Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes for 2018 : Attend three days of Classes at FourmIAS Offline Center in New Delhi.
Learn how to make own notes from newspaper and alayze issues for CSE.

Click here to : (1) Register, (2) Download Broucher (3) Click here to enroll ONLINE | OFFLINE Click
Course commences on 28th October at 5PM

Seniors please advise : pros and cons of choosing Sociology Optional

Hello Seniors ,
I am appearing for CSE 2017 and need your guidance regarding Sociology Optional. I have shortlisted philosophy and Sociology as my 2 choices and need to finalize one .

Senior who already have Sociology Optional , please guide regarding pros and cons of Sociology Optional.

Thanks

Comments

• bro if your graduation subject comes the optional basket of upsc better go with it even if its engineering or commerce etc.
    now coming to your quest -
    abt socio - its syllabus is small, helps in paper IV and eassay, related to society so may find it interesting.
    cons - not very high scoring.
  • Choosing Sociology Optional :
    - A very interesting & engaging subject in itself which provides us with a new perspective of looking at everyday things.

Pros:
    - Syllabus aspects are interesting & of high relevance in understanding socio-economic issues for civil servants.
    - Directly helps in GS Paper 1 , Essays & can also be interlinked with rest of the topics.
    - Moderate size of syllabus.
    - Good Coaching / Material-Books / Test series widely available.
    - Producing toppers continuously

Cons:
    - Demands in-depth conceptual understanding & application-orientated mindset for high scores.Otherwise you will land up with avg-below avg scores & the avg in sociology might be lesser than that of philosophy/psychology/PSIR.
    - All the good teachers of the subjects are in Delhi only.One might be required to come here if coaching is opted for.

Nevertheless,sociology is going to be a great experience,given you have right guidance & read the right things. I am totally loving it !!
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
  • Someone please suggest a complete booklist along with a suitable time frame in order to complete the whole syllabus of sociology optional by 31st december.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog