.Otherwise you will land up with avg-below avg scores & the avg in sociology might be lesser than that of philosophy/psychology/PSIR.
    - All the good teachers of the subjects are in Delhi only.One might be required to come here if coaching is opted for.

Nevertheless,sociology is going to be a great experience,given you have right guidance & read the right things. I am totally loving it !!
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
    ·
  • Someone please suggest a complete booklist along with a suitable time frame in order to complete the whole syllabus of sociology optional by 31st december.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google